User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By mainemanx
  • 2 Post By PandaG
  • 1 Post By pmwpaul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-15-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
24 Hours of LeMons race @ Gingerman

Another Monday, another race hangover.

This time was the 24 Hours of LeMons at Gingerman "Where the Elite Meet to Cheat". It was such a huge blast.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hours_of_LeMons

I'll have some more photos posted in a few days but here are my personal highlights...
First, we literally drove the turbo off our car. It's a 1993 Honda Del Slo, bone stock except for Brembo front brakes (stock drums in the rear), Del Sol Si front swaybar (stock didn't have one), oh, and a used T25 turbo from a 1st gen DSM. The turbo was hooked up through a $65 Amazon Chinesium Special manifold and a custom bracket to help support the weight. The bracket wasn't enough and 15 minutes before the end of the event on Sunday, the turbo fell off.

The second most awesome thing to see was the 1970's Rolls Royce chassis with a 140k mile Chrysler V10 motor from a Dodge RAM (also, Viper). They ventilated the block by the middle of the day on Saturday. Fortunately, they had 3 spares in Detroit, so they had one brought over and swapped the motors out. Back up and running on Sunday and they were wicked fast. When they died on Saturday, the hook truck couldn't pull them in with a tow strap because they were too heavy and it was too muddy. They had to bring out the flat bed. The driver stays in the car when it's removed from the track and this driver gave the Queen's wave to everybody as he passed. It was amazing. (Apologies to any Brits who might be offended by cardboard cut-outs of your Queen or the defiling of a Rolls Royce with Yankee parts.)

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
OK! Good project! Fit a turbo to your CX-3. Or, maybe even a little NOS? ;-)
NotAPreppie likes this.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-16-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
OK! Good project! Fit a turbo to your CX-3. Or, maybe even a little NOS? ;-)
Tha would be a "CX-Wheeee!"
mainemanx and NotAPreppie like this.

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2018, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unbelievable that her Majesty the Queen was present :-)
NotAPreppie likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-21-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Garage
She was not amused but, strangely, she did seem to approve. I think. Maybe. I don't know, it's tough to tell with those royals and their stiff upper lips and such.

-Tim Minchin.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
We went to Gingerman again, same car but different motor.

Recap of Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL last April:
We blew $hit up. That $ is not a typo or an attempt to hide a naughty word. It was expensive.
LeMons events put all the cars out on track under full-course yellow. Once everyone that's ready to go has gone, they throw the green flag. Our driver did the parade laps and then unleashed all 170 HP and 180 lb.ft of torque (out of the stock, 160k mile 1.5L D15 motor) as soon as the green flag went out. He didn't even get it to the first corner before it went *BANG* and started billowing smoke. Being directly in front of the spectator stands, it was well-received.

We even made the leading story in the wrap-up video:

A postmortem on the engine revealed that the # 3 cylinder had filed for divorce from its conrod and wedged itself at a funny angle at the top of the cylinder. The conrod, being newly divorced and wanting to enjoy its freedom while sowing its oats, spun freely, destroying everything in its path.

This time, we went with a 2.0 L B20 motor from a JDM Honda CRV. Coupled with an Integra LS ECU (designed for a B18, but whatevs), it put down 150 whp on a dyno. This is what we raced last weekend.

We had a rip-roaring good first day. We started the second day 7th in class and 16th (out of 70+) overall. First driver had the car out for over an hour. I hopped in after a quick (okay, slow) fill-up and got about 3 laps before shit broke.

I was passing a Gremlin, trying (and utterly failing) to chase down the # 36(dd) "Save The TaTas" bustleback Cadillac Coupe Seville Camaro with Corvette parts and Coupe Seville body going into turn 10 at Gingerman. Powering out at corner exit when suddenly the tach jumped from 4500 to rev-limit-fuel-cut-7500 RPM. I figured the clutch had gone. I had just enough momentum and could put just enough power down to limp the car down the back straight and up the hill pit lane to our paddock spot.

I climbed out and the team went to work on the car. It was quickly noticed that the axle nut on the front-left corner was missing. As was the end of the axle it attaches to. When they lifted the car to pull the wheel off, it just fell off with the brake rotor and hub still bolted to it. The only thing keeping the wheel on and me out of the Armco barrier was the brake caliper. In a ~1G turn.

Siri, remind me to purchase a few lottery tickets.

-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 07-01-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode