User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 08-31-2015, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Real world MPG & other early observations

Surpassed 1,000 miles on our CX-3 this weekend. We are averaging 34.5 MPG in mixed driving -- 80% highway, 20% city. I have to be pleased with that since the EPA estimates are 27/32 for the AWD. I certainly hope the AWD isn't just a badge they slap on it How can you tell it engages or is active really? Other than hopefully noticing how it drives better in the snow when winter comes...

I have to say that the AWD gas tank capacity is too small. Even getting the great mileage we are getting, the range for the CX-3 is only about 360 miles. If it got the EPA estimates, that range would drop down another 20 - 25 miles which isn't great range per tank. I've noticed the trip computer is very conservative and I believe it calculates the distance to empty based on 11 gallons, not the 11.9 gallon capacity.

It is a very comfortable car to drive, even on long trips. There is very little about this car I don't like and we are really happy with our decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-31-2015, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgage44 View Post
Surpassed 1,000 miles on our CX-3 this weekend. We are averaging 34.5 MPG in mixed driving -- 80% highway, 20% city. I have to be pleased with that since the EPA estimates are 27/32 for the AWD. I certainly hope the AWD isn't just a badge they slap on it How can you tell it engages or is active really? Other than hopefully noticing how it drives better in the snow when winter comes...

I have to say that the AWD gas tank capacity is too small. Even getting the great mileage we are getting, the range for the CX-3 is only about 360 miles. If it got the EPA estimates, that range would drop down another 20 - 25 miles which isn't great range per tank. I've noticed the trip computer is very conservative and I believe it calculates the distance to empty based on 11 gallons, not the 11.9 gallon capacity.

It is a very comfortable car to drive, even on long trips. There is very little about this car I don't like and we are really happy with our decision.
Thanks much for the report. You sound like happy owner.
Wondering now how the fwd real world figures wil do.

post #3 of 29 Old 08-31-2015, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
wow, congrats!! great to hear, cheers!

post #4 of 29 Old 08-31-2015, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Thats great news! 360 miles to a take would be a joy for me as I currently get about 220 in my 14.5 gallon tank lol. But agreed, should be a bit larger on the CX-3.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
The small gas tank is the one big negative for with this car. Well,the car has little room inside as well but i knew that before buying. The gas tank was a surprise. I guess my last car had a really large gas tank.

2016 CX-3 AWD GT - Ceramic Metallic
post #6 of 29 Old 08-31-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
This is great to hear. I have noticed a moderate uptick in fill ups. Mix of 60/40% highway to city driving currently, but I've been getting 31mpg so I'm not worried. But after going from once a week fill ups to about every 5 - 6 days, I'm wishing for a slightly larger gas tank. I've also been doing more driving since it's such a fun ride, but that's fine. We'll see how Baystate fairs on her first roadtrip to the Baystate this coming weekend.

Baystate Blue, the ink I love and now the color of the car I drive.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Sounds like you're getting decent mileage. It's a city and suburb car by design so the gas tank size is in some ways justifiable.

Good question over how to tell whether you really got AWD or not. Anyone here know?

post #8 of 29 Old 08-31-2015, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX-ME View Post
Good question over how to tell whether you really got AWD or not. Anyone here know?
Look under the rear of the vehicle and see if there is a driveshaft.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
These videos have been provided before, but just in case..

Subaru vs CX-3. In all fairness, some say that the Subaru works much better than in the video when going straight, which is probably why the Mazda rep demonstrate it while turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J66v5hdHAxw

Another interesting one that shows AWD is not "perfect" but works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-uAtG9gCvM

- Ben

Last edited by ccie5754; 09-01-2015 at 05:41 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for the videos! Some of the comments for the first video talk to the possibility that the AWD system only engages when it detects it needs to. That might explain the above expected MPG since we are not using AWD around here during summer.

Also, the trip computer seems to be learning from the average MPG it calculates. The distance to empty has been increasing on each subsequent fill up as the average MPG over the lifespan of the vehicle has been increasing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode