2017 Nissan Rogue observations - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-30-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
2017 Nissan Rogue observations

My sis, mom (age 93!) and I do a yearly jaunt to Seattle. This year, we opted to take her brand new Rogue instead of our Ford Explorer. This Rogue is the top end model with the lane departure warning and the driver early warning brake alert or whatever its called that warns you if you don't brake soon enough to the vehicle in front. it engaged only once as I was getting used to the car at speed.

I would think this car compares to the cx 9. Here's a few things that bugged me:

I really dislike the control panel of the console's a/c. heating/cooling; ie. the switches aren't dials. Its not easy to adjust the controls one way or another without having to take your eyes off the road. I much prefer the simple but much user friendly turn knobs on my cx3. (This is why I chose Mazda over the Honda and Toyota!)

There's too many bells and whistles on the main control panel. Mazda's is simpler and cleaner; more functional.

The middle information panel in front of the driver: way too much information about gas mileage, efficiency, outside temp, and the lighting is too bright and distracting, especially at night. My sis didn't know if there was a way to either turn it lower (brightness) or change settings to another option.

The lane departure warning.....at least its not too loud. But its a pain to hear when you change lanes sometimes.
Blind spot monitoring: really. Makes for a lazy driver. I always check my mirrors.

The factory installed GPS: my god. It's not the greatest. It didn't give enough lane change information while we were driving around Chinatown. Turn next right. A beat. Turn next left. WTF!? Twice I had to continue in my lane in heavy traffic without the chance to change. The only alternative is using the turn screen (which makes more sense). There are no options to avoid toll roads, avoid highways, or detours (unless you subscribed to Traffic Alert) and in this case it came with the car for probably a year.

On the nice side: Interior leather seats and adjustments are comfortable. Good armrest console with enough under space to put things in! Everything else felt good considering its the top end. Smooth ride, good acceleration though I didn't use the sport mode (nice to have - but the button is low to the drivers left hand!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
We looked at Rogues ... seemed yuuuge!

Got tired of waiting to suss out the Qashqai ... soon available in Canada?
So now her HR-V is our utility vehicle

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
I've never liked the Nissan Rogue, and haven't like Nissan since they moved to CVT (even though they were one of the first, they still have one of the worst CVTs).

To me the Rogue seems confused about what kind of car it is, it is too big to be a compact SUV like CX-5 or CR-V, but it does not have a 3rd row of seating like the CX-9 or Nissan's own Pathfinder even though it is not much smaller than them (heck looking at it it looks huge, bigger than the CX-9). It is just a pointless SUV to me.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

post #4 of 5 Old 06-01-2017, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
To me the Rogue seems confused about what kind of car it is, it is too big to be a compact SUV like CX-5 or CR-V, but it does not have a 3rd row of seating like the CX-9 or Nissan's own Pathfinder even though it is not much smaller than them (heck looking at it it looks huge, bigger than the CX-9). It is just a pointless SUV to me.
The Rogue does offer an available 3rd row of seating. Who'd want that or can fit in it is a good question. I do agree, It's a pointless SUV.

The Rogue is already underpowered. Can you imagine the weight of a few adults and couple of kids with that wheezing engine and CVT? Terrible.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-07-2017, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
A couple of weeks back, my wife and I decided to head up to Montreal from our home on the shore in CT. Instead of putting the miles on one of our own cars, we ended up renting from Enterprise, and wound up with a Rogue. The trip there and back was okay, however I was not too impressed with the Nissan Rogue and am quite surprised that this vehicle is Nissan's best selling car in the U.S. ahead of even the Altima. The trim level they gave us was the SV which I guess is mid-level. The ride was steady and the seats comfortable enough, but the acceleration with that CVT left alot to be desired. Frankly the car is under-powered, downright sluggish actually, and I do not like that the engine needs to rev higher for longer periods of time to get up to the required speed. I have driven my son's Subaru Forester and the CVT in that vehicle was much more responsive. Even my wife, when she drove the Rogue, felt it was much too slow; however she has a very heavy right foot as well as a V6-powered RAV4 for her own car. I thought that the Rogue dash was somewhat "cluttered" and certain controls (such as the SPORT mode) were hidden and/or inconvenient to get too. Interesting to note that the new (to the USA) Nissan Rogue Sport, which is just a little bit smaller that the Rogue will have an even smaller motor of 2.0L, not the 2.5L. It will be interesting to see how the Rogue Sport ends up selling.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode