LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Damn, Kia! Is that you?

The Kia Stinger Casts A Big Shadow On The Competition | car News @ Top Speed

Holy moley, Kia has sure surprised everyone with their brand new Stinger GT! This is one sexy and premium looking car.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
It's Yuuuge!
greaseman85 likes this.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Both Kia and Hyundai have been doing a great job both in terms of design and upping their perception of reliability/dependability.

With that said, I just can't bring myself to consider owning either brand.

I know I'm not alone here but both brands may never shake their old image unfortunately. If I'm going to spend Honda/Toyota/Mazda money then I might as well go with a Honda/Toyota/Mazda...at least I know for absolute certainty that I won't have that nagging feeling of "Did I make the right choice?" in the back of my mind.
nik007 and TiGrayMSM like this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 FWD Touring

post #4 of 21 Old 01-18-2017, 02:07 AM
bjn

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
The Kia Stinger Casts A Big Shadow On The Competition | car News @ Top Speed

Holy moley, Kia has sure surprised everyone with their brand new Stinger GT! This is one sexy and premium looking car.
But its still just a Kia.................

Mazda CX-3 150 AWD Automatic Optimum 2016 -
Honda Civic Sport 1.8 Automatic 2012 -
post #5 of 21 Old 01-18-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, it is unfortunate if people aren't willing to look at a car company as they are now, rather than looking at them as they were 25 years ago. Toyota/Honda/Mazda didn't start out with the image they have now either. No car company did. Most people in the car industry have started noticing Kia/Hyundai for a few years now and have changed their minds about them.

I owned a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid before I got my CX-3. It was a great car other than being, you know, a slow hybrid. But almost everything else about it was excellent, from the craftsmanship to the features (some not even available in any Mazda). And I never had any reliability issues with it.

The Stinger, and Hyundai's newly formed Genesis brand, really show the company's growth and intent. And it doesn't hurt that those cars are designed and built by Hundai/Kia's European division full of former Audi and BMW designers and executives.

And I'll say, if this Stinger is somewhat affordable and within my price range, I would choose it over any Honda/Toyota/Mazda.

post #6 of 21 Old 01-19-2017, 02:26 AM
bjn

Quote:

The Stinger, and Hyundai's newly formed Genesis brand, really show the company's growth and intent. And it doesn't hurt that those cars are designed and built by Hundai/Kia's European division full of former Audi and BMW designers and executives.

And I'll say, if this Stinger is somewhat affordable and within my price range, I would choose it over any Honda/Toyota/Mazda.
Built by former Audi and BMW people? I doubt it, so be it because it is people who have previously been fired from one of the big German factories;-)

Here in Europe, the small Kia (use and throw away cars) can sell, but when they become larger and more expensive, it will not have a chance to compete with neither Audi, BMW or Mercedes, people would still regard it as a "wannabe "how good it is ....
Lovely car ..... but it is still only a Kia / Hyundai ...

post #7 of 21 Old 01-19-2017, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well, it is unfortunate if people aren't willing to look at a car company as they are now, rather than looking at them as they were 25 years ago. Toyota/Honda/Mazda didn't start out with the image they have now either. No car company did. Most people in the car industry have started noticing Kia/Hyundai for a few years now and have changed their minds about them.
No doubt the quality/reliability of both Kia/Hyundai have increased over the years; but another thing that really bothers me about both brands is that they are notorious for "borrowing" major design cues from other manufacturers. They haven't really found their own style. All their cars are essentially just a hodgepodge of styles from other manufacturers, Honda, BMW, VW, Mercedes, Toyota, Infinity and even Aston Martin.

Kia even uses a modified Lexus logo on some of their cars in the Korean market. Hyundai of course still uses their stylized Honda logo.

Wouldn't totally bother me so much if they were still priced well below the competition but these days they are almost priced the same as the cars they are copying...you might get a few more perks but you're still buying a Kia/Hyundai.

If I'm going to buy a car that looks like a Toyota and priced $1000 less I would much rather spend the extra $1000 and go with the Toyota and not have to deal with any relative unknowns since I tend to keep my cars for 10+ years.
bjn likes this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 FWD Touring
post #8 of 21 Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjn View Post
Built by former Audi and BMW people? I doubt it, so be it because it is people who have previously been fired from one of the big German factories;-)
They are actually, KIA and Hyundai were able to poach allot of top designers and engineers during the GFC because the big groups were 'restructuring'.

Nothing is more wannabe with an M-pack on a car with the same horsepower as a little Korean car .... or a diesel

Mazda CX-3 S-Touring Deep Crystal Blue 6MT

Last edited by drs88; 01-23-2017 at 03:51 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM
bjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs88 View Post
They are actually, KIA and Hyundai were able to poach allot of top designers and engineers during the GFC because the big groups were 'restructuring'.
It is true that some of the new models from China, Korea etc are designed in Europe (sorry Trump), but it's probably not "top designers" major European car companies discards when they "restructuring" their business....
(as I previously wrote, I think it's probably good cars, but... its still just a Kia..............)

post #10 of 21 Old 01-23-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The vice president of BMW's M-division is not a top guy I guess

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode