Wheel corrosion - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wheel corrosion

Hi all, I have a 2016 GT with AWD and noticed my front passenger tire was losing a few PSI a day. I took it to a tire shop and they said the wheel was corroded in one spot. They agreed that was odd for a wheel just over 3 years old. I live in Wisconsin and haven't used a winter set, so they're exposed to salt, but I have the car washed once a week or so. Has anyone else had this issue with the stock 18" wheels?

Thanks for any input,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-25-2018, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh611 View Post
Hi all, I have a 2016 GT with AWD and noticed my front passenger tire was losing a few PSI a day. I took it to a tire shop and they said the wheel was corroded in one spot. They agreed that was odd for a wheel just over 3 years old. I live in Wisconsin and haven't used a winter set, so they're exposed to salt, but I have the car washed once a week or so. Has anyone else had this issue with the stock 18" wheels?

Thanks for any input,
Jon
If you scraped it down to the bare metal, then certainly it will corrode, especially on salted roads. At a minimum, I would touch-up any bare spots on the wheels. (I curbed my right front within 2 hours of owning it ... less than 2", but evoked a few choice words!)

100:1 the leak is not due to "corrosion". A porous wheel (a casting flaw) could be the cause ... rare, but possible. I believe there's a coating for the inside of the rim your tire dealer could use to remedy.

But 10:1 you simply have a nail in the tire ... could be the valve, cheap, have 'em replace that first ... but I'd bet on a hard-to-find nail.

Note my carefully calculated odds ... grabbed from the ether ;-)

EDIT: As they say, "Without pictures, it never happened"!

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 10-25-2018 at 11:44 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2018, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Somers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh611 View Post

Thanks for any input,
Jon
Why would you not use Lemon pledge on the wheel tires rubber and plastic last a long time and looks good.
i would recomend you water spray your wheel often.
You may need to install inner tubes
I am running 38 PSI on all tires.

Somers ~2108 ~ CX3 soul red ~ Auto ~ GT ~ 18 " rims

post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Inflate the tire to 50 + psi wear protective clothing eye ware and gloves.
spray entire wheel an tire with soapy/ detergent water. check for bubbles you may have more that one leak.

May i recomend to all of you to purchase a tire plug set and practice on an old garage tire till you get it right next try it blind folded ( night fix you never know when )
get your selves a foot pump and a proper 6 " stand alone flashlight with red beacon from wally world. .

BERMUDA ~~~~~~~ Somers 2018 Mazda Cx3 soul red 18 " wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode