4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-24-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
New Honda Fit

So, my wife and I went car shopping last weekend. A quick history: before we got married in 2010, she had a Chevy Colorado which was poor on gas, etc. She traded it in for a 2008 Honda Fit in that burnt orange University of Texas color (which is funny because she is an Aggie – sorry, USA inside joke). It was a great car for her proposes. We got married, had a kiddo and everything was fine. In 2012, we were pregnant again and the Fit did not, um fit (she packs for the zombie apocalypse on even a two day jaunt) so we got a 2013 Kia Sorento. Flash forward to today; kiddos are 3 and 5, no need to pack for every foreseeable outcome and we wanted downsize/reduce payment. We looked at the CX-5 but they were a bit out of our price range (might as well get another Sorento) and, of course, the CX-3 was to small. The Kia dealer kept sending us deals on lower end Sorentos, Souls and Optimas. She stopped by on a Sunday and looked at the Soul and liked it (especially the price). Ugh – I do not like that car. She agreed to go car shopping (which she does not like to do) and the first place I took her was a Honda dealership. I showed her the new Fit and HR-V. She is not concerned about CVT transmissions and driving dynamics – just utility. She liked the way the Fit drove better than the HR-V. We wanted to get the EX-L with nav but the dealer was being a butt on the price. During the back-and-forth negotiations, I spotted a couple yellow ones and took her to see them. Game over. It was an EX with cloth seats, but they are black (my kids are rather messy) and one can attach, with the right cables, an iPhone and get nav right up on the screen.

TL;DR

The Fit is the bomb! I prefer the CX-3 for what it offers for me, but for her it is perfect. It is extremely roomy inside, has some fun, funky features (like an actual camera on the passenger mirror [in lieu of blind side lights and chimes] that shows on the infotainment screen when changing lanes or parallel parking). The new body style is really nice as well (not nearly as dorky as before). Attached is a picture of the car and my very happy wife. Don’t let the perspective fool you. It really is a small car – my wife is fun size as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3838.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	10297  
greaseman85 and Sarah like this.

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT

Last edited by funambulistic; 06-24-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-24-2016, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a big fan of the Japanese brands and they all follow each other so the technology and the manufacturing processes are all similar. The Honda is a good choice. I also like the Korean brands which are very much modelled on the Japanese so the Kia/Hyundai brands

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 11 Old 06-27-2016, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
How much did it cost? if you don't mind me asking.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

post #4 of 11 Old 06-27-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The MSRP is $21,000. Of course the dealer added the ubiquitous "Protection Package" (it came with a heavy duty trunk/boot liner, which was surprising) window tint (not a bad price, really, but I would have gone darker on the rear windows) and pin striping (which I did not pay for). All told, after A LOT of back and forth (I hate the negotiating cr#p) we drove out a smidgen under MSRP.

When we got our car, the dealer did not have time to detail it (it had just arrived and still had protective plastic on certain spots) and we scheduled a time last Friday. They were nice enough to pick it up. While at the dealership, the driver T-boned another car at low speed (very minor cosmetic bumper damage). Our salesperson was quite upset and very apologetic in telling us the car, after repairs, would not be ready until today. I told him we were picking up our kiddos from the grandparents (which was true) the trip would be long and we needed a loaner. He delivered a blue EX Friday afternoon. Saturday, we picked up our girls - it was an 804 mile (1294 kilometer) round trip! So, we found out how nice a highway car it is with no wear and tear on our own vehicle. Total MPG was 38.2 (16.24KPL or 45.88MPG UK gallons - huh?) and I was driving 80+MPH (128KPH) most of the way.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
I'm a big fan of the Japanese brands and they all follow each other so the technology and the manufacturing processes are all similar. The Honda is a good choice. I also like the Korean brands which are very much modelled on the Japanese so the Kia/Hyundai brands
I agree with you Anchorman, but some of the Japanese brands are going crazy with the design elements! Not really with the sheet metal like Hyundai did a few years ago, but front and rear bumper and lighting elements. I think Nissan is the worst, but even the Honda Civic is a bit wacky (I counted 5 or 6 separate layers on the grill and the tail lights are a bit over the top). The Fit seems sedate compared to the Civic (the HR-V is actually rather bland). That's why I like the design of Mazda vehicles: everything just looks right, especially on this generation (the RX-8ish front fender on the older 6 and adding ribbing to the last CX-5 was rather silly).

post #6 of 11 Old 06-28-2016, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Good purchase, the new fit looks pretty aggressive for what it is. The last gen fit was absolutely fun to drive, very nimble

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #7 of 11 Old 06-29-2016, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funambulistic View Post
I agree with you Anchorman, but some of the Japanese brands are going crazy with the design elements! Not really with the sheet metal like Hyundai did a few years ago, but front and rear bumper and lighting elements. I think Nissan is the worst, but even the Honda Civic is a bit wacky (I counted 5 or 6 separate layers on the grill and the tail lights are a bit over the top). The Fit seems sedate compared to the Civic (the HR-V is actually rather bland). That's why I like the design of Mazda vehicles: everything just looks right, especially on this generation (the RX-8ish front fender on the older 6 and adding ribbing to the last CX-5 was rather silly).
Nissan are in bed with Renault so a lot of their designs are closely linked. I personally can,t stand French cars, they are dreadful things but like French cooking, it looks nice as long as you arenít hungry.

In the DK (disjointed kingdom), we call the Fit the Jazz; Honda Jazz | Small City Car | Honda UK
Sarah and funambulistic like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #8 of 11 Old 06-29-2016, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Honda does amazing interior work by providing an abundance of interior space and storage in their small packages. Hey Mazda, can you hire some of those folks at Honda?!?

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-29-2016, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Nissan are in bed with Renault so a lot of their designs are closely linked. I personally can,t stand French cars, they are dreadful things but like French cooking, it looks nice as long as you arenít hungry.

In the DK (disjointed kingdom), we call the Fit the Jazz; Honda Jazz | Small City Car | Honda UK
Jean Christophe Novelli has a Restaurant in Liverpool. But, don't go there as you are now NOT on the guest list Lol
post #10 of 11 Old 06-29-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9999 View Post
Honda does amazing interior work by providing an abundance of interior space and storage in their small packages. Hey Mazda, can you hire some of those folks at Honda?!?
You can't please all of the people all of the time, DJ. I perused some of the Honda Fit forums (Unofficial Honda FIT and Honda Jazz Forum for example) and they have a lot of the discussions we do; i.e., flimsy interior elements, "What would you change?", etc.. For the price, I think the Fit/Jazz (and CX-3!) have great interiors, nice materials and are put together very well. Granted, they are not an Audi, but neither is the price...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode