User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alternative shocks for rough city roads

Greetings All,

My CX3 has 41000km on it and the shocks are well worn due to the rough city roads in my area. Pot holes, uneven surfaces. etc. I have not seen much talk about suspension components in the forum.

Does anyone have any input on.

1. Is 41000km enough time to wear out a set of shocks? Is this unreasonable wear and tear that I can do a warranty claim on it instead of paying for new shocks?

2. Anyone have any experience with better quality aftermarket shocks (OEM replacements). I'm not looking to lower the car, just put shocks that will ride or last longer than the stock shocks. Specifically, Bilstein B4s ot B6s are the two that come to mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Welcome,

As always, just for clarification,when you say worn what do you mean? Is it bouncing around like a 70s lowrider after hitting a bump? Or is it just rough when hitting bumps that it feels like you hit something alot bigger and deeper than actual?

If its the latter that is basically expected of the car since the spring isnt as soft as a suv would be (or even something basic like an old nissan sentra). Bumps and potholes hit hard unfortunatly and the paneling/hood makes alot of noise when doing so. Shocks help stop the car from bouncing around on the springs instead of making bumps/holes feel 'softer'

If its the former then this would point to busted shocks which is strange to occur so soon honestly especially considering how rough the car rides in general. Is there oil leaking out of the strut/shocks? I saw you said it was a used cx-3 in the other post so there might be a chance the previous owner had it lowered and wore the shocks down quicker that way?

Id say try to pursue a warranty route but you might get dealer resistance on it since its more of a 'wear and tear' item even though its supposed to have a much longer life expectancy.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
41,000 KM is just a tweak over 25,000 miles. In other words, way way way too early for shock (damper) replacement. By all means, push for a warranty replacement (assuming you have factory-warranty-time still left). I don't care what type of roads you drive on. You should get (at minimum) double that distance on the OEM shocks. As previously stated, check the tops of the four shocks for wetness (leakage), but if they are all dry (which is more likely) then a closer check of the other suspension components of your car are in order. The dealer should be able to do this for free as a warranty (or even gratis if out of warranty) issue. Also, you may wish to test-drive another CX-3 to compare the ride.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)

post #4 of 5 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. i bought the car knowing the shocks were worn thinking these were covered under warranty since the miles were so low. (approx 25k) Yes the shocks are leaking and the car floats around on the road at speed on the highway. At low speed the dampers don't stop the car from oscillating. Even with rough roads, I was expecting at least double the life out of the shocks. Since I'm a recently relocated here from an area with very smooth roads, I'm not sure if this is "normal" wear and tear.

I asked the dealer to check them out and they also recommend replacement. All 4 shocks showed signs of leaking and they don't rebound as they should. Unfortunately, they are saying in the Philippines, Mazda does not warranty this because it's normal wear and tear. I'm seriously upset thinking I'll have to replace my shocks every 2 years.

I was denied a warranty claim so it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet. Has anyone gotten a warranty claim approved for abnormal shock wear? Or is this 'Normal"....
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 02:33 AM

Check the wheel pressure, 2.3 bar is enough for the car.
In the USA and Canada is recommended 2.5 bar, consider a lot.
In Japan mazda cx 3 has 2.1 bar.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/cx-3/2019/

Tags
bilstein , cx3 , shocks