7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-18-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Bonnet/Hood Struts

Has anyone bought these Bonnet/Hood struts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonnet-Hood.../252902356232?

I have tried to ask the seller if there are instructions available in English, but my answers have been "we don't install them".

I even tried Google translate, with no luck.

At the price, I'd give them a shot if they came with instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-19-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
From the pictures and description - Composition : 2Pcs (1Set) - I wouldn't count on instructions, especially in English.

But, I like the simplicity of the manual strut on Mazdas. My other car, a 2003 Kia Sorento that I bought new, the gas struts stopped working after a couple years. It was over a hundred dollars to replace them, even buying them from a parts store & installing myself, so for as much time I spend under the hood I just prop the hood up with a 1"x2" piece of wood.

2016 CX-3 Touring AWD, Soul Red
20k miles as of Oct.2017
post #3 of 16 Old 11-19-2017, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroper View Post
Has anyone bought these Bonnet/Hood struts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonnet-Hood.../252902356232?

I have tried to ask the seller if there are instructions available in English, but my answers have been "we don't install them".

I even tried Google translate, with no luck.

At the price, I'd give them a shot if they came with instructions.

There are some generic instructions - pictures - on the bottom of this Estonian web site selling Russian made gas struts

Pneumatic

The fitments would probably be similar to those for the struts on the ebay site you've mentioned

I've also found this ebay link for struts manufactured by a Taiwanese company called Sokie Tech

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Str...3/222630725357

They sell them in 4 colours - black, white, black carbon and silver carbon They are supplied with an installation manual (?) but unfortunately don't give a link to allow this to be checked prior to purchase
Jroper likes this.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options

post #4 of 16 Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Can say that I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3cx-3 View Post
There are some generic instructions - pictures - on the bottom of this Estonian web site selling Russian made gas struts

Pneumatic

The fitments would probably be similar to those for the struts on the ebay site you've mentioned

I've also found this ebay link for struts manufactured by a Taiwanese company called Sokie Tech

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Str...3/222630725357

They sell them in 4 colours - black, white, black carbon and silver carbon They are supplied with an installation manual (?) but unfortunately don't give a link to allow this to be checked prior to purchase
Fitted these exact bonnet struts to me CX3 from Sokie Tech, they did come with Instructions in the form of written and also pictures, I am sorry but I have thrown them away, but they are very easy to fit.
Hope this is of some help for you.
Drewuk and Jroper like this.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
post #5 of 16 Old 11-21-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippffo View Post
Fitted these exact bonnet struts to me CX3 from Sokie Tech, they did come with Instructions in the form of written and also pictures, I am sorry but I have thrown them away, but they are very easy to fit.
Hope this is of some help for you.
Did you have to drill any holes for installation?
post #6 of 16 Old 04-04-2018, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Guys,

Sorry for late replies, no did not have to drill any holes, all bolted up using existing mounting points.

Darren

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
post #7 of 16 Old 04-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just purchased the Skokie struts. They seem to fit easily enough but when I open the hood, the bracket attached to the hood pulls away from the hood. The bracket is a few inches long and bolts to the hood at the far end from where the strut attaches. At that point it attaches by double sided tape. Also seems to take more effort than I'd expect to open the hood and the hood closes very easily. Do I have something backwards here? Thanks for any help.

Ken

2016 Meteor Gray CX-3 Sport
Gunmetal Wheels
post #8 of 16 Old 04-17-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ken,

I installed the Sokie Tech strut kit and also found the hood brackets flexed a lot. I also found the initial force to get the hood to open or close was so much that I thought I was going to bend something. Even when gently starting the movement.

After reading and googling info on hood struts for days, I ended up ordering some struts from Amazon and ball ends from another site. I kept the Sokie brackets on the car. I'm not so concerned I will break something when I open and close the hood.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-17-2018, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the info!

Ken

2016 Meteor Gray CX-3 Sport
Gunmetal Wheels
post #10 of 16 Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I can never understand the aversion to prop rods. They weigh less, are dead simple so they do not go bad, and they are cheap to produce and replace. Further they do the job. Yes, they can get in the way, but how often are you under the hood to need hood struts to hold it out of the way. If you need that much room to work, then you are probably doing extensive enough work that you should just take the hood off so you can get to the engine un-hindered. It is what I do.... Of course, I do not ever foresee me having to do that kind of work to the CX-3.
Cyclone1410 likes this.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode