Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CX-3 Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a 2019 cx-3 touring last night and I have a question. I looked at the side view mirror and didn’t see the faint outline of the symbol that lights up that indicates a car is next to you. I was under the impression that all touring came standard with blind spot, city braking and rear cross traffic. There were no switches other than TCS button in the bank of switches by your knee.

shouldn’t a touring have these options?

·
Registered
547 Posts
So heres the biggest bs of the newer car 'safety tech' logic. Automatic braking etc are all standard now, and is identified partly by the big box of tech behind the rear view mirror on the windshield but blind spot is still considered luxury item.

I have personal feelings about automatic braking after almost being collided into an accident in my girlfriends 2018 nissan rouge which decided to randomly brake and almost force a rear end collision even though nothing was in front of her (nissan has a class action suit pending over this). Ironically the logic of forcing this stuff in cars is safety YET almost all manufacturers dont add in blind spot monitoring which imo is infinitely more useful and used than automatic braking.

But yea mazda doesnt add it on many 'base' model trim levels and you usually have to shell out more for higher trim models to get it. Havent checked in a while but when looking at 2020 models around the us site I noticed blindspot was missing.

·
Registered
2019 CX-3 Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I agree with you on blind spot. I strongly feel that the reason this safety tech isn’t implemented on a wider basis and isn’t standard like airbags is because someone is making money off of the number of accidents the lack of this tech causes. It’s just a hunch but all you have to do is follow the money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2019 Touring has the options you mentioned - blind spot monitoring, city breaking (up to 19 mph), and rear cross-traffic alert. There aren't switches for these as the settings are available in the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here's another question about blind spot monitoring.

Does anyone else get the warning beep and mirror symbol light up when making a right turn? I've had it happen on left turns as well, but not as often.

It seems the sensor is easily confused and believes following traffic is in your blind spot as you make the turn. While I like the blind spot warning, it can be just another annoying feature like the lane departure warning that I have switched off.

·
Registered
2019 CX-3 Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2019 Touring has the options you mentioned - blind spot monitoring, city breaking (up to 19 mph), and rear cross-traffic alert. There aren't switches for these as the settings are available in the infotainment screen.
When you back up, and there is something directly behind you like another car or pole, does your system beep? Does the display show anything? Mine doesn’t beep or show anything other than the bars. I’ve been in the settings trying to figure out why this isn’t generating an alert. All volume setting are on high And all system checkboxes are checked. I’ve also stood at the rear to the side of the bumper, past it with the car slowly moving in reverse (daughter was driving) to see if I could trigger something like a pedestrian would/should...nothing. I’ve read the manual but Cant find anything to make this work. My Camaro beeps like mad as you get closer to the obstruction, my Jeep as well. Does this work the same?

Sorry for the questions but I just brought this home last night. I’m trying to verify all the tech works.

The tech in this car is amazing. Mine is actually a sport, with all the crazy options with the exception of heated seats, sunroof, leather, sign reading and the button on the door handle and the other obscure options. It even has the heads up display, which I though was a little cheesy at first, then I saw it folded down automatically. Which was pretty cool. It reminds me of a fighter jet HUD. The high beam thing and adaptive headlights blew me away too. So cool! I winced a little thinking about how much it would cost to replace a headlight though. Lol.
The car was a very strange find, one that I wasn’t expecting.

·
Registered
547 Posts
When you back up, and there is something directly behind you like another car or pole, does your system beep? Does the display show anything? Mine doesn’t beep or show anything other than the bars. I’ve been in the settings trying to figure out why this isn’t generating an alert. All volume setting are on high And all system checkboxes are checked. I’ve also stood at the rear to the side of the bumper, past it with the car slowly moving in reverse (daughter was driving) to see if I could trigger something like a pedestrian would/should...nothing. I’ve read the manual but Cant find anything to make this work. My Camaro beeps like mad as you get closer to the obstruction, my Jeep as well. Does this work the same?
My backup monitoring only beeps when it senses movement while reversing such as another car or person crossing your rear line of sight. You can reverse into anything stationary and it wouldn't know the difference unless something is moving.

Ironically the opposite works with the blind spot monitoring. It senses lack of movement in the 'area' when everything around it is moving faster meaning something is maintaining a speed and is sensed in your 'blindspot' instead of being passed at a rate predetermined in the programming.

*things might have changed a bit between 2016 and the newer ones but the concept is relatively the same.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here's another question about blind spot monitoring.

Does anyone else get the warning beep and mirror symbol light up when making a right turn? I've had it happen on left turns as well, but not as often.

It seems the sensor is easily confused and believes following traffic is in your blind spot as you make the turn. While I like the blind spot warning, it can be just another annoying feature like the lane departure warning that I have switched off.
Yea its awkward but its one of the sideeffects of it. It depends how much the guy behind you is tailing you and mostly happens when they accelerate to pass you as you are like 3/4 done with your turn. They enter the 'blind zone'. If anything I would say take it as a sign your system is working as it should. :)

·
Registered
2019 CX-3 Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My backup monitoring only beeps when it senses movement while reversing such as another car or person crossing your rear line of sight. You can reverse into anything stationary and it wouldn't know the difference unless something is moving.

I
Ah... so it only detects moving things when in reverse! I didn’t know that. Still, I walked behind the bumper while the car was moving slowly and there was no indication of any kind. I was close enough to touch the car so it should have “seen” me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ah... so it only detects moving things when in reverse! I didn’t know that. Still, I walked behind the bumper while the car was moving slowly and there was no indication of any kind. I was close enough to touch the car so it should have “seen” me.

Thanks!
So I might have mispoken when I said in the 'line of sight'. Im not exactly sure how it calculates the rear proximity since my car doesnt have any visible sensors in the bumper which leaves me to presume 1 of 2 things is possible. They have an algorithm that tries to estimate something is moving using the picture image of the rear camera which would be a terrible idea since dirt or even water would throw false positives or not work at all. Another plausible thing could be the car uses the 'blind spot' sensors. I feel like this is more likely since I get a premature warning as I pull out of my driveway when something is approaching from the side even if it isnt close within the actual view of the rear camera. This might explain why it might not always trigger especially if you are direcrtly behind it. Then again I could be completely wrong but Ive yet to see any information on how this is done :/

On the bright side the bumper doesnt have the sensor hole/spots on it which ruin the flow of car imo haha

·
Registered
2019 CX-3 Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I might have mispoken when I said in the 'line of sight'. Im not exactly sure how it calculates the rear proximity since my car doesnt have any visible sensors in the bumper which leaves me to presume 1 of 2 things is possible. They have an algorithm that tries to estimate something is moving using the picture image of the rear camera which would be a terrible idea since dirt or even water would throw false positives or not work at all. Another plausible thing could be the car uses the 'blind spot' sensors. I feel like this is more likely since I get a premature warning as I pull out of my driveway when something is approaching from the side even if it isnt close within the actual view of the rear camera. This might explain why it might not always trigger especially if you are direcrtly behind it. Then again I could be completely wrong but Ive yet to see any information on how this is done :/

On the bright side the bumper doesnt have the sensor hole/spots on it which ruin the flow of car imo haha
lol. I hate those holes too. Given the radar is behind the facia, leads me to believe they are using a totally different type of sensor than most manufacturers.

Well, I’m headed out to see if I can determine if it’s working or not.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2019 CX-3 Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took it for a drive and strangely enough, the blind spot monitor was now working. Now I know everything was set to on yesterday and there is no way I could have missed the yellow lights Because they are bright. On my way home from the dealer, the monitor should have gone off because i was on a 4 lane road and there was lots of traffic around me. Come to think of it, none of the cars I test drove with this feature didn’t alert me once. I wonder if the sensors turns off if the car sits for a while. I’m relieved to say everything seems to be working. The BSM is a really cool feature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts