LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-18-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up Impressions after first week

Good day all,

I've had my CX-3 for just over a week now and felt like writing down my first impressions of the car. I'll start with the positives:

It's VERY economical and I mean, astoundingly so. In the last week I've driven about 380km of which around 85km was country driving (around 100km/h) and the rest was commuting to work and back from the suburbs of Cape Town into the CBD in slow, stop-start traffic. I've managed to use only 5.5l per 100 km, that's a mileage of 18.18km/l, about 43mpg US and 51mpg UK. It's way beyond what I expected at first.

The drive is very comfortable, though just a tiny bit cramped for my 6'4" frame, the seats could've been better, but I've sat on worse. The steering is sharp and very light at low speeds and the car feels very nimble, the small wheel is great to handle at higher speeds and tightens up nicely too. The gear shifting in the M/T is good, short and tight, though a little too tight in 5th and 6th at times.

I really love the engine, there's enough torque at low RPMs to keep going in a high gear at low speed and accelerate, when you put your foot down from a standing start it has a hungry grunt and accelerates quickly. Breaking is good too.

The inside of the cabin is really well conceptualised and executed, everything is very well made and stylish, I especially like the climate control knobs and the feel of the dash. The drivers console is also brilliant, the lighting is great and I love the carbon-fibre texture applied to the speedo, the light on the needle is also a great touch. The infotainment system is another great feature and I found the SatNav to be really good most of the time.

Now on to the negatives: visibility isn't as great as it could've been, the B-pillar is a bit wide and obscures my view most of the time when I look over my shoulder, I've had to move the seat a little forward to help with blind-spot checking. The A pillar has also been "in the way" a few times, but not nearly as bad. My main gripe is with the lack of armrest, which would've made the driving position much more comfortable, and automatic locking, which is something I'm used to and I keep forgetting to lock my doors when I go somewhere. But these are really minor things.

Overall, I couldn't be happier.
agent329 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-18-2016, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Glade to see you are enjoying the car and am looking forward to seeing photos of the cx-3 in South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_ZA View Post
The gear shifting in the M/T is good, short and tight, though a little too tight in 5th and 6th at times.
I had a similar issue with my car. My car is now a little over a year old now with 7,000 km on the clock and I noticed the issue completely resolved itself after about 3,000 km. So I guess it is just tight tolerences on a new car.

Mazda CX-3 S-Touring Deep Crystal Blue 6MT
post #3 of 6 Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs88 View Post
Glade to see you are enjoying the car and am looking forward to seeing photos of the cx-3 in South Africa

I had a similar issue with my car. My car is now a little over a year old now with 7,000 km on the clock and I noticed the issue completely resolved itself after about 3,000 km. So I guess it is just tight tolerences on a new car.

I'll post some photos soon, with Easter weekend and holidays coming up I'm definitely going to stretch the legs a little and see how it handles these mountain passes.
drs88 likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Good impressions. Thanks for taking time to write them up.

There is helpful info on here regarding the addition of an armrest. Something you may want to look into.

http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/interi...cessory-3.html

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-19-2016, 06:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_ZA View Post
...and automatic locking, which is something I'm used to and I keep forgetting to lock my doors when I go somewhere. But these are really minor things.

Overall, I couldn't be happier.
Congratulations on joining the CX-3 club! If your CX-3 is like the US version, you should have the option of enabling automatic locking. I posted pics of the process here:

1) Go to Settings
2) Scroll right to select Vehicle
3) Select Door Locks
4) Scroll down to Walk Away Lock
5) Check the box to enable

I hope it works for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	7129   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (2).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	7137   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (3).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	7145   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (4).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	7153  
post #6 of 6 Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
The walk away lock feature isn't actually an auto lock feature, as pointed out in this thread:
http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/electr...ck-system.html

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode