User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On-center steering feel, alignment

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a CX-3 and have already put a number of highway miles on it. I've noticed an issue with the steering, particularly at speed on highways. The steering seems to lack on-center feel. That is, if I put, for example, left steering input in on a long sweeping left corner, the steering seems to stay turned in to the left. I can even take my hands off the wheel, and the car will continue turning left. The steering does not return to center. When the corner straightens out, the car continues to steer to the left somewhat, not returning to center. On a straight, I can do the same thing - put in a bit of steering input, and the car continues to steer in that direction (slightly) without returning to center.

This doesn't seem right to me. These Mazdas are supposed to have great steering feel. Why does mine feel so much around the center? Thoughts?

One final observation: the problem seems more prominent to the left than the right.

Thanks for your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
The steering is quite light and I have noticed a slight "numbness" around the wheel centre-point. Returning to centre is achieved with castor angle - like a shopping cart. I will check what adjustments can be made but in the meantime, did you check your tire pressures?

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #3 of 5 Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
The steering is quite light and I have noticed a slight "numbness" around the wheel centre-point. Returning to centre is achieved with castor angle - like a shopping cart. I will check what adjustments can be made but in the meantime, did you check your tire pressures?
The numbness center point is definitely noticeable, i'd say turning the wheel from 0 (center) to ~25 degree either way doesn't steer the car much, if at all.

I will take the highway home tonight and will test what the OP said and report back

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT

post #4 of 5 Old 02-14-2016, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
When you get an alignment have the castor angle maximized. A max castor angle will improve the steering return-to-center after a corner.

Ceramic GT, AWD, 18% Window Tint, Matte Black Enkei Raijin 18x8 with Black Spline Drive Lugs, 225/45R18 Michelin AS3, All Weather Floor/Cargo Mat, Splash Guards, De-Badged Tailgate, Black Plastic-Dip Accents
post #5 of 5 Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Just in case you want the spec...........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf suspension data.pdf (121.8 KB, 158 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode