3 18" wheels on a CX-3 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-22-2015, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
3 18" wheels on a CX-3

Not sure if anyone is interested, or if anyone has even done this yet, but I have a picture of our new CX-3 with 2014-2015 Mazda 3 GT 18" wheels on it.

We had a Mazda 3, I bought an extra set of wheels and tires (OEM) off of Ebay (pefect condition, take offs). After trading in the CX-3, we kept the extra set.

I decided to put them on our CX-3 to see what they look like. Bolt pattern, center bore, offset is all set to fit the CX-3. The overall diameter of these wheels/tires is SLIGHTLY smaller (about 3%), so when the speedo says you are doing 65, you are really doing just over 63.

Anyway, the other wheels are going back on, I just wanted to put these on to see what I thought and take a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CX-3-3wheels.jpg
Views:	12932
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	4409  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-22-2015, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
They look sharp! I may even like them better than the stock 18" wheels - at least on the white.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #3 of 10 Old 12-22-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Through Ebay, Craigslist, and some Mazda 3 forums on the internet, those wheels are starting to become available, so I figure I'd post this in case anyone who has the 16's is thinking of upgrading..it is an easy upgrade.

Now I KNOW that there are even more 19" Mazda 6 wheels and 19" cx-5 wheels out there used (or as nearly new take-offs). The tires may be too big, but I'm waiting to see someone take a set of those 19's and throw them on the CX-3, to see what they look like.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-22-2015, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
I had to do a double take because they look the same as my winter 16s. I can see the profile is lower though. I'm quite happy with mine for the winter because they get the rim away from any potential curbs hidden in the snow but I prefer the firmer ride of the 18s.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #5 of 10 Old 12-22-2015, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
With the Winter we have been getting in Southern Ontario Canada (or non-Winter would better describe it), I am tempted to put the summer radials back on and leave the 16" Michelin snow tires for next Winter. I have never driven my car with the supplied 18" wheels and tires, so I have not idea what they are like to drive on but the Michelin X-Ice radials are pretty nice even though the warm roads right now are probably wearing the hell out of them. The cheap Mazda wheel covers over steel wheels look really ugly in contrast to the alloys. After looking at these photos, it is rather obvious how really tawdry my wheels actually look. Can't wait till Spring!

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-22-2015, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
Through Ebay, Craigslist, and some Mazda 3 forums on the internet, those wheels are starting to become available, so I figure I'd post this in case anyone who has the 16's is thinking of upgrading..it is an easy upgrade.

Now I KNOW that there are even more 19" Mazda 6 wheels and 19" cx-5 wheels out there used (or as nearly new take-offs). The tires may be too big, but I'm waiting to see someone take a set of those 19's and throw them on the CX-3, to see what they look like.
From a fashion perspective the current trend in wheels is larger is better. However from a functional perspective... lighter is better. I removed the OEM supplied wheels and tires. The combo weighed 52 pounds per corner. Tire was 25 pounds and wheel 27. I installed a 22 pound tire and 20 pound wheel for a total of 42 pounds per corner. The improvement in handling was immediate.... light on her feet.

If you replace the relatively heavy OEM tire/wheel combo with an even heavier combo, then the price paid will likely be a heavy sluggish feeling. In my opinion this would negate a major benefit of the vehicle. YMMV

Ceramic GT, AWD, 18% Window Tint, Matte Black Enkei Raijin 18x8 with Black Spline Drive Lugs, 225/45R18 Michelin AS3, All Weather Floor/Cargo Mat, Splash Guards, De-Badged Tailgate, Black Plastic-Dip Accents
post #7 of 10 Old 12-22-2015, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
^^ I agree. The OEM 18's in the posters example look good but I certainly would never replace with wheels that may be heavier. OEM 19's would be out of the question. My 146hp CX3 needs all the help it can get, but its certainly no dog. Reducing wheel weight will make things significantly better.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #8 of 10 Old 12-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
One of the fundamentals of vehicle design - reduce unsprung weight to improve handling.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #9 of 10 Old 12-23-2015, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
With the Winter we have been getting in Southern Ontario Canada (or non-Winter would better describe it), I am tempted to put the summer radials back on and leave the 16" Michelin snow tires for next Winter. I have never driven my car with the supplied 18" wheels and tires, so I have not idea what they are like to drive on but the Michelin X-Ice radials are pretty nice even though the warm roads right now are probably wearing the hell out of them. The cheap Mazda wheel covers over steel wheels look really ugly in contrast to the alloys. After looking at these photos, it is rather obvious how really tawdry my wheels actually look. Can't wait till Spring!
Winter aint coming for us anytime soon. Im still on my aftermarket 18's, havent even thought of putting my winters on.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #10 of 10 Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The "Sport" ride from 18" vs 16" is FAKE.
If you want real sports car handling, upgrade the springs to something like + 80-200% strength and correctly matched dampers to control that spring strength.
Will reduce all the dive, squat, roll, yet ride comfortable due to 16" wheel and taller tires absorbing the road surface.
Low profile tires don't make for better handling, stickier rubber on tires do that.
TireRack.com will list most wheels with their weight.
Get 16x7.5 wheels or similar vs 16x7 OE for more pressure on the tire surface.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode