Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

2016 CX-3, battery is draining in 1-2 days, I'm measuring 2.3A from the battery when the car is off. I pulled every fuse and relay in the engine and driver fuse boxes, still drawing 2.3A. I don't know how to test if it's the alternator, but I suspect it's the diode, has anybody had this issue? How do you test if it's the alternator? Is there a guide for alternator replacement?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Noticed a similar thing with my 2016. But it was much lower. Only really made a difference to the I-stop function (would need to reach the required charge level before active again - light being green). Sometimes same issue in the colder months of the year. Chalked it down to the Dashcam (maintains a charge for 1hr after engine is off) and the Tracker unit (which is never meant to power off).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little embarrassed, I was using a brand new multimeter that was auto ranging amps. I switched to another one and it was actually reading 230mA, not 2.3A. This is still high. I did some googling on parasitic draw and found the issue was I wasn't waiting long enough, maybe after 15 min it dropped to 110mA, then maybe 30-45 min later, it dropped to steady 11mA (I do have a long range 1 mile 2 way remote start I put in). So apparently, there's a lot going on in the computer for up 45 minutes after you turn the car off.

Anyways, I was on my 3rd battery dying in 4 years, and figured there had to be something else going on, but I think I just had bad luck got 3 bad batteries. Put a new one in and it doesn't die in a day, and starts strong at 0 degrees outside after 3 days.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hahahhah. Live and learn.

That sounds about right, went and measured mine earlier just to see - seems steady at 16mA.

As for your battery that is a little bit concerning, but then again outside temp conditions do affect the life span of a battery. But that seems a bit excessive.... maybe the brand? Or speak to a dealer, or better yet search the forum for battery info and tips. I haven't changed my battery since driving away from the dealer.
Averaging 19 000km mileage per a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts