LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Spring/Summer Change

Today:
Took off the winter rims and winter tires, replaced with the summer rims and all seasons.
Bit the bullet and bought/installed the Rhino Rack Vortex 2500 FMP Roof Racks.
Looking at getting the Inno Carbon Shadow 15, or Inno Wedge 660 Roof Boxes. If anyone has any feedback on these it would be much appreciated.
Definite need for a low profile box (garages and such). Will be hauling snowboards in winter, and some camping gear any time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	22077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	22079  
Dean and SlyCoopers like this.

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Im just gonna chant "KO2, KO2" in the background until we have matching cars lol just keep in mind the massive width of the rhino rack crossbars. Its very limiting since 'universal' roof rack equipment such as a basket, sports equipment mounts, or boxes need a mounting point which can be fine tuned (the reason why the rhino rack xtray works so well is because you can slide the mounting points until it perfectly matches the cross bar location). Im sure theres stuff out there that will work but dont trust anything until youve test fitted it yourself.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #3 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
something I continue to consider.

I have carried an amazing amount to the Abbotsford Airshow & will do it again this year.
I once worked for the now defunct Greyhound Canada, I know how to pack a cargo space,
however there's always that last minute " I wish I could go with you guys "
but the Cx-3 only holds enough for two people for one week.
I use my old Smartphone connected to my rear dash cam thus still having rear visibility.

Add much wind noise with roof open and/or closed ? with just the rack ? and then loaded ?
Let us know how it affects handling in the strong winds.
My Blazer was a fight to drive through crosswinds when it was stacked high.

She's all shiny, too bad you live a city where the city's snow movement creates puddles until ? Stampede ?

zoom-zoom

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore × Stroke: 83.5 × 91.2 mm (3.29 × 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0

post #4 of 12 Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Im just gonna chant "KO2, KO2" in the background until we have matching cars lol just keep in mind the massive width of the rhino rack crossbars. Its very limiting since 'universal' roof rack equipment such as a basket, sports equipment mounts, or boxes need a mounting point which can be fine tuned (the reason why the rhino rack xtray works so well is because you can slide the mounting points until it perfectly matches the cross bar location). Im sure theres stuff out there that will work but dont trust anything until youve test fitted it yourself.
Thanks Sly! Yeah hahaha maybe the KO’s next winter season. Deeper snow I’m sure they are awesome but....how’s the grip on ice? Our climate here in the winter can go from melting snow +5C in the day, to -15C at night. The next morning is a skating rink of ice and ruts lol!

Good points to consider for the rack though. The guys at our shop are pretty good. They have a good inventory so I threw on a few boxes on top to try them out. That’s how I narrowed to the 2 Innos. The clamps do fit. I think at this point it’s just a matter of preference.
SlyCoopers likes this.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-20-2019, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
something I continue to consider.

I have carried an amazing amount to the Abbotsford Airshow & will do it again this year.
I once worked for the now defunct Greyhound Canada, I know how to pack a cargo space,
however there's always that last minute " I wish I could go with you guys "
but the Cx-3 only holds enough for two people for one week.
I use my old Smartphone connected to my rear dash cam thus still having rear visibility.

Add much wind noise with roof open and/or closed ? with just the rack ? and then loaded ?
Let us know how it affects handling in the strong winds.
My Blazer was a fight to drive through crosswinds when it was stacked high.

She's all shiny, too bad you live a city where the city's snow movement creates puddles until ? Stampede ?

zoom-zoom
Ahhh the air show!! We used to live on the Island so we’d hop on over to Abbotsford when we were kids. Haven’t been for ions now though. Would like to make it out there again for sure.

For the moment I have not been able to test out the racks alone to any degree. This weekend I’ll be heading up to Kananaskis for the weekend but won’t have the box yet. However, I can tell the wind noise is pretty loud with the sunroof open. But haven’t heard it too much when it closed so no filtering into the cabin for now. I do expect that to change at highway speed however.
When I get the box I’ll be taking a longer trip soon after and I can’t test the whole thing out.
I don’t think I need to tell you that a wicked cross-wind spot is right by Seebe Dam where the #1 does a slow curve to the right (going west). Let’s let that be the first initial test hahah!

Ya I couldn’t wait any longer, puddles or no puddles I wanted my summer gear on. Likely another last snow dusting on May long as usual but....yep, Stampede lol! I’m actually going to try to be away from the duration of Stampede else I get in too many shenanigans that are not good for me. Jasper perhaps?

post #6 of 12 Old 04-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is this setup any better than the OEM side rails + cross bars?
post #7 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blltwthbttrflywngs View Post
Is this setup any better than the OEM side rails + cross bars?
For me, yes. The reason I chose to have this setup over the rails and crossbars is that the stock crossbars are curved upwards in the middle. Too much for my liking.
The Rhinos are a relatively flat and lower profile which, I think, goes with the car better. The crossbars themselves are a bit more heavy duty than the oem’s, and are profiled similar to the Thule Aeroblades.
Bonus is that all components are black. Not a fan of too much chrome or silver.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaG View Post
For me, yes. The reason I chose to have this setup over the rails and crossbars is that the stock crossbars are curved upwards in the middle. Too much for my liking.
The Rhinos are a relatively flat and lower profile which, I think, goes with the car better. The crossbars themselves are a bit more heavy duty than the oem’s, and are profiled similar to the Thule Aeroblades.
Bonus is that all components are black. Not a fan of too much chrome or silver.
Now you just need ko2 tires and that rally bar mod with lights up front
PandaG likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-17-2019, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaG View Post
Today:
Took off the winter rims and winter tires, replaced with the summer rims and all seasons.
Bit the bullet and bought/installed the Rhino Rack Vortex 2500 FMP Roof Racks.
Did you have to replace the plastic trimming on the roof? Or you just have to drill holes or modify it?
Do you have install instructions you could share? I'm thinking about getting some roof racks and this route seems to be the best choice for our needs.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-17-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blltwthbttrflywngs View Post
Did you have to replace the plastic trimming on the roof? Or you just have to drill holes or modify it?
Do you have install instructions you could share? I'm thinking about getting some roof racks and this route seems to be the best choice for our needs.
Its quite easy to take out you just have to use one of the nylon trim remover things (or anything else but these ones help prevent potential scratching of the paint) to prop the plastic trimming up from the rear and then it pulls out of some clips. You do have to drill holes in it but as long as youre in the 'ball park' of where it lines up with the actual hole slots on the roof (this part is hidden by the trim youll see what I mean when you take it off). Install instructions are mainly putting it together but its really simple and just one person can do it. If anything the frustation is going to be getting the rubber top piece to look even on the top of the cross bars but thats just an aesthetic preference.

The 'plastic piece' also isnt even plastic as I found out but like a metal piece with plastic/paint coating haha its actually a bit of a challenge to drill through but at least you dont have to worry about it breaking like actual plastic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode