4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-05-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
So I bought a Mazda3

Hi everyone. After doing my little test drive of a CX-5 and Mazda3, I came away more excited about the 3. After some time to reflect, I decided to bite the bullet and go for the 3 instead of waiting for the CX-3. The CX-5 felt a bit too big for what I wanted and the CX-3 looks like it will be too small in terms of cargo room and just doesn't have the edge in fuel economy to make up for it.

So the 3 offers everything that I want and need aside from an all wheel drive option. I'm hoping that a set of snow tires will be all I need to make the difference in winter. I figured that I'd rather have a vehicle that drove okay in winter, but handled like a dream the rest of the year, than something that was just "good" through all seasons. We'll see how that goes this next winter.

I probably will pop in and out some more closer to the launch of the CX-3 to see how people like it. I do hope it's worth the wait. I just couldn't justify it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-05-2015, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Were I pressed for time, I'd buy a 3 too. Great car. Don't be a stranger, give us some reports from the field. This may be a CX-3 forum, but I'm probably not the only one here ready to buy a 3 if the CX disappoints.

post #3 of 26 Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm loving her! She's nice and planted on the road. Suspension is sporty, yet nicely absorbs bumps in the road. Steering is very direct. Head room is a little lower than the Vibe, but not bad even with my seat cranked up higher. I think passenger room is about the same as the CX-3 will be.

The Mazda Connect infotainment system is very nice. I also added the Navigation with the SD card. Pairing my phone was easy and I can stream my music pretty well most of the time (although depending on how my phone is sitting it can cause some disconnects). The Commander knob is pretty easy to figure out once you play with it a little bit. The touch screen and some configuration options are disabled when you are in motion as a safety precaution. And there are some options in Navigation for real-time traffic updates, but they are disabled. I've read that there was a way to connect to WiFi previously, but that option appears to be gone. I've read that they may be negotiating to send that information over satellite radio. We'll see how that goes. Personally I would prefer an app on my phone to handle it instead of having to setup a WiFi hotspot, but then Mazda would need to develop apps for everyone and they would probably start with iPhones (which would suck since I have Android).

Right now I'm looking for some accessories like a cargo organizer, trash cans that fit into a bottle holder, and an adhesive Autobot badge (still not sure where to put it, though).

I'm also torn on what to name her. I keep going between Firestar/Starfire and Maika (means "Dancing Fire" in Japanese). I've attached a picture, but it's pretty big so I don't know how it will turn out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0205.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	106  

post #4 of 26 Old 06-05-2015, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaBouncer View Post
I'm loving her! She's nice and planted on the road. Suspension is sporty, yet nicely absorbs bumps in the road. Steering is very direct. Head room is a little lower than the Vibe, but not bad even with my seat cranked up higher. I think passenger room is about the same as the CX-3 will be.

The Mazda Connect infotainment system is very nice. I also added the Navigation with the SD card. Pairing my phone was easy and I can stream my music pretty well most of the time (although depending on how my phone is sitting it can cause some disconnects). The Commander knob is pretty easy to figure out once you play with it a little bit. The touch screen and some configuration options are disabled when you are in motion as a safety precaution. And there are some options in Navigation for real-time traffic updates, but they are disabled. I've read that there was a way to connect to WiFi previously, but that option appears to be gone. I've read that they may be negotiating to send that information over satellite radio. We'll see how that goes. Personally I would prefer an app on my phone to handle it instead of having to setup a WiFi hotspot, but then Mazda would need to develop apps for everyone and they would probably start with iPhones (which would suck since I have Android).

Right now I'm looking for some accessories like a cargo organizer, trash cans that fit into a bottle holder, and an adhesive Autobot badge (still not sure where to put it, though).

I'm also torn on what to name her. I keep going between Firestar/Starfire and Maika (means "Dancing Fire" in Japanese). I've attached a picture, but it's pretty big so I don't know how it will turn out.
good choice of color
it's quite possibly the best color for a mazda or one of. bound to turn heads... yours and onlookers
post #5 of 26 Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! Yeah. Meteor Gray and Jet Black are okay, but Soul Red is the best. Although if they still had Sky Blue like they had back in 2013, that would have been a tough choice. They should really bring that back as Reflex Blue is too light and Deep Crystal Blue is too dark.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:

Good thing you didn't get the light colored interior (I think) I might have been willing to hit you over the head to take it away from ya.

Last edited by okhick; 06-05-2015 at 10:00 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-05-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhick View Post
Good thing you didn't get the light colored interior (I think) I might have been willing to hit you over the head to take it away from ya.
No! She's my baby! Black interior and all!
post #8 of 26 Old 06-06-2015, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah. Meteor Gray and Jet Black are okay, but Soul Red is the best. Although if they still had Sky Blue like they had back in 2013, that would have been a tough choice. They should really bring that back as Reflex Blue is too light and Deep Crystal Blue is too dark.
Soul Red is an extra $300 I think. Also the Mazda 3 sits lower, is 175.6 inches in length (hatchback), has independent rear suspension, 155 HP (2.0L). All around fine vehicle.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-06-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron View Post
Soul Red is an extra $300 I think. Also the Mazda 3 sits lower, is 175.6 inches in length (hatchback), has independent rear suspension, 155 HP (2.0L). All around fine vehicle.
That is correct for the most part. Soul Red is a premium color option like white is. The seat sits lower and the car feels lower, but ground clearance is 6.1 inches just like the CX-3. Passenger room is slightly more than the CX-3, but the added length doubles the rear cargo space when the seats are up. And the model I went for was a 3i Touring, so it had the 2.0L, 155hp engine; but for those that want more power, the 3s Touring and higher get a 2.5L 184hp engine out of the 6 and CX-5. That engine also can get 27/37mpg city/highway. That's something the CX-3 can't match.

Now I will say that the higher seating position of the CX-3 would be another thing that I would like. It would also provide easier entry and exit at least for the front seats. I ended up raising my seat up a bit in the 3 in order to compensate. Although I still think the benefits of the 3 outweigh those of the CX-3 for my needs.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Jay

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
at least with soul red, there's a chance rentals might not be in that color, unless rental companies really think ahead, think about what selling the vehicle after might be like.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode