Aftermarket Alloy Wheels - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-21-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sippffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dee Why Sydney, Australia (pronounced Straya)
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Question Aftermarket Alloy Wheels

Hi All,

I am throwing it out there and hoping that some of you good fellow members can answer a couple of questions, as I have been trawling through many web pages looking for something that may be of help.

I have a CX3 Akari which is basically the same car as the rest of the world called the GT, it has the current 18x7 factory alloys, but I am considering a change of wheels.

I also am waiting on my Lowered Eibach's to arrive from the UK, I am going to fit these Coils see how the Car is and then make the decision on what is the best way to go for Wheels.

I have a question in that I am thinking of putting a set of Mazda CX9 20x7.5 all have the 5x114.3 Stud Pattern, they will be fitted with 235/35/20 Tyres which is the exact same rolling diameter as the current 18's.

Or maybe a set of KMC Rockstars 20x8 the same as fitted to my old car in my Garage Images.

I want to be sure if it can be done, as the CX9 Wheels are currently fitted to a Mazda 3 SP25 with no problems.

What are your thoughts, and any idea of help is really appreciated

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
sippffo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 08-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
If the rolling diameter is the same, then you only have to worry about whether a centre ring is required when you place the wheel on the hub, and the offset of the wheel. The higher the offset, the more likely you are to hit the inner guard, or in severe cases, not even fit on the hub as you may foul the suspension.

It more than likely is going to fit fine, given that it's an OEM wheel. I can help you with the positioning of the wheel if you can get me that wheel's offset.

2015 Mazda CX3 S-Touring AWD Diesel Turbo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Silman is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 08-22-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sippffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dee Why Sydney, Australia (pronounced Straya)
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
I have asked the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silman View Post
If the rolling diameter is the same, then you only have to worry about whether a centre ring is required when you place the wheel on the hub, and the offset of the wheel. The higher the offset, the more likely you are to hit the inner guard, or in severe cases, not even fit on the hub as you may foul the suspension.

It more than likely is going to fit fine, given that it's an OEM wheel. I can help you with the positioning of the wheel if you can get me that wheel's offset.
I have asked the guy at Mazda who I bought my car from, as he told me that they had indeed fitted the same 20's off a CX9 to a CX3, and had no dramas, I am waiting on his reply also to tell me if it is indeed truthful.
I think the CX9's have a centre offset at 50mm, but I could be wrong.
This is the Car that they have been fitted to, as he is returning it to stock to sell it.
Mazda 3 SP25 | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Hurstville Area - Mortdale | 1120568085

[email protected] Why

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard

Last edited by sippffo; 08-24-2016 at 10:12 AM.
sippffo is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
The offset on the OEM CX-3 wheels is +50 mm.
IIRC, the CX-9 wheels have an offset of +45 mm so they'll sit about 5 mm farther out from the center of the vehicle than the CX-3 wheels (which is no big deal).

Both will probably have the same center bore diameter (Mazda really likes 67.1 mm).

You should be fine if you keep the same outer diameter.

Just don't be surprised if your fuel economy and stopping distances significantly degrade.


2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
NotAPreppie is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Senior Member
 
funambulistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Whoa, those wheels look great! They really fill the wheel wells - but I imagine the ride is quite harsh. Lots of other stuff going on with the car, which can be cool at times, sometimes not. From what I can see, there is a lot of window dressing going on on a basic 3 (not a Mazdaspeed, as it called in the US) and won't provided much of anything, aside from appearance. I do like the look of the car, but, not be harsh (different strokes and all) all of the makeup does not make it a performance machine. I liked my MS3 because, right off the showroom floor it was insane, without any add-ons. Had I owned it longer, I may have started tuning it...

I wish you all the luck with your 20's - should make for an awesome look.

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT
funambulistic is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sippffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dee Why Sydney, Australia (pronounced Straya)
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funambulistic View Post
Whoa, those wheels look great! They really fill the wheel wells - but I imagine the ride is quite harsh. Lots of other stuff going on with the car, which can be cool at times, sometimes not. From what I can see, there is a lot of window dressing going on on a basic 3 (not a Mazdaspeed, as it called in the US) and won't provided much of anything, aside from appearance. I do like the look of the car, but, not be harsh (different strokes and all) all of the makeup does not make it a performance machine. I liked my MS3 because, right off the showroom floor it was insane, without any add-ons. Had I owned it longer, I may have started tuning it...

I wish you all the luck with your 20's - should make for an awesome look.
What I was doing in providing those Pictures was to show which wheels I am thinking about, the Car is not mine. Its being sold by the owner and he is taking all the stuff off it hence selling the wheel set, basically he is asking around $1500 they have brand new tyres fitted, whereas if I bought most aftermarket sets I think I will be paying closer to a thousand more.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
sippffo is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippffo View Post
...basically he is asking around $1500 they have brand new tyres fitted, whereas if I bought most aftermarket sets I think I will be paying closer to a thousand more.
Sounds like a steal as long as the wheels are true and the tires aren't complete crap (i.e. Linglong).


2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
NotAPreppie is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
The offset on the OEM CX-3 wheels is +50 mm.
IIRC, the CX-9 wheels have an offset of +45 mm so they'll sit about 5 mm farther out from the center of the vehicle than the CX-3 wheels (which is no big deal).

Both will probably have the same center bore diameter (Mazda really likes 67.1 mm).

You should be fine if you keep the same outer diameter.

Just don't be surprised if your fuel economy and stopping distances significantly degrade.
This isn't correct. The CX3 18" wheel is a 7" +50 offset. The CX9 wheel quoted is 7.5" at +45 offset and will result in 1mm less clearance between the wheel and the shocks (negligible difference), however the wheel will extend 11mm towards the guard. (Not 5mm).

That wheel looks good in black, however as per the PM I would wait and save for the wheel you really want to get. These wheels are going to sit inside the guards and if you go this route, you may be wanting to then get spacers, and I think you may regret it as you could still make the choice for a better, lower, offset.
Silman is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
funambulistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippffo View Post
What I was doing in providing those Pictures was to show which wheels I am thinking about, the Car is not mine. Its being sold by the owner and he is taking all the stuff off it hence selling the wheel set, basically he is asking around $1500 they have brand new tyres fitted, whereas if I bought most aftermarket sets I think I will be paying closer to a thousand more.
I understand - that's why I said the wheels look great. They really do!

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT
funambulistic is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sippffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dee Why Sydney, Australia (pronounced Straya)
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Hi All,

Thanks for all the information in regard to the possible fitment of CX9 Alloys, this certainly answers a lot of questions that I initially had.

Thank you all for the help.

Darren

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
sippffo is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome