4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Thoughts on "Brexit"?

In my opinion, at the moment it seems like a bad idea, but it remains to be seen how UK is affected long term. There are talks of Scotland and Northern Ireland holding referendums to leave the UK as their people voted to stay in EU. I'm not sure how Wales voted, but it seems like the major push for leaving EU came from England. Could we see a UK break-up as well?

As much as I think this is a horrible idea, I don't blame the people for voting this way at all. The EU was supposed to be an economic union, but it apparently has turned into something far bigger, and I don't blame Brits not wanting some faceless bureaucracy thousands of miles away making decisions for them. I understand the reason EU was formed in the aftermath of WWII, in a sense it was a liberal world order designed to keep the peace and stop another fascist from rising. But it seems like over the years it has only created more resentment in the hearts of people and has created all these ultra conservative mini-fascists rising to power on essentially the same platform Hitler campaigned on and acquired power.

I really hope this is an isolated incident and doesn't lead to the ultra conservatives in other EU countries calling for their own exit. I can't imagine the world with the likes of Donald Trump and Boris Johnson (The British Trump as I like to call him lol) in power. I sincerely hope we're not on the path to WWIII.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Don't ask me for a strong opinion because I haven't got one. I didn't vote vote because I'm in the USA but had I have been there I think there would have been a very long hovering of pencil over the ballot paper. The trouble is finding out some meaningful info about what the implications might be. The vast majority aren't sure so they've just gone with their gut and said no. Every newspaper for years has criticised the cost of being in and for the last few years Europe has been inundated with refugees. I think most of these people hope this will all stop. I must admit, the EU appears to cost a lot but how on earth can you judge it. As for refugees, I only know that if bombs and rockets were raining down around my family I'd be inclined to walk half way around the world to get away from it - it's a harrowing situation. What I would hope for there is more help from the west in resolving the issues. They'd probably rather stay at home than risk what they do.

It's a good question gm. I suppose we'll see.
Sarah likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #3 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
If you're 65, own your own home and have a pension, its fantastic for you. If younger and just starting out, its horrible.

The problem with some in society is that the "I've got mine, you get yours" mentality creates a have vs have not population.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 06-25-2016, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Like anchorman I have no strong opinion as I don't live there. But, of course it does affect all of us around the world. Wish I could understand more about it. On the lighter side, a friend is just about to leave for the US and then onto the UK. We said he'd have more buying power as our dollar strengthens agains the pound BUT....oh no, less buying power in the US as our dollar falls against the greenback. So, that's what they mean by "swings and roundabouts"?
post #5 of 21 Old 06-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9999 View Post
If you're 65, own your own home and have a pension, its fantastic for you. If younger and just starting out, its horrible.

The problem with some in society is that the "I've got mine, you get yours" mentality creates a have vs have not population.
I don't get your point DJ9999.
According to media polls it is the young voting "stay" and the elderly preferring to leave EU.

Former: 2015 CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv-G, Manual transmission, Soul Red Metallic
Current: 2016 CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv-G, Automatic transmission, Meteor Gray
post #6 of 21 Old 06-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osterga View Post
I don't get your point DJ9999.
According to media polls it is the young voting "stay" and the elderly preferring to leave EU.
That is my point. The Elderly have theirs and have less to lose in a spiraling economy (so they don't care about leaving). Leaving the EU will be devastating to those who are younger and just starting out (so they want to stay in).

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-25-2016, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That is my point. The Elderly have theirs and have less to lose in a spiraling economy (so they don't care about leaving). Leaving the EU will be devastating to those who are younger and just starting out (so they want to stay in).
Got U !

Former: 2015 CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv-G, Manual transmission, Soul Red Metallic
Current: 2016 CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv-G, Automatic transmission, Meteor Gray
post #8 of 21 Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
It would be interesting to know how many of the under 30's, say, didn't bother to register to vote and of those who did, how many didn't in fact get out and vote or vote by post or proxy. After all, everyone who voted's vote is equal and counts.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #9 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
The votes were cast and the result announced.

But hang on........some people now sign a petition to have another go as they don't like the result?

And exactly how many times must we vote? Oh until you get the result you prefer. But hang on maybe the other side will then also sign a petition? Utterly ridiculous. This is not how it works.
TiGrayMSM and st3v3cx-3 like this.

Still.................mustn't grumble
post #10 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
The EU was a bad idea. (way too much, way too fast) But having signed on to it, exiting is an even worse idea.
If you have a tiger by the tail, the last thing you want to do is to let go.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode