Subaru Impreza brake work? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Subaru Impreza brake work?

I haven't found a good Subaru site, and you guys are great...

I just took my Impreza in for brake work.
They replaced both front rotors and one front pad.

1) Does that make sense, to replace a rotor and not the pads that goes with it?
2) If we had gone in for service earlier, might we have saved the rotors?
3) Is $220 in the ballpark?

My understanding is that the pads wear out first, and you generally only have to do the rotors if you drive with worn out pads. But what do I know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
1. No it definitely doesn't make sense. If rotors were that bad, one would think pads would be scored as well. Then again, maybe 3 outta 4 surfaces were good but rotors were changed due to excess runout or reached minimum thickness. Not very likely...

2. Hard question to answer... Like asking someone how long is a piece of rope? Seriously now tho, depending on cause/reason of rotor failure it is possible. Keep in mind that they are pretty much considered a consumable item. They do wear, and they do need to be replaced eventually. You can bring the car in once a week, you won't avoid having to replace them.

When I do my tire change over from winter to summer or vice versa, I clean up all my brake hardware to prevent binding. This type of maintenance will definitely extend the life of pads /rotors.

3. Being from the country north of you.... Can't help you much. But it does seem fairly good. Just the service you got doesn't seem great.

Rotors warp, wear, get corroded, scored from road debris, among other reasons. Not just from using worn pads.

Hopefully this info helps ya.

2017 CX-3 GS AWD

"If it can't be fixed with hammer, it must be electrical "
post #3 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Normal procedure is to replace both the pads and rotors as to eliminate the possibility of brake warping or pulsations (we always replace pads and rotors for that very reason). I know that the Subaru shop next to my shop would swap pads and resurface the rotors for customer cost savings as an option. I find it very weird that they didn't replace both pads. Did they not explain the reason for just replacing the one pad set? The cost will depend on factors like shop cost rate and cost of parts so I'm not familiar with common shop rates and parts cost in NY. Typically pads usually last between 45-60k miles depending on your driving style (stop and go traffic as oppose to highway driving).

Certified Mazda Technician

post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
The receipt says "1 - Brake Pads Front".

My son thinks they replaced pads on both wheels; maybe the receipt is for one set for both front wheels?

The car has 60,000 miles, so I not surprised it needed pads, but the rotors surprised me.

I have asked him to call as find out why the rotors were replaced.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
Normal procedure is to replace both the pads and rotors as to eliminate the possibility of brake warping or pulsations (we always replace pads and rotors for that very reason).........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
....... I have asked him to call as find out why the rotors were replaced.
Chances are.... It was all changed as set.

Chances are.. 1- brake pads front, was one set of pads. That is normal when buying a set of pads. 1 box with 4 separate pads.

Me thinks that you got a proper service at an average price.

2017 CX-3 GS AWD

"If it can't be fixed with hammer, it must be electrical "

Last edited by Klxrelic; 04-09-2017 at 09:31 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-10-2017, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
$220 for new front pads and rotors on an Impreza is a pretty typical price. Doesn't sound like you got ripped off or anything, assuming they did both front pads.

I've had 3 Subarus over the years, '02 WRX, '05 Legacy 2.5i, and '10 Forester 2.5X Premium. Brakes on all of them cost me about the same and we typically would only get around 40k miles out of a set of pads. Sometimes I could get by with 60-80k miles on the rotors, but usually only the rears. The fronts always got more wear and often with deep grooves, so usually ended up doing rotors and pads on the fronts at the same time.

I haven't been over to any of Subaru sites in a long time, but the Midwest chapter over at NASIOC.com used to be really great in the early to mid '00's when I had my WRX. Lots of gatherings, install days, road trips, etc. with our Milwaukee group. Lots of technical knowledge to share too. I know a lot the activity died down quite a bit over there after the honeymoon years passed after the introduction of the WRX and STi models in the US.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue
post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Just to add my voice to the chorus:

It sounds like you're fine. If you're nervous, pull each front wheel and check that the pads are all similar thickness.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode