Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out:

Driving Television

So, Mazda 2 is not coming to North America. Instead Toyota and Mazda teamed up to bring the Mazda 2 in Toyota skin. Inside the GT Yaris looks exactly like the Mazda CX 3. The difference is (and it is a big difference!) they decided to drop in a wimpy smaller Toyota engine.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've seen the Scion iA. IMO, its weird that Toyota sourced a Mazda instead of having their own internal model. I mean, Toyota is a massive company yet they chose to source from tiny little Mazda and most likely kept the 2 from coming to the US in its natural Mazda form. I've seen many new Mazda2's and its a much more attractive model yet they allowed Toyota to water it down and jack up the front.

·
Registered
234 Posts
earlier this year toyota and mazda are in a partnership for various tech exchanges. the mazda 2/iA thing is the byproduct of that partnership with others being in the works. Currently Mazda will not take on any of toyota hybrid systems as it does not meet the company's mpg goals. So at the very least no mazda hybrids which i cringe at the idea of since they are not easy to fix. there are rumors and i stress this out RUMORS that toyota may be borrowing the miata chassis for something interesting. again RUMOR!!! that i heard internally.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have owned many Toyotas in my lifetime, 74 Corolla, 84 Corolla, 86 MR2, 87 4Runner and 07 4Runner. Many exceeded 120k miles. On the plus side... All bulletproof and extremely reliable. On the minus side... Except for the MR2, all were as boring as vanilla ice cream. Toyota's trademark is a reliable design for the masses. Gone are the Celica, MR2 and Supra. It appears Toyota is trying to get a little more Zoom Zoom in the lineup and if the redesigned Corolla is the best they can do alone, then they are wise to partner with Mazda. For a small automaker, Mazda is producing one hit after another. BMW would be proud to have the CX3's steering and the MX5's shifter feel in their 80k M3. Mercedes Benz would be proud to incorporate Mazda's reliability into their lineup. Porsche would be proud to advertise the curb weights of the Mazda vehicles. These world class automakers whose products typically cost 2-4 times more than a CX3 Grand Touring are noticing Mazda. Toyota is doing something about it, they are partnering with Mazda to learn.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The 2016 Yaris isn't too bad. It's got that nice guppy grille going on.
I've been seeing a lot of younger people in it and that sure goes a long way for showing how it's picking up in sales, up from before when i hardly seen them and when I did, had older people in them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Their main market for the yaris is the younger generation so not surprised you see them in it. And it's cheap too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts