User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 11-01-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
AWD - Replace All TiresIif One Flat?

With the CX-3's AWD system, if I happened to get a flat and the other three tires were about half-way through the tread, would I have to replace all tires to not screw up the system? I know on some AWD systems this is the case (Subaru). Was wondering if it's the same for every AWD vehicle.

Last edited by Dave; 11-01-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Sorry- can't edit title type-o.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-01-2015, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
If it has gone flat, and the other tires are still new, you don't need to replace them all. The idea behind replacing all is a fail-safe in case you forget to replace the others sometime afterward. You always want to try and keep all tires as close to same condition is possible, especially for AWD's. Of course, this is what I've heard from word of mouth, and what I have practiced myself.
Dave likes this.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #3 of 37 Old 11-02-2015, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
from what i was taught in industry is that all 4 tires should be with in 2/32 of each other as to keep the differentials from burning up the clutches/carrier gears. when going beyond that the diff will start to overheat and eventually fail. I know it may not seem a whole lot but i've seen cx 5, cx 7, and cx 9 burn through their diffs due to owners not maintaining even tread wear on their tires. Also and this is somewhat not fully proven but keeping identical brands of tires is as crucial as tread wear...from my understanding tread patterns can affect the diff as different grips will work the diff hard as well. Patch it if you can otherwise 4 new tires if they are over 2/32 difference from the new one. hope this helps.

Certified Mazda Technician

post #4 of 37 Old 11-02-2015, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
What Snoogie says about tire brand and tread was something I didn't mention but should have because it is important. Always make sure to match tire with your others, that includes size, tread, and brand. Like I mentioned before, if wear is minimal, no need to replace all 4, just the one, but make sure the one being replaced is replaced with the same. Not much wiggle room with AWD's

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #5 of 37 Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Well that just about writes off every car over three years old in the UK where it is normal for owners getting these things second hand to change one tyre if they have a problem. A tyre is a tyre to most people (sorry, tire to you guys) and once the car gets cascaded to owners with a lower budget, a mixture of tread depths and brands is inevitable. I now am led to believe that if I get a tyre problem once anything more than 2/32 of difference from a new one - that's half a millimetre on a new tyre with 9mm of tread, that I have to change both tyres or it's not clear but the inference here is all four. If that is the case, this car will be gone inside 12 months.

Of course, I've read the disclaimers about tyre radius having a possible adverse effect on systems like the VSC and ABS but they must be able to tolerate some difference in specification. The same applies to road springs, shock absorbers and brake parts but in reality, they often get mixed up with age.

If this is true, would somebody like to explain what is going to happen when a spacesaver wheel is fitted to one of these hyper sensitive Mazdas. I say specifically Mazda because it sure as hell doesn't apply to Toyotas with virtually the same mechanics and systems. And this 2/32 apply to the entire life of the tyre because I'm going to have to buy a pretty accurate gauge when I start measure quarter of a millimetre on a half worn tyres. Maybe Mitutoyo do a three coordinate measuring machine for tyres?
Cyclone1410 likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"

Last edited by anchorman; 11-02-2015 at 05:26 AM.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-02-2015, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Well that just about writes off every car over three years old in the UK where it is normal for owners getting these things second hand to change one tyre if they have a problem. A tyre is a tyre to most people (sorry, tire to you guys) and once the car gets cascaded to owners with a lower budget, a mixture of tread depths and brands is inevitable. I now am led to believe that if I get a tyre problem once anything more than 2/32 of difference from a new one - that's half a millimetre on a new tyre with 9mm of tread, that I have to change both tyres or it's not clear but the inference here is all four. If that is the case, this car will be gone inside 12 months.

Of course, I've read the disclaimers about tyre radius having a possible adverse effect on systems like the VSC and ABS but they must be able to tolerate some difference in specification. The same applies to road springs, shock absorbers and brake parts but in reality, they often get mixed up with age.

If this is true, would somebody like to explain what is going to happen when a spacesaver wheel is fitted to one of these hyper sensitive Mazdas. I say specifically Mazda because it sure as hell doesn't apply to Toyotas with virtually the same mechanics and systems. And this 2/32 apply to the entire life of the tyre because I'm going to have to buy a pretty accurate gauge when I start measure quarter of a millimetre on a half worn tyres. Maybe Mitutoyo do a three coordinate measuring machine for tyres?

WOW.
I am totally unaware of any of these facts (not doubting, just surprised!).
If AWD systems are this finicky, there must be a lot of toasted AWD systems out there.
ghmpm likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
using the doughnut to swap out a flat tire will start to ware on the diff but that is why its only a spare. I might of not of said it correctly but its not going to instantly burn up your diff. It will take some time but not long...a spare is just that a spare. I personally would not drive on one longer than the nearest shop.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #8 of 37 Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I always thought that if the tires are new you could just get the same type of tire and you'll be fine. If they are older you might need to replace them all. And if you are changing tires, you need to have them all the same. But I assume you can just ask a mechanic or tires salesperson and they would let you know.
post #9 of 37 Old 11-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
WOW.
I am totally unaware of any of these facts (not doubting, just surprised!).
If AWD systems are this finicky, there must be a lot of toasted AWD systems out there.
I'm pretty sure they are not facts. I'm treating this lot as "fella down the bar says". Sorry but I don't believe a word of it. Isn't 2/32 similar to 1/16?

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"

Last edited by anchorman; 11-02-2015 at 08:50 PM.
post #10 of 37 Old 11-02-2015, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I couldn't find a max acceptable difference in size in the owner's manual, but it does say that the AWD warning light "illuminates if there is too much difference in tire radius between the front and rear wheels. "

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode