Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to make a purchase in the next couple weeks. I have narrowed down my search and need feedback between 2 sub-compact SUV's, but each in a different category.

What is the advantage of the AWD system in the Mazda when compared to Quattro?
Price is approx $6000 difference, but I do receive free servicing for 36 months on the Audi.....is there justification for the additional price?
Any other reasons to choose one over the other?

·
Registered
234 Posts
the cx3 is actually closer to the awd system found in the audi TT with the haldex system where during normal driving in safe driving conditions the vehicle is normally fwd bias meaning majority of the power is driven to the front wheels. when slip is detected the rear clutches in the differential engages and then splits power to which ever wheel requires it. the quattro on the other hand does its awd system differently in that there is not transfer case. instead half of the drive shaft there is a center differential when engage sends power 50:50 to both axles and then divides again to each wheel.

now the cost aspect. German cars are very expensive to maintain in the long run as i have serviced a few friends audi's and my goodness the control arms for for example on all 4 sides was 1400 used. im also very curious what exactly what servicing they consider what is free here (oil changes or what not since its only for 3 years). Mazdas arent exactly cheap either but much cheaper than audi's for sure (at lease here in the US).

I would research on what exactly the cost break down between these "free" services compared to normal services for the cx3 and see if that justifies it.

and feel free anyone to correct me on any of this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would research on what exactly the cost break down between these "free" services compared to normal services for the cx3 and see if that justifies it.
If that is is the deciding factor just double check what is free. They offer that in Australia a bit, but it will just be the base service that is free. So then they add on labour, add ons like premium oil, washer fluid, safety checks, tyre rotations, scheduled service items etc etc etc (because you know, they are apparently not normal service items)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Hello,

I am looking to make a purchase in the next couple weeks. I have narrowed down my search and need feedback between 2 sub-compact SUV's, but each in a different category.

What is the advantage of the AWD system in the Mazda when compared to Quattro?
Price is approx $6000 difference, but I do receive free servicing for 36 months on the Audi.....is there justification for the additional price?
Any other reasons to choose one over the other?
I looked at a Q3 but found that to spec it up to the same level cost me a lot more than your $6000 difference - at least double that. There is something about an Audi that exudes quality but I in terms of build quality, they do not always live up to their reputation. I just wasn’t as comfortable with German as I was with Japanese. The Audi may well have a better residual value when you come to sell it.

the cx3 is actually closer to the awd system found in the audi TT with the haldex system where during normal driving in safe driving conditions the vehicle is normally fwd bias meaning majority of the power is driven to the front wheels. when slip is detected the rear clutches in the differential engages and then splits power to which ever wheel requires it. the quattro on the other hand does its awd system differently in that there is not transfer case. instead half of the drive shaft there is a center differential when engage sends power 50:50 to both axles and then divides again to each wheel.
Snoogs, this is the most awkward description of the AWD system I’ve ever read. I don’t mean to tell you off but it would help if you threw in the odd capital letter at the beginning of a sentence. I’ve read it about 4 times and it still doesn’t make one iota of sense to me (a qualified engineer) so how this poor chap is supposed to fathom it is beyond me. Would you mind having another go. Are you saying that the Q3 has a Haldex arrangement?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Honestly, I love my CX-3 but I don't think you can really compare Mazda's AWD system with Audi's Quattro. The general consensus is that Quattro is really the best of the best AWD system out there.

Having said that, I seriously doubt you'll notice much difference in every day driving between the two systems. many people here have posted that the CX-3 handles very capably in snow, even on the stock tires.

I'm also certain the price difference for a similarly equipped Q3 is far more than $6000. The Q3 starts at $33,000, that in itself is about $6000 more than the GT trim with i-Activesense package.

I looked at the Q3 a while ago, it was a nice little CUV but it really didn't look and feel like an Audi to me when I was sitting down in it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Snoogs, this is the most awkward description of the AWD system I’ve ever read. I don’t mean to tell you off but it would help if you threw in the odd capital letter at the beginning of a sentence. I’ve read it about 4 times and it still doesn’t make one iota of sense to me (a qualified engineer) so how this poor chap is supposed to fathom it is beyond me. Would you mind having another go. Are you saying that the Q3 has a Haldex arrangement?
The Cx3 is actually closer to the awd system found in the Audi TT with a what is called a haldex system. During normal driving in safe driving conditions the vehicle is normally front wheel drive bias meaning majority of the power is driven to the front wheels. When slip is detected the rear clutches in the differential engages and then splits power to which ever wheel requires it. The Quattro awd system on the other hand does it's awd engagement differently in that there is not transfer case incorporated. Instead, half way down the drive shaft there is a center differential that when engage sends power 50:50 to both axles and then divides again to each wheel, constantly changing which wheel gets how much power depending on road conditions. Wiki the quattro to explain the non existent transfer case because I'm not all 100% sure how that works yet.

Sorry about the previous confusing post as I was typing that while really sick and was really late. I just wanted to put some input as very recently I help disassembled and reassembled a 2001 Audi TT Haldex unit at school and learned a lot of how it works. Also I finished my training course regarding the features of the CX3 and MX5 around Sept and really wish I could get a hold of those training videos that explains a lot of the systems but they were all those "Mazda Use Only" nonsense.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The Cx3 is actually closer to the awd system found in the Audi TT with a what is called a haldex system. During normal driving in safe driving conditions the vehicle is normally front wheel drive bias meaning majority of the power is driven to the front wheels. When slip is detected the rear clutches in the differential engages and then splits power to which ever wheel requires it. The Quattro awd system on the other hand does it's awd engagement differently in that there is not transfer case incorporated. Instead, half way down the drive shaft there is a center differential that when engage sends power 50:50 to both axles and then divides again to each wheel, constantly changing which wheel gets how much power depending on road conditions. Wiki the quattro to explain the non existent transfer case because I'm not all 100% sure how that works yet.

Sorry about the previous confusing post as I was typing that while really sick and was really late. I just wanted to put some input as very recently I help disassembled and reassembled a 2001 Audi TT Haldex unit at school and learned a lot of how it works. Also I finished my training course regarding the features of the CX3 and MX5 around Sept and really wish I could get a hold of those training videos that explains a lot of the systems but they were all those "Mazda Use Only" nonsense.
OK buddy thanks. Sorry to hear you were ill.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Current Q3 has also got the Haldex with 90:10 torque distribution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One of my best friends has a 2014 Audi Q3 TDI and she absolutely loves it. However, as a number of others have mentioned the difference in price is substantial once you add the various extras onto the Q3 to bring it in line with the CX-3.

Having said that, the extra money spent on the Audi is getting you better quality interior plastics, an excellent level of fit and finish in the cabin, and a quieter more refined ride, especially at highway speeds.

I'm not sure how the overall build quality and reliability of the two compare. Both German and Japanese built vehicles are generally well respected, although perhaps in this case it's Spanish or Chinese vs Thai build that should be considered...

I certainly think the CX-3 is very impressive when you consider the price difference.

As for the AWD systems, perhaps if you were to give more information on what type of conditions you plan to drive in, then existing owners could give their experiences on driving in those conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I like documents to read rather than sketchy info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With all the talk of the AWD system I thought I'd link this video. It's a CX-3 AWD vs Subaru (not an Audi Quattro). It still shows the AWD in action, and looks to be doing a pretty good job.

http://youtu.be/J66v5hdHAxw

Based on the likes vs dislikes on the video it may have been watched by a lot of Subaru fans :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all of the information....a few more nits of information so there is no confusion.

The Price on the CX3 would be $35,000 including all fees and taxes while the Q3 is $41,000. The Q3 is a discounted 2015 model.

I live In Calgary Canada, basically the Canadian version of Denver Colorado. We get a lot of snow, mountains are 45 minutes away and I would be keeping the vehicle for more than 5 years.

With regards to the free servicing, the Audi offers free scheduled oil changes, filter changes, fluid top-ups, etc for 3 years. There is no additional labor costs and it matches the BMW no charge maintenance plan.

I just need advice if the price difference is worthwhile for an extended period of ownership. Both are great, but one needs to be the future vehicle in my driveway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
IMHO, most vehicles in the market today have it's pros vs. cons, you could go on forever trying to decide. The more you compare, the more trivial it seems.

I spent the entire Fall season deciding between a 2016 WRX and my current 2016 CX-3. While they are not essentially the same "category" of cars, both had the AWD that I knew was a "must" for winter. The WRX is far superior in handling and performance in every way, whilst the CX3 was much better equipped, better looking and more suited for DD purposes.

In the end I said "f**k it" and bought my CX3 GT. I have never, for even a second, thought "damn I wish I went with the WRX". The endless mental debates vanished the moment I took delivery of the CX3.

In short: whichever vehicle you go with - you will end up liking it. There will be it's shortcomings, but you will find an infinite number of things to like about it. At the end of the day, either will get you from A to B. Everything else is just an added bonus.

·
Registered
193 Posts
e85 you appear to have done your homework and now the decision is yours. My local Mazda dealership offers 24-hour test drives for serious buyers. When you can drive the vehicle for a day... take it to work, grocery shopping, run errands... drive it like you own it, then you can get a good sense if the vehicle is a good fit for you. I recommend requesting a 24-hour test drive to help in your decision making process.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to comment on this, having owned Audis previously & test drove the Q3 a few months before the CX3 even existed in the US. It was a nice ride, I think it was slightly bigger & had a nice moonroof. I won't get into any issues I had with the Audis because one of them was a fluke .. but I had Quattro sporty coupes & they drove like SUVs in the snow, all season sport tires & all. Snow hills in the road from the plow? Right through them. I'm actually a bit nervous that my CX3 might slip more or not handle as well as the Audis so if we actually get snow this year in NY (NYC suburbs) I'll find out. I'm hoping this AWD technology in the Mazda holds true & impresses me.

I had to add air to the CX3 tires last week, it was 60 degrees one day and 30 the next. Never with the Audis. I had to laugh bc one thing I missed was when the Audi told you which tire it was! Silly little extras the luxury cars have that you take for granted!

I would've got that Q3 in a heartbeat but reality is, I needed a small SUV, I wanted as many bells & whistles as possible incl Sunroof, leather, Nav..,and my budget just doesn't allow for an Audi right now. The Q3 I wanted would've been well over $10k more. Probably closer to $15k more. Getting the GT was cheap coming off an expensive car & I didn't have to make TOO many sacrifices. Yes Audi holds decent value but I'm saving so much on service, gas(no premium anymore!) and payments it's ridiculous!

It's kind of apples to oranges to compare them in some ways. miss Quattro, turbo, among other little things but the CX3 does the job and then some so far...for now...& of course is so much sportier looking I Really enjoy it.

...But that doesn't mean I don't see a Q3 or Q5 in my future...:)

Good luck, I think either way (if price isn't an issue) you will be happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts