• 4 Post By anchorman
  • 1 Post By Cman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-15-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Powerstop brakes

When it's time to replace brake parts I will most likely go with Powerstop brakes for this car. Last year I completely replaced the brakes on my Suzuki SX4 with their Z23 brake kit F&R. They looked good behind my Konig wheels on the car and now since driving on them for the past couple of months they work pretty good and still look great on the car.

I had done a video update since installing them on the Suzuki and since the car is parked outside and stuff and have gotten exposed to some decent rain storms here a while back the rotors still look like new.

I'll link the video here so you can see how they look.

A check of PS website now shows a front kit for FWD and AWD CX-3's but no rear kit yet, I'll wait till both are available before doing the move over.

FWD front kit part # K6974, AWD front kit part # K6971

(skip to 1:10 of the vid for the brake update)

Tony

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-22-2018, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Tony, those do look sharp!

Additionally, the OEM CX-3 discs are suspect. According to (U.S.) TSB 04-002/17, "Some vehicles may exhibit a squeak[ing] noise when applying the brakes and/or groove marks (A) on the front disc plates. This is caused by abrasive metal from the front disc plate sticking to the brake pad, which damages the disc plate over time." I'm still waiting for my dealer to replace mine.

Check out this rotor from an Official JDM Mazda site touting a special version of the CX-3. Notice the groove at about 9:30 ... looks like that would tear-up any pad, in short order!

P.S. The Anchorman is a brake expert ... 'wonder what he thinks :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nippon_Disc.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	21471  

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 07-22-2018 at 04:40 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Oh, err, I wasn’t going to comment for fear of upsetting anybody. Personally, I wouldn’t waste my money.

If you actually do some dyno testing on these “enhanced brake pads”, they actually don’t bring any real benefits and in some cases they bring some problems. True racing pads tend to just be baked longer or more often in production to prevent decay at high temperature but the downside is, they don’t work very well pottering around town - the special friction elements need temperature to excite them. It depends really, if you are going to do some competition driving they might be OK but otherwise, the original pads will perform quite well up to some astonishing temperatures (but wear out quickly). Powerstop is just a marketing name that draws people in. Its no different to a cordless drill with all these black stripes and stuff on a coloured drill that looks like a transformer character - it sells a lot better than a plane colour. I don’t know who they are but I doubt very much that they make and test their own products, they’ll all be bought in and could well be from China. In reality, like I said, they wouldn’t show any benefit on a proper instrumented test. Drilled or grooved discs to mimic high performance vehicles are also just plain grey cast iron discs with embellishments. The holes or slots help remove some traces of carbon that might accumulate in a race but on a car that is used on the road? They look a bit swish when you see them through the wheel but offer no real benefit. If I was doing sprints or hill climbs or some other mild competitions, I would in any case go with a known friction supplier like Ferodo or Mintex (in this country) as they will have proper facilities to make and test them. If I was racing I would use use racing pads and discs but then i wouldn’t use them on a public road. I don’t like the thought of picking bits of hawthorn bush and dry stone wall out of my gums because thats where it could end putting inappropriate pads on a road car.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

post #4 of 7 Old 07-22-2018, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe we'll go with those pretty discs and some street pads :-)

post #5 of 7 Old 10-28-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

The brake pads that I installed in my Suzuki are street pads from Powerstop (although they are a better compound than stock), they are matched to the rotors also from them. Powerstop has different versions of their pads for different vehicles and intended uses of that vehicle.

This was a bit of a cosmetic mod for me but there is a slight performance increase using their pads with these rotors and as I mentioned in my video before so far they are working out pretty well, much better than the Centric stuff that I was using before.

As for racing, yes you should use different pad material so you don't cook your pads and they definitely don't work well on the street. On my Shelby I've driven on the street with my race pads and rotors and the dust build up and squealing is crazy when driving normally, the car also doesn't stop that well as when the normal brakes are on for street driving, once they heat up on the track they stop the car repeatedly with no issues. As you mentioned you should stay away from cross drilled rotors and either use a high carbon steel rotors with either slots or nothing.

Once the pads/rotors wear out on the CX3 and if they come out with the stuff for the rear I am definitely going with PS again, the fact that the rotors don't even show any rust on them now after 6+ months of driving on my Suzuki proved themselves to me. The real test is after this coming winter, I will do another vid showing how the rotors look in the spring.

Tony

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500
post #6 of 7 Old 10-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, Mazda replaced my front grooved discs, only a couple of months ago. So I have a while to wait until I can "justify" new pads and rotors.

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to settle for some red caliper paint and the fake, plastic Brembo covers I bought off eBay ;-)

post #7 of 7 Old 10-28-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Do the paint but God...…………….stay away from those caliper covers.
mainemanx likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode