LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Handbrake (test?)

Hello everybody!

Recieved my cx-3 today. Very nice car. It is so awesome, just love it!
There is one thing that really concerns me. When i tried to test the handbrake, right before parking it in the garage, the car still moved when i put my foot on the gaspedal and give it som gas, when the handbrake was tighten.

This is how i did: Put the gear in D and tighten the handbrake, gave it a little gas and the car moved, pretty easily what i think. Hard to say if the car "struggled" to move forward because i dont know and dont have the feeling of the car quite that good yet. But it really felt that the handbrake didnt do much help.

Should the handbrake be like this? I had a vw golf with manual stick before and that car sure did not move an inch when the handbrake was tighten.

Maybe i am ignorant and doing the "test" all wrong , but this is how you test the handbrake in a manual car. Thinking that it also should be the same in an automatic gear box?

What do you guys think? Have you noticed this to? Or am i totally lost and wrong here?

CX-3 Optimum 150 hp 2.0 petrol, automatic and AWD.
Meteor Grey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
My hand brake is rather soft as well (I actually drove about a KM before realizing and when I got out of the car it was smoking!). On past cars, Volkswagen included, I could pull the hand brake to induce a drift or just squeal the tires. I believe there is a method of tightening it by repeated pumping of the hand brake, but that may be old school. Perhaps @anchorman , the brake expert, can weigh in?

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
@anchorman is like every-part-of-the-car expert

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT

post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDAL View Post
@anchorman is like every-part-of-the-car expert
Yes, yes he is.

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2016, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Ooh right! ;-)

OK, well there are basically two types of handbrake arrangement when a car has rear disc brakes.

The first is unofficially known as “drum in hat”. In other words there is a small drum brake positioned inside the hub of the rear disc. Drum brakes make a good static brake because they have a self servo action. When the brake is applied, the shoes try to wrap around with the drum until they “sprag” or jam it - like throwing a wedge under a door. Additionally, as the brake cools, the drum shrinks and applies even more force.

Mazda have opted for the other type on the CX-3. This is where the pads are used to clamp the disc. Now disc brakes are excellent dynamic brakes but they don’t make particularly good static brakes. The pads are better suited to motion and there is no self servo effect - they rely purely on how hard the handbrake lever is pulled. They are used because they are relatively simple and cost less. In this case, as the disc cools, the pads can lose grip of the disc. The best ones have electric motors (EPB - Electric Parking Brake) and these apply a very high clamping force with a follow up spring brake to compensate for any shrinkage or cooling effects. For you CX-3 guys, brute strength is the only option and make no mistake, the lever should be pulled firmly if parking is to rely purely on the handbrake.

Now in relation to what is happening with these above cases of Peter’ and Fun’s, well you have to give them chance to start with. Friction materials respond to temperature very well. “Bedding" or “burnishing" as the US brake industry calls it, is a two stage process. The first and most obvious stage is that the pad and disc conform to each other and 100% contact can be seen on both surfaces. The second and less obvious stage is that the friction material becomes “conditioned” by temperature. This is where some of the resin content of the pads is burned away to expose the friction element which is usually abrasive of which silica sand is an example. This second stage MUST see heat and those of you tootling round and getting 100,000 miles from your pads will never achieve it. What does it mean in terms of handbrake? Well the rear brake is already under utilised because of weight transfer and the fronts get all the heat. The designers try to offset it by giving the rears a smaller area (which gives more pressure per unit of area) but it is still not easy to force some heat into the rear brakes.

So! In summary, the pads themselves need heat which may not easily (or ever) happen. The handbrake is at a disadvantage until it does PLUS that lever needs to be pulled quite firmly. Having said all that, the legal approvals only require the parking brake to be about 12.5% efficient so by design (although it will be higher to provide a margin of safety) it need not be that powerful and may struggle to fight the engine even in tip top condition. To get the best from friction materials, don’t be afraid to get them working quite hard - they are excited by temperature. Under these conditions, they will wear out quicker but they will give the best performance. Discs should also always look bright and shiny like mirrors.

I’ll attach some info on the CX-3 parking brake so you can see pictures!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf brake parking.pdf (70.7 KB, 374 views)
File Type: pdf brake rear.pdf (150.9 KB, 398 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

Last edited by anchorman; 05-20-2016 at 12:35 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Hehe wow, thanks for the masters degree answer there. Anchorman for president!

I actually did the same mistake as you did, funambulistic. So much toughts and emotions runing around in the head (the euforia of finally have my cx-3) that i forgot the handbrake on and drowe for like 2 minutes in about 60km/h (37mph) with the handbrake on, but not fully tightened, only like halfway tightened. Gaah such a foolis and stupid misstake!! It really bothers me. Did not notice any smoke or anything. Maybe some kind of a burning smell, but i think thats from the engine, for being so new and still so fresh.

But like ancorman wrote, brakes are built up with friction materials. So hopefully the brakediscs just enjoyed working a little bit harder for a short while :P
funambulistic and st3v3cx-3 like this.

CX-3 Optimum 150 hp 2.0 petrol, automatic and AWD.
Meteor Grey.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTwoMeter View Post
Hehe wow, thanks for the masters degree answer there. Anchorman for president!

I actually did the same mistake as you did, funambulistic. So much toughts and emotions runing around in the head (the euforia of finally have my cx-3) that i forgot the handbrake on and drowe for like 2 minutes in about 60km/h (37mph) with the handbrake on, but not fully tightened, only like halfway tightened. Gaah such a foolis and stupid misstake!! It really bothers me. Did not notice any smoke or anything. Maybe some kind of a burning smell, but i think thats from the engine, for being so new and still so fresh.

But like ancorman wrote, brakes are built up with friction materials. So hopefully the brakediscs just enjoyed working a little bit harder for a short while :P
Yes - definitely. They will be fine and you probably did them good!
funambulistic and st3v3cx-3 like this.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Funny about the hand brake on the CX-3. On all my previous vehicles I almost never drove off with the hand brake applied. but, with the CX-3 I've left it on at least a half-dozen times. However, I've always caught it early. Maybe from what anchorman says I should have left it on :-))
post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi3xt View Post
Funny about the hand brake on the CX-3. On all my previous vehicles I almost never drove off with the hand brake applied. but, with the CX-3 I've left it on at least a half-dozen times. However, I've always caught it early. Maybe from what anchorman says I should have left it on :-))
Ha ha! I would like to point out that while you would have to get the rear brakes stinking hot by leaving the handbrake on before you do any damage, I wouldn't actually encourage it as a means of conditioning the pads!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode