1Likes
  • 1 Post By Snoogie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-23-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Missing an oil change?

I have a 2011 Subaru Impreza. Last June I gave it to my son as a college graduation present. The last oil change was in February at 29,000 miles. The interval is every 7.5 months or 7,500 miles. I didn't drive much so I did the 7.5 month changes.
It now has 38,000 miles, so it is 1,500 miles past due.

How critical is that? Will it lead to a catastrophic failure in the next few miles, reduce the engine life a bit; or something else.
Serious, I don't know. I always do my oil changes religiously and never have a problem.

He is a good kid, but geez, when I was 23 I did my oil changes. He goes to graduate school, student teaches, and has two part time jobs coaching crew; he says he knew he was past due, but just didn't have time. I explained that he had to find time; but no one had to explain that to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-23-2016, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
"Should be ok" but I would use the dipstick and check the oil level and quality. If its low and/or dark and gritty looking it needs an oil change. I'm assuming it uses lightweight synthetic oil so it'll help there if so. Rule of thumb is check ur oil level and quality at least once a month. I rather have enough oil than be low.
ghmpm likes this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 3 Old 10-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
I rather have enough oil than be low.
This. As long as you have oil on the dipstick with no other complications, you’ll be OK. Why don’t you keep changing it for him? This might be a good case to bump the viz a bit so that you have a little more margin for viscosity breakdown. If it specs [email protected], you might go to 0W-30.

One more thing (which I also learned the hard way), when kids are given something, they won’t value it, and therefore won’t care for it. I’ve noticed that as soon as they cough up some of their hard earned cash, they care. Human nature I suppose.

Last edited by Indydriver; 10-23-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode