Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While merrily driving along in my beautiful CX-3, the SatNav suddenly said: "SD CARD INVALID”. Luckily, I knew my way home. A mechanic at the garage told me it was a known fault with the 2016 SD card, and it would be replaced in a couple of days. This was on the 12th October 2021. Later, the garage emailed me saying Mazda Handsfree Support required numerous items [dumps, logs, proof of purchase, photos of back and front of card, and on and on and on]. I sent all these [and, being elderly, it took me some time to find them]. After a while, Handsfree replied with a lengthy explanation of how to download TOOLBOX, create a pw, etc., in order to update the maps. Sigh!

I responded with: THIS IS NOT ABOUT UPDATING MAPS. IT’S ABOUT MY CX-3 SUDDENLY NO LONGER RECOGNISING THE SD CARD WHICH HAS BEEN WORKING FINE SINCE THE CAR WAS BOUGHT NEW IN 2016. MORE THAN A MONTH AGO – OUT OF THE BLUE – I GOT THE MESSAGE: “SD CARD INVALID”.

I mean, from what I had given them, it was obvious that I already had downloaded TOOLBOX and already had a login and a p/w that could gain me access.

Handsfree: could I send all the attachments again, and they would contact the “responsible department”? Sigh! Eventually, and after many an email, they said it must be a hardware failure and I needed to contact my dealership. But how can it be a hardware failure when Toolbox is able to recognise the SD card?

The dealership in Oldham has just contacted me with a joyous “At last we have a solution”. Yay!! “The SD card is faulty”. Get away!! “The cost of the card is discounted at £347.47 + vat”. What!! “Sorry it has taken so long to get a solution in this matter”. Needless to say this is not the “solution” I was expecting. It is now the 14th Dec. I am at my wits’ end and have wasted hours on this. I do not have a fancy phone that connects to the internet and what they say about women and maps is true in my case, so I am very reliant on this Sat Nav. I thought, like the steering wheel and the handbrake, it would be with the car for life. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone think of a better “solution” than paying £347.47 + vat?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thankfully I've not had that problem with my 2016 SD card. In your situation, I would take these steps :-

1) Send an e-mail Mazda Customer Relations at [email protected] (their phone number is 03457 484848) with a summary of your problem and the totally unacceptable reply you've had from your dealer about wanting to charge you £347.47+VAT for a replacement card when Toolbox software has no trouble reading your current card etc. Ask them how they intend to resolve this problem to your satisfaction

2) If the above fails, then did you make a back-up of your SD card when you first installed the Toolbox software on your PC/laptop? If so, then it could be worth trying the restore option as this was suggested in a post on the CX-30 forum (see Original NAV SD card corrupted). The steps required are shown on this Mazda webpage :- JCI Mazda

3) There are/were Mazda Sat Nav SD cards available on eBay at far less cost but I'm not 100% sure if they will work when your car has previously had a SD card fitted. You would need confirmation from the seller that you could return the card if it doesn't work for a full refund.

Hope you get a solution

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankfully I've not had that problem with my 2016 SD card. In your situation, I would take these steps :-

1) Send an e-mail Mazda Customer Relations at [email protected] (their phone number is 03457 484848) with a summary of your problem and the totally unacceptable reply you've had from your dealer about wanting to charge you £347.47+VAT for a replacement card when Toolbox software has no trouble reading your current card etc. Ask them how they intend to resolve this problem to your satisfaction

2) If the above fails, then did you make a back-up of your SD card when you first installed the Toolbox software on your PC/laptop? If so, then it could be worth trying the restore option as this was suggested in a post on the CX-30 forum (see Original NAV SD card corrupted). The steps required are shown on this Mazda webpage :- JCI Mazda

3) There are/were Mazda Sat Nav SD cards available on eBay at far less cost but I'm not 100% sure if they will work when your car has previously had a SD card fitted. You would need confirmation from the seller that you could return the card if it doesn't work for a full refund.

Hope you get a solution
Thanks for that st3v3cx-3. Mazda Customer Relations was my first port of call. It was they who gave me the contact for Handsfree. I copied them in to all my emails to Handsfree and the dealership in Oldham. I shall try what you suggest once I am in possession of the SD card again. It currently resides with the garage. They asked for it some time ago - thus, giving me hope they were going to fix it. I sent them the following today:

Apologies for late response to your email – it has taken me a while to come out of shock. Obvs, this was not the “solution” I was expecting. When I first contacted the dealership about this, your mechanic told me that it was a known problem with the 2016 SD card, and that it would be replaced in a couple of days. Could I pursue this with him?

You say the card needs to be replaced “due to being faulty reference mazda technical” [see below]. What do you mean by this and could you give me more information as to what is allegedly wrong with the card? I need to know more as, since Toolbox can read the card, how can it be faulty? Surely it must be the reader in the CX-3 at fault. I’m worried, therefore, that the same thing would happen with a new card.

If “the cost of the card is discounted at £347.47 + vat” then how much is the non-discounted product?

As you know, I was neither impressed nor convinced by the response from Mazda Handsfree Support.

I'm wondering if there is a way to clean the reader in the CX-3. I intended "having a go" with some iso-prop and a cotton bud, but the slot was too slender.
When I first searched on this forum - re. SD cards - it was mostly about people having bought SD cards on ebay which did not work. I was surprised as I assumed every CX-3 came with a dedicated Sat Nav.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had my Mazda navigation SD cards become corrupt for me a couple of times over the years. I stopped using the Mazda Nav all together.

I now use my iphone Map app on my phone for all my navigation instead. I mounted it on my air vent with this (see photo below).

VICSEED Car Phone Holder Mount

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper Gadget

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my Mazda navigation SD cards become corrupt for me a couple of times over the years. I stopped using the Mazda Nav all together.

I now use my iphone Map app on my phone for all my navigation instead. I mounted it on my air vent with this (see photo below).

VICSEED Car Phone Holder Mount

View attachment 23988
Hi Blundar. You say "a couple of times" - so you must have either replaced [or repaired] at least one SD card. Did you replace the corrupt one with a new one? Was the corrupt one readable by Toolbox? An ad for Air France has just popped up - I can get to Bogota and back for less than the so-called discounted price of a new card [£347.47 + vat]. Reply from Oldham dealership on the 17th Dec : "I have forwarded your email to my manager about this matter. We will be in touch". We shall see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first corrupted card was several years ago. It was more than 1 year old at the time. I ended up having to buy a new current year card to replace it.

The second card became corrupt around 2 months after I paid for it. The dealer wanted me to buy a whole new card as if I had not had GPS at all for $400.

That is when I decided to completely ditch it for iPhone map app. I also had the option to upgrade to Apple Car Play for around $600 (installed by the dealer), but I decided against it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts