User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Winter snow tires

I have an 2019 AWD CX3 with Yokohama all-season tires. I live in New England and this will be my primary car for winter driving. Can you provide an opinion on these tires for snow and ice?
I am considering Blizzaks for the winter but just think it maybe overkill if the Yokohama's are good in the snow.

Thanks
TRC7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
We've used Blizzaks in the past and they had great traction, braking, etc. However, they appear to use a relatively soft compound and probably have decreased tread life.

We're now on Michelin X-Ice Xi3 and, while they may not have the ultimate cold/wet performance, they have a longer tread life, are quieter, etc. ... using the tirerack dot com as my reference

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014TRC7 View Post
I have an 2019 AWD CX3 with Yokohama all-season tires. I live in New England and this will be my primary car for winter driving. Can you provide an opinion on these tires for snow and ice?
I am considering Blizzaks for the winter but just think it maybe overkill if the Yokohama's are good in the snow.

Thanks
TRC7
The OEM Yokohama's are fine in snow until the temperature drops then they are comparable to hockey pucks. All Seasons except the cold ones.

Also went with the Xi-3's , when I checked they were among the best for stopping distance.

zoom-zoom

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore ◊ Stroke: 83.5 ◊ 91.2 mm (3.29 ◊ 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0

post #4 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I have the Blizzaks and it's my understanding that the old WS-70s had that fast-wearing compound. The current generation (WS-80) do not have this issue.

The car is an absolute hoot to drive in winter with the Blizzaks due to the combination of amazing grip and AWD. More importantly, with the snow we had last year, it felt safe and surefooted.

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!
post #5 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
One of the biggest factors should be location, I am in CT which we get maybe like 6 heavy snow days a season and like rest is light snow/comparable to rain. Personally I never saw a reason to get snow tires because in reality the state is fairly decent at clearing roads and the yokohamas do well enough in our climate here with mazdas awd system. No slipping or anything thankfully. I can see how being further north in Canada and having an onslaught of colder temps and snow fall would be more ideal for snow tires.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #6 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks all for your responses.
Ordering Blizzaks
mainemanx likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Same view as what @Dean said. The Yokos drop of considerably in icy conditions.
I went with Continental Winter Contact SI's and am pretty happy with them. Good price too.
Brigitte likes this.

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I ordered my 2016 CX3 with Michelin X ice Xi3s on steelies. I had the same combo on my previous Subaru Forester and find that they are just about the best you can get for winter driving up here in the GWN (Great White North). In fact I really prefer driving on these more than the stock 18" wheels.

When I got them there was an offer of 4 free snow tires when you bought a new CX3 in Canada for a few months during the introduction. But I didn't care for the downmarket type they were offering so I plunked down an extra $300 for the Michelins. Money well spent I feel.
Brigitte likes this.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
One of the biggest factors should be location, I am in CT which we get maybe like 6 heavy snow days a season and like rest is light snow/comparable to rain. Personally I never saw a reason to get snow tires because in reality the state is fairly decent at clearing roads and the yokohamas do well enough in our climate here with mazdas awd system. No slipping or anything thankfully. I can see how being further north in Canada and having an onslaught of colder temps and snow fall would be more ideal for snow tires.
The biggest factor is temperature. As soon as the temperature falls below 42F, the compound in all-seasons turns hard, and stopping/handling becomes a huge issue. Not sure what the average winter temps are in CT, but there you have it. I don't like the idea of my car riding on frozen hockey pucks. YMMV.

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!
post #10 of 17 Old 09-22-2018, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
The biggest factor is temperature. As soon as the temperature falls below 42F, the compound in all-seasons turns hard, and stopping/handling becomes a huge issue. Not sure what the average winter temps are in CT, but there you have it. I don't like the idea of my car riding on frozen hockey pucks. YMMV.
Location would correlate to what temperatures would be experienced in the region and how much snowfall. Southern New England region isnt bad at all save for a few days of snow fall. Sure tires harden a little more in colder weather but the fact that everyone is making it seem like having all seasons in the winter is a death sentence is just faulty information and makes it seem like practically any person without snow tires would be wrapped around a pole in not-even-freezing temps apparently.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode