Mazda Will Show Rotary-Powered Concept in Tokyo - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Mazda Will Show Rotary-Powered Concept in Tokyo

According to a recent report, Mazda may introduce a rotary-powered concept at the Tokyo Motor Show.

Autovisie asked Mazda sales and marketing boss about the Qankel engine. Masahiro Moro responded by saying "stay tuned" and then asked if the publication would be attending the Tokyo Motor Show.

So that is definitely a hint. It could could an eco-friendly range-extended concept instead of an RX-8 successor.

Mazda exec hints at a rotary-powered concept for Tokyo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
What's rotary-power? Is it where they turn the wheels into alternators?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
The Wankel engine is a type of internal combustion engine using an eccentric rotary design to convert pressure into rotating motion. Over the commonly used reciprocating piston designs, the Wankel engine delivers advantages of: simplicity, smoothness, compactness, high revolutions per minute, and a high power-to-weight ratio. The engine is commonly referred to as a rotary engine, although this name applies also to other completely different designs. All parts rotate moving in one direction as opposed to the common piston engine which has pistons violently changing direction. The four-stroke cycle occurs in a moving combustion chamber between the inside of an oval-like epitrochoid-shaped housing, and a rotor that is similar in shape to a Reuleaux triangle with sides that are somewhat flatter.
Quote:
The Wankel engine has the unique advantages of compact design and low weight over the most commonly used internal combustion engine employing reciprocating pistons. These advantages have given rotary engine applications in a variety of vehicles and devices, including: automobiles, motorcycles, racing cars, aircraft, go-karts, jet skis, snowmobiles, chain saws, and auxiliary power units. The point of power to weight has been reached of under one pound weight per horsepower output.[2]
I just grabbed that from Wikipedia. There is plenty more info there if you'd like to take a deeper read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

Old 10-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Very interested in this news. Grew up around the old RX7s and RX3s back in the 80s. Fun little car and I used to love that rotary sound.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rotary is one of the best sounding engine! Love the way it sounds. Sorry to bump such an old thread. I still want to buy another FD3S and have project car again. I still have tons of parts from my old FD3S lying around. Still have a full intact wire harness also.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:38 AM

2nd FD

Power Coated a few engine parts

Old 01-08-2016, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Are you restoring your 2nd FD?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:12 AM

I restored both my first and 2nd one. I sold the 2nd one already. I'm debating about getting another one soon. I have a love for these things.