• 2 Post By anchorman
  • 1 Post By Levi3xt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-27-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Mixing tyre (tire) brands

On my previous car I had a FULL size spare wheel (Michelin). When rotating the wheels I only used the 4 wheels and did not include the spare. When I eventually updated the 4 tyres (tires) to Bridgestone I was told that that I shouldn't mix the Michelin with them. Consequently, when I sold the car it had an almost new spare.

Now, fast forward to my Cx-3 which only has a temporary spare (dam this practice). I have toyed with the idea of replacing it with a FULL size spare and got to wondering that, when the present tyres need replacing I might not want to keep the same brand. So, we go back to the situation as described above. Unless I purchase 5 tyres of the same brand. Any thoughts on the brand mixing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2016, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Mixing brands which in turn mixing tread pattern will alter how the tires will grip the road. One tire or more tires will gain grip and may unintentionally engage the AWD system and over work the either the transfer case or rear diff. I would at the very least try to keep identical tread patter for your spare and make sure its as close to that spare when changing your active tires.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Not wishing to contradict but I absolutely do not agree with that. In real use there is no way that tyres will be kept either matched by brand or matched by tread depth, especially when the car gets into second or third ownership. Owners can’t always afford to do it by the book.

If this is really the case and I doubt it is, Mazda have created the most intolerant drivetrains in the world.
Cyclone1410 and TiGrayMSM like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"

post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Keep your wheels balanced, tire pressure in correct range and watch alignment. If you do this you will replace all 4 at one time! Problem solved... Myself I will not switch to a full-size spare. Usually just a steel wheel that looks like sh*t so I would not leave on the ground long in any event... And now in my dotage I have roadside assistance so it is "Hello? Please come change my tire for me". LOL

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
post #5 of 7 Old 06-28-2016, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Not wishing to contradict but I absolutely do not agree with that. In real use there is no way that tyres will be kept either matched by brand or matched by tread depth, especially when the car gets into second or third ownership. Owners canít always afford to do it by the book.

If this is really the case and I doubt it is, Mazda have created the most intolerant drivetrains in the world.
True, from what I'm saying is what I discussed this with our Techline Mazda authority geek overlords service people (the people who authorize any warranty work which includes factory tires) and that is their text book never deviate (but we do it because like you said it can't be helped a lot of the time) rule for any problems caused to the drive train due to tires. I repeat we hardly ever follow that rule and just proceed to make the customer happy and either warranty it, get our district rep to authorize it which they usually do, or we just do it and eat the cost just to keep the customer happy and to prevent costly problems in the future which would bite us in the butt.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Not wishing to contradict but I absolutely do not agree with that. In real use there is no way that tyres will be kept either matched by brand or matched by tread depth, especially when the car gets into second or third ownership. Owners can’t always afford to do it by the book.

Even before I posed the question about "mixing" different brands (and consequently tread patterns) I'd come to the same conclusion that anchorman man has stated. If it doesn't make sense, it's probably isn't.
Cyclone1410 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-10-2016, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
If they denied a warranty because all the tires were well matched in size and type but not brand, they would lose a lawsuit and probably be charged with consumer fraud. It doesn't matter what small type in the warranty booklet said. (BTDT)

Unless they could document the problem was actually CAUSED by the mix, and then they would have even larger problems.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode