User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-12-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Sidewall tear!

Hey.
First two punctures on a RR tire, so close together that repair shop says the tire could fail (though so far so good).

I bumped up against a curb yesterday, dang. Heard the rim squeak. Checked the tire and rim and found a sheared off piece of tire! THe rim was scraped up some. I was surprised the tire tore instead of a rub. I don't think the Tire and Rim ins. I bought will cover this - of course its a long weekend and I can't get to the dealer til Tuesday. Car is 15 months old.

Opinions? What is the usual spec/brand/model/quality of the stock tire for a GT 2016 AWD? It's a 16" alloy.
When I last asked at the dealer, he told me the tires were rated for 60K. Really? Which is on the low side, don't cha think?

Looking at replacing all tires now, just wanting to compare brands/rating etc.
Here's the damage:

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170211_091727.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	15154  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Ugh! That tire does not look good at all. Please get it replaced ASAP. You do not want to drive too far on that; in fact, I'd change over to the spare, but that's me. You stated you have a GT but a 16-inch rim? I thought all GT's had 18s (size 215/50R18), but maybe Canada is different? If you have 16's, then you might have better luck with tire selections, especially if you are going to replace all four. A quick check of Tire Rack shows they now offer, in size 215/50R18, a Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season as well as the stock Yoko Avid S34. The Pirelli's are less expensive, plus well-rated with a longer expected tread-life. Again, that's the 18-inch rim, which is what my GT has. Glad that someone now offers an alternative A/S tire to the stock Yokohama's. Anyway, if you do have 16-inch rims (size 215/60R16), then you have many choices. Personally I like Continental, as I have considerable experience with this tire brand. I had Conti's on my Acura and they performed better than the stock Michelin's. Plus you can usually get them at a very competitive price. Good luck.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode