Key Fob battery life - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By santa
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Key Fob battery life

29 months of ownership.
I remote started using MMS (as usual) went to open my door and -no familiar beep.
is the key in my pocket ? Yes it is!!
OK pressed unlock - nothing.
momentary dreaded feeling - car running can't get in it.
Read that in the manual - I can use a real key and then....

Psssst.. give your head a shake, there's another key fob inside that warm house.

Went to the dealer after work - they "gave" me a new battery.

So almost daily use and battery lasted 29 months for me.
I'll think I should break out my meter and check the battery on the second fob

- does the battery drop faster on the one in use ?
- what is the 'average' lifetime of the battery ?
Has anyone tried the "push to start" with a dead battery in the key fob ?

so many questions about a simple battery.



zoom-zoom no beep-beep

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore ◊ Stroke: 83.5 ◊ 91.2 mm (3.29 ◊ 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
Dean is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2018, 06:09 AM
Member
 
PeterTwoMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I recently changed battery in my key. A green warning light was indicating low battery level.
My lasted for 31 months until the warning light indication.

CX-3 Optimum 150 hp 2.0 petrol, automatic and AWD.
Meteor Grey.
PeterTwoMeter is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2018, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTwoMeter View Post
I recently changed battery in my key. A green warning light was indicating low battery level.
My lasted for 31 months until the warning light indication.
Mine lasted 26 months before the flashing green key light started. Quick battery replacement and all good.

Good Grammar is not a time of waste.

CX-3 Petrol
Cyclone1410 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 01-28-2018, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Cochise County Arizona (Southeastern AZ)
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTwoMeter View Post
I recently changed battery in my key. A green warning light was indicating low battery level.
My lasted for 31 months until the warning light indication.
Ah, I didn't know about the green warning light. I bought my 2016 CX-3 in Sept. 2017. One thing that worried me with the push button start was that if the battery in the key fob dies you're dead in the water so I replaced the battery in both key fobs, but kept the old ones for spares. I have it in my Outlook calendar to buy new ones next September, I was thinking 1 year was safe. Looks like 2 years is safe, but I'll still buy 2 new ones for spares, they're cheap enough. I keep 1 spare in the glove box as the key in the fob can get you in the car.

2016 CX-3 Touring AWD, Soul Red
20k miles as of Oct.2017
DaveInAZ is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
santa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denmark
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInAZ View Post
Ah, I didn't know about the green warning light. I bought my 2016 CX-3 in Sept. 2017. One thing that worried me with the push button start was that if the battery in the key fob dies you're dead in the water so I replaced the battery in both key fobs, but kept the old ones for spares. I have it in my Outlook calendar to buy new ones next September, I was thinking 1 year was safe. Looks like 2 years is safe, but I'll still buy 2 new ones for spares, they're cheap enough. I keep 1 spare in the glove box as the key in the fob can get you in the car.
You can still start the car, even if the battery is dead.
You just touch the start button with the fob while you press it (it's mentioned in the manual).
DaveInAZ likes this.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
santa is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-29-2018, 07:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Cochise County Arizona (Southeastern AZ)
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
You can still start the car, even if the battery is dead.
You just touch the start button with the fob while you press it (it's mentioned in the manual).
Found it in the User Manual PDF. Thanks, good to know.

2016 CX-3 Touring AWD, Soul Red
20k miles as of Oct.2017
DaveInAZ is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-30-2018, 05:39 AM
Senior Member
 
santa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denmark
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInAZ View Post
Found it in the User Manual PDF. Thanks, good to know.
Yeah, good to know we won't get stuck if the battery runs out and You can also unlock the door with the key hidden inside the fob ;-)

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
santa is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Onyursix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly... These batteries are really unpredictable in these fobs. 3v Battery, but realistically as soon as it drops "just" below, it can start to cause proximity issues.
However IF you're stranded with a dead fob battery, Push the FOB against the Start button instead of your finger and it WILL start.... its a safety back up.
Onyursix is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Onyursix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyursix View Post
Honestly... These batteries are really unpredictable in these fobs. 3v Battery, but realistically as soon as it drops "just" below, it can start to cause proximity issues.
However IF you're stranded with a dead fob battery, Push the FOB against the Start button instead of your finger and it WILL start.... its a safety back up.
annd this was already stated... my bad!
Onyursix is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome