• 1 Post By st3v3cx-3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-30-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CX-3 wider winter tires

Hello folks,

I recently got my new CX-3 but I'm in line for changing my tires to winter ones.
I ordered mine with 18 inch rims and summer tires and the specs are 215/50R18 7Jx18 ET50 5x114.3

Everyone I asked recommends that I switch to 16 inch rims for the winter but I want to retain the 18 inch look. Since I can't manage to find 215 winter tires for my 18 inch rims I'm forced to switch to 225 ones. My question is will the added width of the tire be acceptable and can I easily install wider tires on my car without any modifications.

I plan to buy Toyo Snowprox S953 225/60R18 100H. Do you have any idea if these will fit and do you have any recommendations on how I should proceed. Other tire options are also welcome since this is basically my first winter running on lager rims and I'm not very familiar with my tire options.

Thanks.

Regards,
Dimitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
If you're in the USA or Canada, TireRack sell 2 snow tires in our OEM 18" size:
Yokohama ICEGUARD IG52C and Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3.

If not, try to keep the size of the new tires within ±3% of the OEM tires.
Tire size calculator

Click the link above and enter data as appropriate. You'll find that going wider and larger aspect ratio is going to make your proposed size waaaaay to big.

I don't know what country you are in but you should look at 225/50-18 as an optional "+0" size for our cars. TireRack has 3 snow tires in the USA or Canada for that size. Alternately, 225/45-18 would work and will probably have many more options.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
In reality, narrower tires would be a better option as wider ones tend to float on the snow.
st3v3cx-3, mainemanx and skyking like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

post #4 of 7 Old 11-30-2016, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I think if I lived somewhere with lots of snow and ice in the winter, I'd go for 16" steel wheels with higher profile narrower tyres if the steel ones can be used without affecting steering etc. The looks of alloys wouldn't be missed with all the crud thrown up, plus less cost if damaged when bashed against hidden kerbs etc. Narrower tyres should ride the snow a lot better.
mainemanx likes this.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #5 of 7 Old 11-30-2016, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
If you were looking at 18" Toyo & don't want to go 16", can your intended supplier not do a special order of the correct size? In the USA, Toyo list the Observe GSi 5 in 215/50/R18. In Europe they list the Snowprox S953 in 215/50/R18. Just a thought.

09/15 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jtonline; 11-30-2016 at 07:42 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Larger diameter wheels are for summer driving generally. Unless you drive a larger vehicle and need the larger size wheel and snow tire sizes going down in wheel size with the proper size winter tire is the best choice.

The higher aspect ratio sidewall gives the tire more flexibility in the cold and allow it to bite down below the snow and ice to the pavement to achieve grip. A larger wheel and shorter sidewall won't flex as much making it more difficult to bite down through the snow and ice for traction.

The car won't look as cool with smaller winter steelies but you'll look cool driving by someone still running their larger diameter summer setup when they get stuck with little grip on the side of the road (or worse yet off the road in the ditch).

Tony

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2019, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Did you end up installing 225-60-18?