40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 89 Old 12-27-2018, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvj View Post
Looks great. Funny thing, is that I also live in Victoria, and went the exact opposite, I lowered mine.
Hey CVJ, Iíve got a few questions with regards to your coilover setup. Do you have any info with regards to mounting of the rear shocks? Slycooper is trying to piece together a lift kit with spacers. However, canít seem to find the location of the rear shock mounts. Presumably theyíd be inside the car usually in the trunk. Or are they underside mounted? Any info would be great or even info with regards to who did your coilover setup if it wasnít yourself.

Much appreciated, Drake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 89 Old 12-29-2018, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I want to keep the stock 18 rims. I really like them. I know 16s are best for off-roading, but I only go off-road once a month at best.
post #73 of 89 Old 12-29-2018, 09:19 PM

But are you sure 235/55/18 would fit?

post #74 of 89 Old 12-31-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyboycaldo View Post
But are you sure 235/55/18 would fit?
(Dont mind the over explaining if you already knew most of it, Im posting it for future reference to people who might have similar questions without knowing how things will work)

On your previous post you mentioned doing 225/55/18 for about an 1" lift but in reality it would get you maybe 1/2" lift under extremely overinflated tires which isnt recommended for other reasons. The sad reality of this type of "lift" is that unless its a substantial vertical change, its almost negligible because tires have a tendency to "squish" or compress enough under the middle point of the wheel where the main weight is applied downward. Similarly getting a wider width tire but keeping stock oem wheel width isnt going to be a direct vertical sidewall height increase but more of a slant measurement (similar to how a 40" tv is not 40" high although this is an extreme example).

Going even further to 235/55/18 (not sure if you meant 225 as previously mentioned in the page before) would push those dimensions even further. You would have to take into account new sidewall height which is about 6mm higher after all calculations from the 225 because the middle value, the 55, is a percentage of the width to calculate sidewall so higher percentage or higher width = "bigger" sidewall (not the same as taller/straight vertical height).

Taking most of the dimensions into consideration you would *MOST LIKELY* be ok with 235/55/18 city driving but hitting bumps(possibly potholes) or maximum wheel turning could make contact unless you crawl through it. When I measured my new 16 wheel specs and the tire size in the first post I came close to contact but was able to clear most extreme tests I ran such as hitting low curbs at certain speeds/ sharp turns over bumps/ driving on sand like an idiot etc. Granted its unlikely that anyone will be doing these things for daily driving, but when you decide to go offroad, in certain conditions, city rules and clearances dont apply. You will almost always make contact if you take it through abusive terrain with 235/55/18.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #75 of 89 Old 02-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
(Dont mind the over explaining if you already knew most of it, Im posting it for future reference to people who might have similar questions without knowing how things will work)

On your previous post you mentioned doing 225/55/18 for about an 1" lift but in reality it would get you maybe 1/2" lift under extremely overinflated tires which isnt recommended for other reasons. The sad reality of this type of "lift" is that unless its a substantial vertical change, its almost negligible because tires have a tendency to "squish" or compress enough under the middle point of the wheel where the main weight is applied downward. Similarly getting a wider width tire but keeping stock oem wheel width isnt going to be a direct vertical sidewall height increase but more of a slant measurement (similar to how a 40" tv is not 40" high although this is an extreme example).

Going even further to 235/55/18 (not sure if you meant 225 as previously mentioned in the page before) would push those dimensions even further. You would have to take into account new sidewall height which is about 6mm higher after all calculations from the 225 because the middle value, the 55, is a percentage of the width to calculate sidewall so higher percentage or higher width = "bigger" sidewall (not the same as taller/straight vertical height).

Taking most of the dimensions into consideration you would *MOST LIKELY* be ok with 235/55/18 city driving but hitting bumps(possibly potholes) or maximum wheel turning could make contact unless you crawl through it. When I measured my new 16 wheel specs and the tire size in the first post I came close to contact but was able to clear most extreme tests I ran such as hitting low curbs at certain speeds/ sharp turns over bumps/ driving on sand like an idiot etc. Granted its unlikely that anyone will be doing these things for daily driving, but when you decide to go offroad, in certain conditions, city rules and clearances dont apply. You will almost always make contact if you take it through abusive terrain with 235/55/18.
Hi again,

Thank you for all your input and tips. I mentioned 225/55/18 because that was the size that was mentioned before. I will be using the car once or twice a month offroad with sharp rocks and irregular terrain, so I need the most ground clearance I can get without having to add spacers or any other crappy modification to the car. I know it is not the ideal car to do so, but I don't have a choice at this point.

I was thinking of getting the YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T G015 225/55/18. I don't want to swap my 18 oem rims for 16s. I know the 225 is not going to give me more lift than the 215 (maybe 1 mm or 2 mm), but going from 50 to 55 should give about 1".

On paper, 215-50-18 vs 225-55-18
Diameter 26.5 27.7
Width 8.5 8.9
Sidewall 4.2 4.9

My speedometer would read 70 when I would actually be going at 73.2

Like you said, on paper there is some difference, but maybe not as much in real life because of the reasons you explained. However, any ground clearance gains is better than nothing, so I am willing to give it a try, but I don't want to end up rubbing my inner fender every time I hit a deep bump or are under heavy load.
SlyCoopers likes this.
post #76 of 89 Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I put the stock size 215/60 16 Geolandar A/T GO15s on mine and I'm pretty happy with them.
SlyCoopers likes this.
post #77 of 89 Old 02-20-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokers Rule View Post
I put the stock size 215/60 16 Geolandar A/T GO15s on mine and I'm pretty happy with them.
The 16 in wheels are a better setup than the 18 in, but my wife would kill me if I swap the 18s for 16s. Do you think you could have fitted 215/70/16 in your car?
post #78 of 89 Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyboycaldo View Post
The 16 in wheels are a better setup than the 18 in, but my wife would kill me if I swap the 18s for 16s. Do you think you could have fitted 215/70/16 in your car?
I honestly have no idea. I wouldn't mind the height increase but I'm not interested in finding out how that big a difference in rolling diameter would screw up my computer and god knows what else. I can almost hear the dealership saying "Well, normally that would be covered under warranty, but...".
SlyCoopers likes this.
post #79 of 89 Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finally pulled the trigger on my tires! I went with the bfg G Force Comp 2 a/s. I was on the fence between these and the ko2’s but I wanted a wider tire which wasn’t available with the ko2. I went with a 245/50r16 on the stock sport wheels. Did some snowy mountain driving today and it made a world of difference caompared to a rock tires!! Very happy with my choice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6EBDD471-DBE3-4889-9FC4-E977023122CA_1550805994770.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	22057   Click image for larger version

Name:	EAA33C1D-B798-4BCE-8C67-8AE39FB1A743_1550806022391.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	22059   Click image for larger version

Name:	30486B92-8AB4-49B6-B036-D711E5246AF6_1550806044193.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	22061  
SlyCoopers and Stokers Rule like this.
post #80 of 89 Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
That looks like quite the difference in diameter.
Remember to keep an eye on your speed so you don't get any tickets!

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode