User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Using the temporary spare

As I understand it that, if you get a "flat" (puncture) and need to replace it with a temporary spare, the temporary should not be used on the "driven wheels". This means that, if the "flat" is on the front it needs to be replaced with a wheel from the back. The temporary wheels is then fitted to the back. I've seen a Mazda video on fitting the temporary wheel and of course they only show changing the "back wheel".

Presume if you drive an AWD it still applies.

Is there any truth in the above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi3xt View Post
As I understand it that, if you get a "flat" (puncture) and need to replace it with a temporary spare, the temporary should not be used on the "driven wheels". This means that, if the "flat" is on the front it needs to be replaced with a wheel from the back. The temporary wheels is then fitted to the back. I've seen a Mazda video on fitting the temporary wheel and of course they only show changing the "back wheel".

Presume if you drive an AWD it still applies.

Is there any truth in the above?
That is exactly what I read and what I was also told by the dealer. A bit of a pain if you get a flat on the front!!

Good Grammar is not a time of waste.

CX-3 Petrol
post #3 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
That is a usual rule of thumb. For AWD, specifically our AWD system the rear wheels do not engage as much as say a subaru system. All of our AWD system (cx3, cx5, cx9) are FWD bias unless needed during losing grip or hard acceleration. So putting the spare on a rear tire is not going to be bad but do keep in mind that you should repair that tire ASAP to prevent any problems with the rear diff.

Certified Mazda Technician

post #4 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Heres one for you Snoogie. Mazda do sell a spacesaver kit for both CX-3 and CX-5. The book says they should only be used for a "very short time". How on earth do we quantify that? I take it to mean if you ruin the diff at 20, 200 or 2000 miles, you should have changed it sooner and we don’t underwrite the warranty?

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #5 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
In the Subaru, you can convert the car to FWD by merely pulling a fuse which makes the car safer to drive with the spare on one of the rear wheels. There is no other way in Subie-land. I don't think there is a way to convert a Mazda AWD system to FWD for the same purpose, but I may be wrong.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Can you fit a full-sized spare in the trunk of the CX-3? I always just buy a fifth wheel and put it in the trunk, and store the donut/temporary spare at home.

2017 CX-3 Touring (Soul Red)
Hobby1: Begging Mazda to make CX-3 w/ manual transmission in USA.
Hobby2: Accepting failure.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Can you fit a full-sized spare in the trunk of the CX-3? I always just buy a fifth wheel and put it in the trunk, and store the donut/temporary spare at home.
Right I'd like to see the results if someone does this. My concerns are that you would not have the fitted surrounding foam piece that holds some emergency tools. And I also have a concern whether the Bose subwoofer (if you have one) may no longer fit.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
I did it. You have to buy the styrene inserts.

"Just for info, after extending the clamp bolt by about 50mm, I was able to fit a full size spare which I’m much happier about;

.....when you look how much smaller the spacesaver is;

........and this is the mod to the clamp bolt;

OK, you an see what I've done here. I've found a piece of square section aluminium bar and drilled and tapped it out to 8mm then cut the head off an 8mm bolt and used a pair of lock nuts to make up the extension. I had to knock the edges off the ally extension to allow it to pass through the sub so it isn't gorgeous but it works.

You can see here that by extending it to 195mm or thereabouts it will be fine. It gives about 10-15mm of starting thread.

This was the original spacesaver kit..........

and by the way, you have to do away with that lower mat and the upper hard deck still fits perfectly.
Sarah likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

Last edited by anchorman; 06-27-2016 at 07:29 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Anchorman,

Just to be clear, is that the styrene insert for the space saver or is there a different one for the full sized spare? As in if I already have the space saver with the insert would I need to buy a different one, or just extend my bolt and pop in a full size wheel/tire?

CX-3 GT AWD Dynamic Blue Mica
post #10 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I don't see the need to deal with replacing the factory supplied spare tire unless you live or frequently drive out in the middle of nowhere and the nearest tire shop is hundreds of miles away.

For 99.9% of us a tire shop is within a reasonable distance so you're not having to drive far on the temporary spare tire.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode