User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-15-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Stock Yokohama tires

I've had my CX-3 GT for a year now and have about 17,000 miles on the car. So far I have had to replace 2 tires due to debris causing flats that were not repairable, and 2 days ago I had a catastrophic blow out on my front left tire doing 70 on the expressway. There was nothing in the road that would have caused this. The tire that blew was one that was replaced so it was brand new. I am not at all happy with the Yokohama tires. They are very expensive, and seem to not hold up well at all. My only other option in tires in the size 215/50/18 is Pirelli, which, while slightly cheaper than Yokohama, are still expensive. I can't believe I only have 2 options for tires. Am I missing something? Can anyone suggest a better alternative for me? On a positive note, the CX-3 handled BEAUTIFULLY with the sudden blow out. The car didn't lurch or pull very hard at all. I got to the shoulder quickly and safely.
Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
There's also Michelin Primacy 3, Continental ContiSportContact 5 and Bridgestone Turanza T001.
Although I'm not sure if they are avilable where You live.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-15-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

I live in the US in Florida. I don't think they are available here. Thanks though!

post #4 of 15 Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Our cars have an odd-ball tire size; that's for sure. I have 12,000 miles on my '17 and am already looking at replacements for down the road. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 has some good recommendations and, on tire rack, is around $39 per tire cheaper than the Yoko Avids. If I had to get replacements right now, I'd go with the P7s for certain. For laughs, I did call a number of tire dealers (Discount, etc.) around the state, and most unfortunately told me the Yokohamas and Pirellis were the only ones available at this time. I researched Toyo, and they do make at least one Proxes in 215-50R18. However this tire is not available in the USA (why, why, why). I was told several VW models (Jettas and others) did use this size tire for awhile, so the poor selection in this size is curious. Good luck with your search. Let us know if you find anything else.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #5 of 15 Old 04-15-2018, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Amy, consider going with 225/50/18, they will fit perfectly without any interference. You might notice a slightly better ride because they have a little more sidewall. There will be a slight error in your speedometer reading of less than 1 MPH. At 60 MPH indicated, you'll actually be moving at 60.9 MPH

There are 123 different results for this size on Amazon!
post #6 of 15 Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
...I researched Toyo, and they do make at least one Proxes in 215-50R18. However this tire is not available in the USA (why, why, why)...
Thatr's weird, because in Europe the CX-3 is fitted with Toyo Proxes from the factory (at least here in Denmark), so I was about to suggest them, but if they're not available in the US, then there's no point :-)

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

post #7 of 15 Old 04-16-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=skyking;172602]Our cars have an odd-ball tire size; that's for sure. I have 12,000 miles on my '17 and am already looking at replacements for down the road. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 has some good recommendations and, on tire rack, is around $39 per tire cheaper than the Yoko Avids. If I had to get replacements right now, I'd go with the P7s for certain.

For some reason my shop does NOT like Pirelli. I don't know why. I am looking into resizing as Jroper suggested. I put a lot of miles on my car driving to and from Miami, and if I get stuck on the wrong side of Alligator Alley, It will be easer to get a new tire if needed. Each time I have replaced this crazy size tire, I've had to wait at least 2 days because nobody keeps this size in stock.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-16-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroper View Post
Amy, consider going with 225/50/18, they will fit perfectly without any interference. You might notice a slightly better ride because they have a little more sidewall. There will be a slight error in your speedometer reading of less than 1 MPH. At 60 MPH indicated, you'll actually be moving at 60.9 MPH

There are 123 different results for this size on Amazon!
Someone else suggested this to me also although they recommended 225/45/18. What is the difference between this and 225/50/18?
post #9 of 15 Old 04-16-2018, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Amy, the 225/45/18 is a smaller diameter tire and will have less sidewall which could cause the ride to be harsher. The speedometer error will be the reverse of the 225/50/18, at 60 MPH indicated, you'll actually going around 59 MPH.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
[quote=AmyR;172682]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Our cars have an odd-ball tire size; that's for sure. I have 12,000 miles on my '17 and am already looking at replacements for down the road. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 has some good recommendations and, on tire rack, is around $39 per tire cheaper than the Yoko Avids. If I had to get replacements right now, I'd go with the P7s for certain.

For some reason my shop does NOT like Pirelli. I don't know why. I am looking into resizing as Jroper suggested. I put a lot of miles on my car driving to and from Miami, and if I get stuck on the wrong side of Alligator Alley, It will be easer to get a new tire if needed. Each time I have replaced this crazy size tire, I've had to wait at least 2 days because nobody keeps this size in stock.

I have come across a few tire shops along the way who have strong feelings against Pirelli tires (and Goodyear for some reason). I have used them on several of my cars with no problems so I have nothing against them. I prefer Continental however, for our CX-3s, well . . . . . . .

Definitely do not want to fool around driving Alligator Alley/I-75. Was in Miami two years ago. Drove along the Tamiami Trail for a bit heading to the Everglades. Some parts of that road, you would not want to stop for any reason whatsoever. Fun place to cruise around though.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode