Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thank you for reading my thread

My CX3 was involved in a serious accident in November. Air bags deployed.

Since then I've had someone slowly repairing it. Cosmetically it's basically brand new but we cannot get it to start.

We replaced the transmission, starter solenoid, ac system.. Basically the front end. Everything in front of the engine.

Two codes were on the obd2

P0123
P0222

Both codes relate to the throttle body.

When I try to start the car, I can hear some clicking, possibly the fuel pump. Afterwards there is an electrical whining sound for a bit. The infotainment doesn't turn on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue is? The car has not been to the dealership, so the computer hasn't been reset in regards to the airbag or immobilizer or anything

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did you have the PCM, TCM, and/or BCM modules reflashed when you replaced the transmission and anything major component? Is this being done at a private shop or at a dealer? Usually when replacing the transmission the TCM has to be re flashed to accept the "new" transmission information. I would have a dealer look into it first off to point you in the right direction. Also there maybe hidden codes remaining that a "universal" scan tool may miss unless who ever is working on your vehicle has a license to gain full access to all of Mazda's codes. Universal scan tools can only look at "generic codes", codes that are legally required to be seen by universal code readers but still allow manufactures to hide or prevent manufacture specific codes from being read.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Can you hear the fuel pump Prime when you switch the ignition on? There is usually something to turn the fuel off in the case of a heavy collision which would need to be reset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do not think that the fuel pump is turning on. there is an electronic hum, but nothing that sounds like the fuel pump.

how would i reset that?

also nothing has been flashed to my knowledge. we were hoping to be able to start it and limp it to the dealership.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Wow! StreetSweeper's a brave soul!!!!

I'd suggest following Anchorman's lead, sign up, and download the pertinent sections of the Workshop/Service Manual.
P.S. Where did you get the transmission? Amazon? ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Lol the transmission came from another cx3. There was only one other wrecked cx3 where I live. I am the owner if the vehicle, not the mechanic who was working on it. As he doesn't have the equipment to flash this kind of stuff, I thought I'd ask around before towing it all over the place lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i spoke with the dealership and they said there is no inertia switch

nothing was flashed so im sure thats where we'll start.

thanks to everyone who passed along advice :)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
i spoke with the dealership and they said there is no inertia switch

nothing was flashed so im sure thats where we'll start.

thanks to everyone who passed along advice :)
You can soon tell if there is fuel to the injectors. Disconnect the pipe on the end of the fuel rail and switch the ignition on. TAKE APPROPRIATE CARE - it comes out at a fair rate of knots. Check for a spark with an old plug laid on top of the engine (make sure its earthed) and watch for a spark. Assuming it has not been damaged enough to effect the compression, it only needs fuel and a spark and it will run in some form or another. If its been in a bump, pay attention to all the sensors around the engine (crank position and cam position). I’ve attached some pdf’s that might help.

I’ve attached the fault guides from the CX-3 manual for engine won’t start

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Where do I go to get my local dealer to be one tenth as helpful as the Anchorman?

P.S. Streetsweepr74, where are you located? For some reason, I'm assuming the U.S., correct?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Actually, like a clown I’ve attached the guides for the 1.5D engine and the only other one I’ve got is a huge file that covers the entire engine. Its way too big for the forum but if you pm me with your email address, I’ll send it to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in Canada. West Coast

I'll take a look at the file you posted when I'm home from work. The vehicle is now at the dealership so I'll leave it to them to test

I'll update when I have more information :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info anchorman. I'll PM you.

I got a partial report from the dealership.

a blown fuse prevented startup. they did a hand crank and they said it didnt sound good. they'll check it out more tomorrow, but im worried about that

we did notice some plastic from the engine manifold fell in, and we removed it..but i wonder if more got in. could that affect the hand crank? it hasnt been started so it wouldnt have made its way to the oil pan yet...

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Just seen this - sorry.

Yes, even a piece of plastic could stop the engine from being hand turned. I'd like to know where it came from too. I take it the inlet manifold was damaged in the accident?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes the intake manifold was damaged

turns out it wasnt starting due to a blown fuse. the engine is fine, but when we put the transmission back in, it wasnt dont properly. i cant remember exactly what the tech said, but basically something wasnt spaced properly so when it turned it was rubbing on the starter. its about to be taken out and fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts