2Likes
  • 1 Post By Snoogie
  • 1 Post By Snoogie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
CX9 - Sloshing sound near glove compartment.

I have not found an active CX9 site. Any suggestions?

I have a 2014 CX9 with 50,000 miles. A couple months ago it started making a sloshing sound near the glove compartment on turns. We took everything out of the car, but it didn't help.
The corner repair shop said a hose that drained the AC was clogged. They fixed it and all was fine for 2 months.
Now it is back.

Are they right about the problem? Why then did it reoccur so quickly after not happening for years?
If not, what else might it be?
Thanks.

Last edited by Toller; 07-05-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Unfortunately it is a very common problem with the previous generation CX9s that water (AC condensation) will collect due to the drain hose being clogged. The suggested and cheapest fix is to have pressurized air shot into the drain hose located under the vehicle hidden by the first set of heat shields after the catalytic converter. Otherwise the only other option is to have a shop or yourself pull apart the dash and hvac system to remove any debris in the AC system which from the few that I did take apart for such reason is a pain and costly if going through a shop as they will charge you for the rate of removing the dash which is a few hours.

Also to note here that if you feel around your front passenger side flooring below the glove box that the carpet may be wet or soak and will require it to be dried to prevent mildew and mold from growing. That will require the removal of the trim and rubber seal around the lower door frame (not the actual door itself) and foot rest area to pull the carpet and allow to dry. So depending on how humid your location is, how often you run your a/c, and just sheer luck on when that hose will clog again as the debris was not physically removed the first time, you will to have that hose be unclogged so often. Last CX9 I did had about a 1 gal of water to drain which also seeped into the passenger area as I mentioned.

Hope this helps clarify this.
Levi3xt likes this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Well there is this site........

Mazda CX-9

........but we've got The Snoogs so what more do you need?

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
Unfortunately it is a very common problem with the previous generation CX9s that water (AC condensation) will collect due to the drain hose being clogged. The suggested and cheapest fix is to have pressurized air shot into the drain hose located under the vehicle hidden by the first set of heat shields after the catalytic converter. Otherwise the only other option is to have a shop or yourself pull apart the dash and hvac system to remove any debris in the AC system which from the few that I did take apart for such reason is a pain and costly if going through a shop as they will charge you for the rate of removing the dash which is a few hours.
If it is going to clog every few months, it might be cheaper to remove the debris.

Is the debris from the manufacturing process, or is it a consequence of using the AC?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I presume it's road dirt. Maybe it can be repositioned.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2016, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
The debris comes straight from the outside, meaning dirt or leaves and what have you. I totally recommend having the dash taken apart to remove any and all debris from there but in my experience, customers here didnt want to spend the labor cost ($115/hr I think for our shop).
The problem isnt on the exit end of the tube but the entrance of the drain tube in the dash that debris finds it way in there and clogs the drain tube. I believe I had 1 customer about a year ago who actually paid to have us remove the dash and clear out the A/C ducting and such. I dont recall the rate/time for it but they didnt have to pay the extra time I would take seeing as I'm not flat rate nor that experience at the time ripping the dash which included me drying the passenger area, which by the way we dried the area for 24 hours. So the choice is up to you/customer on whether it is worth paying to have the dash removed or pay about $10ish to have me shoot air up the tube and dry your car.
Levi3xt likes this.

Certified Mazda Technician

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode