8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Stainless Rear Garnish Install

My approach to installing the stainless steel REAR garnish (from various eBay Chinese suppliers).

1. Download OEM Garnish Instructions from Med-Center Mazda.

2. Download Curt CX-3 Hitch Instruction Sheet.

3. Referring to Figure 1. in the Curt Instructions, remove the two outer push fasteners from the bumper.

4. Carefully position the garnish onto the bumper, using large strips of masking tape to firmly hold the garnish in place up against the bumper cover.

5. Use a center punch/straight pick to mark the three upper screw holes and the two lower outer self-tapping screw holes, through the garnish, into the bumper cover.

6. Armed with a pencil, crawl under the bumper, reach around the backs of the outer push fastner holes (from Step 3. above), and mark the locations of the push fastner holes on the back side of the garnish.

7. Remove the garnish.

8. Drill appropriate holes into the bumper cover … sorry, I can’t remember the drill sizes … I experimented with a piece of scrap plastic to determine the appropiate sizes for the three upper screw inserts. Start with small pilot holes and work up to the appropriate “screw insert size.”

9. Drill pilot holes in the bumper cover for the two lower outer self-tapping screws (provided by the supplier).

10. Using the pencil markings from Step 6. above, starting with a small pilot holes, drill the garnish, working up to a size appropriate for the push fastners in Step. 3.

11. Screw-in the three upper screw inserts.

12. Re-position the garnish onto the bumper cover, again using masking tape to hold it firmly to the cover.

13. Cross yourself three times, clap your hands together, cast an eye to the heavens and pray everything lines up.

14. Loosely screw-in the upper screws, start the lower outer self-tapping screws … jostle garnish around as necessary … press in the push fastners … cinch up all the screws.

Notes:

a. I did not use the center push fastner, into the (flimsy) removable bumper insert.

B. It takes far less time to actually do the installation than it takes to read my overly-lengthy explanation.

**** REAR, NOT FRONT! ****
Seems to be impossible to change/correct the thread title

Small detail I screwed-up on!
anchorman and ret63 like this.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by anchorman; 03-03-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
My approach to installing the stainless steel REAR garnish (from various eBay Chinese suppliers).

3. Referring to Figure 1. in the Curt Instructions, remove the two outer push fasteners from the bumper.

4. Carefully position the garnish onto the bumper, using large strips of masking tape to firmly hold the garnish in place up against the bumper cover.

5. Use a center punch/straight pick to mark the three upper screw holes and the two lower outer self-tapping screw holes, through the garnish, into the bumper cover.

6. Armed with a pencil, crawl under the bumper, reach around the backs of the outer push fastner holes (from Step 3. above), and mark the locations of the push fastner holes on the back side of the garnish.

7. Remove the garnish.

8. Drill appropriate holes into the bumper cover … sorry, I can’t remember the drill sizes … I experimented with a piece of scrap plastic to determine the appropiate sizes for the three upper screw inserts. Start with small pilot holes and work up to the appropriate “screw insert size.”

9. Drill pilot holes in the bumper cover for the two lower outer self-tapping screws (provided by the supplier).

10. Using the pencil markings from Step 6. above, starting with a small pilot holes, drill the garnish, working up to a size appropriate for the push fastners in Step. 3.

12. Re-position the garnish onto the bumper cover, again using masking tape to hold it firmly to the cover.

13. Cross yourself three times, clap your hands together, cast an eye to the heavens and pray everything lines up.

14. Loosely screw-in the upper screws, start the lower outer self-tapping screws … jostle garnish around as necessary … press in the push fastners … cinch up all the screws.

Notes:

a. I did not use the center push fastner, into the (flimsy) removable bumper insert.

B. It takes far less time to actually do the installation than it takes to read my overly-lengthy explanation.

Hey, Thanks again for the great and very helpful instructions...

I finally got a 50 something degree weather to take a crack at the install.

Pictures below.
I think I might also do the front too...
At some point tackle my afwal wimpy horn...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	15361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	15369  
anchorman likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-20-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret63 View Post
Hey, Thanks again for the great and very helpful instructions...

I finally got a 50 something degree weather to take a crack at the install.

Pictures below.
I think I might also do the front too...
At some point tackle my afwal wimpy horn...
Looks great!

Did you drill the extra two holes, to incorporate the bumper support push fasteners?

I too have the front garnish, but have been commanded to first finish the dinette repaint!

Last edited by mainemanx; 02-20-2017 at 03:06 AM.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Looks great!

Did you drill the extra two holes, to incorporate the bumper support push fasteners?

I too have the front garnish, but have been commanded to first finish the dinette repaint!
So I did drill small pilot holes for the smaller screws on the outside and bottom and also larger holes to fit the screw/bolts thingys...then used the larger hex screws to fasten the guard.

Also I decided to use Gorilla glue on the inside of the guard.

Cheers to your dinette set!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	15393  
mainemanx likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 AM

Garage
just finished my Front Garnish as well....

look:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	15617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	15625  
anchorman and mainemanx like this.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Looks great! I'm jealous ...

It appears to be more straightforward than the rear ... of course the experience of first installing the rear undoubtedly helps.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Looks great! I'm jealous ...

It appears to be more straightforward than the rear ... of course the experience of first installing the rear undoubtedly helps.
yes, indeed it helps and i used a ton of extra gorilla glue too!

Just some extra info that may be helpful when installing this...

The holes that need to be drilled at the bottom don't exactly leave room for a drill based on the hight of the CX-3. For me I decided to drill on an slight angle because i had no ramp to use for lifting the front of the car.
This worked out well when using the metal grommets into the plastic bumper and it was a pretty tight fit.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

7. Remove the garnish.

Notes:

Hi mainemanx.

I've added a link to this in the how to's and changed the title for you.
ret63 likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #9 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Hi mainemanx.

I've added a link to this in the how to's and changed the title for you.
Thank You! As always, we're much obliged!
ret63 likes this.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
How is this holding up? Finish still good? Did it fare well in winter weather?

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode