10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
New 2019 3 or Our CX-3s?

Despite all the hype over the new Mazda 3 introduced last night, I still think our CX-3s are better looking.

OK, I would like to have the additional tech and greater horsepower :-)

What say you?

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
It's definitely appealing.

The current 3 has the same ground clearance as the CX-3 and I doubt that will change too much for the 2019.

The addition of AWD is interesting. If it's available on the base model hatchback as well as the upper tiers then it makes me wonder why anyone in the USA would bother with a CX-3 (aside from our obsession with CUVs).

It's certainly an eye-catching shape. Behind the B-pillar it has a bit of the Chrysler Crossfire's pooping dog look but it doesn't look quite as bad on the 3. I think it's the fact that, unlike the Crossfire, it doesn't look like two different cars glued together. I kind of like it.

I've had my eye on larger alternatives since we added an 80 lb dog to our family (much to the delight of our existing 50 lb dog). A 2019 3-hatch might be just the extra little bit of space we need to take the dogs on trips. I'll probably look most closely at a Skyactiv-G 2.5L and let the early adopters deal with the joy of beta testing an entirely new engine paradigm (Skyactiv-X).
mainemanx likes this.

2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!)
2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 11-28-2018 at 06:43 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
This is probably going to vary depending on peoples tastes and preferences. In my case, that c pillar area near the rear/side is ruining it for me with regards to the hatch. It looks like a rushed job on the designer. You would think they would complete the aesthetic flow of the front to the back like they do on the current models. The sedan looks great and the lip trunk is a nice touch. The hatch looks like they used the template for the 2018 3 hatch and decided we need to add more trunk space and extended the rear without modifying the design or rear windows to flow into it. I would be more inclined to look at a hyundai veloster instead. The biggest hype here is for the awd system but who knows how thats going to play out in pricing since manufacturers like to dub it a "luxurious" or "premium" feature on sedan/hatches. Personally I would have loved to see a return to a "racing inspired" model lineup like the mazdaspeed.

Strange enough, I would question the value of a cx-3 moving forward if mazdas sedan/hatch lineup suddenly had awd all around. A mazda speed 3 or whatever with awd and a turbo would be a lovely competitor to subaru and the focus rs but thats just a dream at this point lol.

Also wow thats a huge blind spot on the hatch

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 11-28-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: mo' models mo' problems

post #4 of 23 Old 11-28-2018, 07:19 PM

Is it just me or are manufacturers moving towards what bmw and audi have done, where almost all of their models look identical and noone can tell them apart? Its like theres no soul in a car anymore that made you excited to own a specific one because it was unique and stood out sometimes too much, and sometimes just enough that it wasent lumped into the same category of "oh its a mazda". Like the buick commercials I see everywhere here " WOW DID YOU SEE THE NEW BUICK!?" no because a) noone says that ever and b) they all look practically the same and theres no added value between them especially when compared to other brands which trump it in comparison for the price and features. Now its just marketing hype to sell the latest model while a dealership bombards your mailing address with letters to trade in the vehicle you just bought a few months ago.

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 11-28-2018 at 07:24 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-29-2018, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
It's definitely appealing.

The current 3 has the same ground clearance as the CX-3 and I doubt that will change too much for the 2019.

The addition of AWD is interesting. If it's available on the base model hatchback as well as the upper tiers then it makes me wonder why anyone in the USA would bother with a CX-3 (aside from our obsession with CUVs).

It's certainly an eye-catching shape. Behind the B-pillar it has a bit of the Chrysler Crossfire's pooping dog look but it doesn't look quite as bad on the 3. I think it's the fact that, unlike the Crossfire, it doesn't look like two different cars glued together. I kind of like it.

I've had my eye on larger alternatives since we added an 80 lb dog to our family (much to the delight of our existing 50 lb dog). A 2019 3-hatch might be just the extra little bit of space we need to take the dogs on trips. I'll probably look most closely at a Skyactiv-G 2.5L and let the early adopters deal with the joy of beta testing an entirely new engine paradigm (Skyactiv-X).
Well thought out considerations, IMO. Comments:

• For us snow-country types, the CX-3 could definitely use more ground clearance. Someone mentioned a German firm that supplies suspension shims, providing a higher, if less stable, stance.

• In addition to the pose one can strike with their SUV, I think seat height (easy entry/exit, commanding view), not-to-mention space, adds to their popularity.

EDIT: I omitted my whole point! I think ride height ... their ever-lower, more streamlined, "sports car" orientation ... is one of the major reasons Ford is having to abandon their car line, and GM is cutting back ... no space, poor visibility, hard to get in and out, etc. While far too large for my needs and tastes, the CX-5 is a step in the right direction.

Now we just need some sales figures to substantiate or sink my conjectures :-)

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 11-29-2018 at 04:08 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Also wow thats a huge blind spot on the hatch
This is one of the reasons for blind spot monitoring systems.

Quote:
Is it just me or are manufacturers moving towards what bmw and audi have done, where almost all of their models look identical and noone can tell them apart?
VW did this a while ago. Look at the B5 Passat (1998-2001) and the MK4/A4 Jetta (1999 - 2005). It wasn't uncommon to hear people complement Passat owners on their Jettas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
Well thought out considerations, IMO. Comments:

• For us snow-country types, the CX-3 could definitely use more ground clearance. Someone mentioned a German firm that supplies suspension shims, providing a higher, if less stable, stance.
You can get coil spring spacers from Jegs or Amazon for $10 each.

-Tim Minchin.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM

Most people around here dont seem to grasp the concept of a turn signal rendering blind spot monitoring practically useless :/

post #8 of 23 Old 11-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It's similar in Chicago. My favorite is when they wait until they already have two wheels over the line before they signal.
mainemanx likes this.

-Tim Minchin.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-01-2018, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I, as with "most people around here" do not grasp

Quote:
Most people around here dont seem to grasp the concept of a turn signal rendering blind spot monitoring practically useless :/
I certainly do not grasp that the "concept of a turn signal" renders "blind spot monitoring practically useless". I do use my turn signal when I am changing lanes (long before I have two wheels in the other lane) and it is really helpful that the blind spot monitor does alert me if there is a car coming up from behind. Usually, it is overly conservative in the warning, but it is GREAT that it does warn you.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-01-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M View Post
I certainly do not grasp that the "concept of a turn signal" renders "blind spot monitoring practically useless". I do use my turn signal when I am changing lanes (long before I have two wheels in the other lane) and it is really helpful that the blind spot monitor does alert me if there is a car coming up from behind. Usually, it is overly conservative in the warning, but it is GREAT that it does warn you.
For sure it is a helpful piece of technology but you will only be alerted if you use the turn signals making it useless for those bad drivers who do not and just shove their car in front of you. Generally bad drivers are still bad regardless of the technology you give them. Call me old fashioned but I am a firm believe in needing some logic and skill when driving.

P.s. Blind spot monitoring wont take into consideration the speed of cars outside of its "sensor range". If you cut in front of someone just outside of the range who is going 90mph and you are going 20mph, that person behind better be paying attention and have damn good brakes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode