User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Question Best offset for 18x8" wheel

I want to update my current factory 18" wheels to a set of 18x8" wheels with a 235/45/18 tire. I see most of the recommended wheels from Discount Tire, etc. fall within the +45 to +35 offset range. I know some of you on here have switched wheels. What has been your luck with a +35 offset vs a +45?

Thanks.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-16-2017, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I also have a 2017 Meteor Gray, mine was a sport so it came with 16" wheels.
I replaced them with 17X7.5 with a 45 offset wheels and 225/55R17 tires. I wouldn't go more than 45 offset even with 8" width.
Here is a good place to compare how stock and after market wheels differ in clearance.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/cx-3/2017/
post #3 of 23 Old 08-16-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroper View Post
I also have a 2017 Meteor Gray, mine was a sport so it came with 16" wheels.
I replaced them with 17X7.5 with a 45 offset wheels and 225/55R17 tires. I wouldn't go more than 45 offset even with 8" width.
Here is a good place to compare how stock and after market wheels differ in clearance.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/cx-3/2017/
I was leaning to +45 as well just by my experience with my Mazdaspeed, etc. I just noticed that some are getting away with a +35 and many tire stores are showing the +35 as a recommended offset. It seems a little extreme, but there is a ways to go before the tires are even flush with the fender lips. Of course, I would hate to have rubbing.

I am interested in what others say as well. Thanks for your input!

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Tire Rack lists wheels in +40 to +50. I ran +38 for a while and it was fine though they were pretty close to "hellaflush" status. If I could get the perfect looking wheel in any offset, I'd go with in the +40 to +45 range.

Though, honestly, I'd put a higher priority on every other aspect of wheel selection and only use offset if it was a dead heat between two of them.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-18-2017, 01:32 AM

I run a 17x8" wheel with a +45mm offset and it fits just right IMO. I can also do a +40mm wheel. Running a +35mm puts you at risk of rubbing if the suspension jars up over a large bump or if you are considering lowering the car later on.

You can take a look here at how the different offsets look compared to stock.

+45mm offset

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

+40mm offset

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

+35mm offset

Tony

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500
post #6 of 23 Old 08-18-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Thought I would

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES View Post
I was leaning to +45 as well just by my experience with my Mazdaspeed, etc. I just noticed that some are getting away with a +35 and many tire stores are showing the +35 as a recommended offset. It seems a little extreme, but there is a ways to go before the tires are even flush with the fender lips. Of course, I would hate to have rubbing.

I am interested in what others say as well. Thanks for your input!
put some details from my experience

I have 20" x 8.5" +35 running 235/35/20's
Lowered CorkSport Coils (just on 2" drop)
NO Rubbing at all.

Darren

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
post #7 of 23 Old 08-18-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippffo View Post
put some details from my experience

I have 20" x 8.5" +35 running 235/35/20's
Lowered CorkSport Coils (just on 2" drop)
NO Rubbing at all.

Darren

How do things look to the edges of your fenders? Any poke? What about dirt, mud, rain? Any excessive splash? Thanks.

post #8 of 23 Old 08-18-2017, 06:13 PM

Here's a real view of a 17x8" +45mm wheel on my CX-3.

It's pretty flush with the fender, a +40mm offset on an 8" wide wheel will bring the face of the wheel out another 5mm.

This is sippffo's setup:

I'm wondering sippffo................ are you running more -camber in the front vs. stock or are you basically aligned with stock settings using that wheel/tire setup?
post #9 of 23 Old 08-18-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. You guys have been super helpful.

post #10 of 23 Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I really like that calculator. Hadn't seen it before. Much better than others.

But, the factory 18" wheels are 7" wide I believe, not 6.5.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode