1Likes
  • 1 Post By JPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-03-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tire speed

I’m in the process of selecting new winter tires for my 2015 CX-3 Diesel. The speed my new tires need to have according to Mazda is V (240Km/h). The top speed of this car is 177Km/h. Why Mazda want me to go for these tires? Isn’t it possible to fit tires with the H specification (210km/h) for example? This way I have a lot more choices of which tire to fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2018, 03:38 PM
JPA

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
It depends on where you are located and what are the local regulations.

In Finland the maximum speed limit is 120 km/h. So if driving at legal speeds there isn't any problems with lower speed rating.
My winter tires have speed rating R (170 km/h or 106 mph).
SlyCoopers likes this.

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
My view on it is to get tires for what application you actually are going to use them for. My mother is an old lady who drives a nissan sentra and hits the occasional curb and I just had truck tires installed on her car because they were more durable and less than half the cost only because they were rated 10mph less than the oem size ones. She doesnt even go on the highway so even though they are rated for 90ish mph, she will never hit that ever. Usually tires are rated beyond the normal speed people would reasonably drive the car mainly for safety reasons of heat/melting point. Unless you are drag racing or going unreasonable speeds (doubtful on winter tires lol) then I wouldnt worry too much about the speed ratings. Think of the fastest speed you would go on the highway and just make sure the speed rating is past it (like a good amount not like 1 or 2 mph). Spec V is usually way past the reasonable driving capabilities of the car itself, again this is for safety purposes but also because they like to charge for more "premium" tires. You could even get Y rated tires at 186mph / 300kmh but again that would be unnecessary because you will never use the tires for the intended purposes and would just be paying extra. At the end of the day they all wear down the same (more or less) so no use overpaying for unrealistic capabilites.

Ofcourse if there is local regulations like JPA said, definitly follow those since they take priority first.

Note: There might be some legal aspect to doing this since here reselling the car legally would require you to inform the other person about the new speed rating tires seeing as someone would reasonably assume car tires are oem spec and if they get into an accident because of the new tires (they drive over the tire limit and the tire blows up) then you would be liable for negligence but thats just america's lovely legal system lol.

*Im not good with kilometers but you can get the general idea through a conversion haha sorry

Edit: If it helps my bfgoodrich ko2's are S rated which is a jump from V. Still will never hit 112mph /180kmh on it either way though

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 09-03-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Current tire rating

post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers! Seems in my country (Holland) it’s allowed to get tires one grade below the recommended ones. However I need to place a sticker on my dashboard/screen (visible for the driver) with the speed of 210km/h...
Still don’t see Mazda putting tires on the diesel version with a top speed of 240 🙂
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2018, 06:37 PM
JPA

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I think it is the same thing with the sticker in Finland but no one monitors that.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Here in Denmark, the speed rating of the tires has to be above the top speed of the car. As long as it is that, we can choose any speed rating.
The only exception is dedicated winter tires, which doesn't need to have a speed rating above the top speed of the car, so here we are allowed to pick a tire with a lower speed rating than the top speed of the car (but you still need to keep the speed below the speed rating).

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Today I remplaced my 18” rims for original 16” rims with the continental ts860: 205/65/16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85ADEBB6-F126-4EA7-8BB9-FC891748BB0D_1543081357438.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	21861  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode