User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-25-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
2017 Chicago Owner-60 Day Review

I purchased a touring in deep crystal blue. I figured I would give my thoughts after two months. Overall I really like the car. It's definitely fun to drive and I am getting pretty good mileage.

Pros:
The color and styling are awesome. I get a lot of compliments on it.

There is some nice speed on it...especially when you click sport option

The wheels...particularly the darker rims are so freaking sweet.

It handles very well

Mostly a smooth/quiet ride...especially since I did the rust proofing. They coated the undercarriage which has made the car noticeably quieter when I drive

The interior is sleek and different.

I am getting spoiled by the heated seats. I've never owned a car with that feature. It's nice.

Cons:
The backseat space is pretty crappy but I knew that before buying it. I will rarely have more than two people in the car and I don't need to haul anything so this works for me. I wanted a moderately priced AWD cross-over that handles well in what will be a brutal Chicago winter

The gas tank is small. The meter reads 306 miles when I fill it up. My 2005 Altima used to read 370 I believe. I drive 72 miles to work round trip. I have to fill up on average every 5 days.

The infotainment system is okay but man the radio portion is pretty shitty. There are times where it either doesn't tell me the artist/song or when it's just wrong. My research shows that satellite radio isn't an option or it would be really expensive to get it. Does anyone have it?

The plastic in some of the places seems like they could have easily used leatherette. I mean come on

Mazda all weather mats are nothing special. Save your money and get the Weathertech liners. I did for the front and so much better. They cover way more than the Mazda ones. You'll thank me. I put the all weather ones in the back and the liners in front which will see the most wear/tear/snow/sludge

The glove compartment doesn't lock or even have a light. Dang Mazda. I ended up buying a mini light on Amazon and I stuck it in there and it does the trick.

I don't have any regrets. I do love my car. I just don't love everything about it lol.
greaseman85 likes this.

Last edited by Mooki33; 11-25-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Hey, another Chicago owner! Congrats and welcome.

I didn't even notice the lack of light in the glove box.

What did they use for the rust proofing? Did they just spray the undercarriage with Rhino Liner or something? It would have to be a pretty substantial coating to have a noticeable impact on noise.

Radio? Who uses that? I can't stand most Chicago (or any) disc jockeys, so I just stream audio from my phone.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-25-2016, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
Radio? Who uses that? I can't stand most Chicago (or any) disc jockeys, so I just stream audio from my phone.
I do! I live in London though so we have loads of pirate stations- no ads or playlist that repeats every hour. Can't stand commercial radio. BBC radio is okay too.
NotAPreppie likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-26-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
Hey, another Chicago owner! Congrats and welcome.

I didn't even notice the lack of light in the glove box.

What did they use for the rust proofing? Did they just spray the undercarriage with Rhino Liner or something? It would have to be a pretty substantial coating to have a noticeable impact on noise.

Thank you very much. I am not even sure what they used. I got it done at Delta Sonic for $289. I had a $100 gift card. The rust proofing comes with lifetime warranty against rust. They told me the car would be a bit quieter. I wouldn't say super quiet but I notice it.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
I do! I live in London though so we have loads of pirate stations- no ads or playlist that repeats every hour. Can't stand commercial radio. BBC radio is okay too.
That's an understatement if ever I heard one The Beep is by FAR the best broadcasting company in the world. I listen to it all the time, despite living in the US!!! So thankful that I can stream it through my phone (in the car) or via internet radio (at home)!!!

Kat

Proud owner of 2017 AWD Grand Touring
post #6 of 11 Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooki33 View Post
I purchased a touring in deep crystal blue. I figured I would give my thoughts after two months. Overall I really like the car. It's definitely fun to drive and I am getting pretty good mileage.

Pros:
The color and styling are awesome. I get a lot of compliments on it.

There is some nice speed on it...especially when you click sport option

The wheels...particularly the darker rims are so freaking sweet.

It handles very well

Mostly a smooth/quiet ride...especially since I did the rust proofing. They coated the undercarriage which has made the car noticeably quieter when I drive

The interior is sleek and different.

I am getting spoiled by the heated seats. I've never owned a car with that feature. It's nice.

Cons:
The backseat space is pretty crappy but I knew that before buying it. I will rarely have more than two people in the car and I don't need to haul anything so this works for me. I wanted a moderately priced AWD cross-over that handles well in what will be a brutal Chicago winter

The gas tank is small. The meter reads 306 miles when I fill it up. My 2005 Altima used to read 370 I believe. I drive 72 miles to work round trip. I have to fill up on average every 5 days.

The infotainment system is okay but man the radio portion is pretty shitty. There are times where it either doesn't tell me the artist/song or when it's just wrong. My research shows that satellite radio isn't an option or it would be really expensive to get it. Does anyone have it?

The plastic in some of the places seems like they could have easily used leatherette. I mean come on

Mazda all weather mats are nothing special. Save your money and get the Weathertech liners. I did for the front and so much better. They cover way more than the Mazda ones. You'll thank me. I put the all weather ones in the back and the liners in front which will see the most wear/tear/snow/sludge

The glove compartment doesn't lock or even have a light. Dang Mazda. I ended up buying a mini light on Amazon and I stuck it in there and it does the trick.

I don't have any regrets. I do love my car. I just don't love everything about it lol.
I Amazoned those mats - boy are they expensive!! Are they really worth it??

Kat

post #7 of 11 Old 08-10-2017, 07:06 PM
cvj

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I went with the premium floor liners, and I like them way better than the Weather Tech mats.

https://mazdashop.ca/collections/201...2016-2017-2018

2017 CX-3 GT AWD, Automatic w/Tech,
Titanium Mica.

H&R | Sport Spring - CX-3 (AWD) 28775-2
Remus Sport Exhaust
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light W/EXO
post #8 of 11 Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvj View Post
I went with the premium floor liners, and I like them way better than the Weather Tech mats.

https://mazdashop.ca/collections/201...2016-2017-2018
Right! I have those Mazda rubber/plastic mats as well. I don't understand why more people don't opt for them over the Weather Tech ones. They are lighter and stiffer and they stay in place better because of the texture of the backing that holds it to the underpad like glue. They are really easy to pull out, hose them off, scrub them and then pop them back in.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Ugh. Amazing what a bunch of plastic costs! But I guess I'll hve to bite the bullet at some point - don't want all that grime in my beautiful new car
Vipre77 likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-15-2017, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Right! I have those Mazda rubber/plastic mats as well. I don't understand why more people don't opt for them over the Weather Tech ones. They are lighter and stiffer and they stay in place better because of the texture of the backing that holds it to the underpad like glue. They are really easy to pull out, hose them off, scrub them and then pop them back in.
I have the Mazda all-weather mats and they look nice and they are easy to remove and clean like you said, but I think they leave too much carpeting exposed on the side by the driver's door and toward the rear under the front seats. I have my seat almost all the way back which leaves the carpet under the seat poorly protected by the factory mats. If they came back another 2-3 inches it would be a big improvement, I think. I have a lot of salt, grass clippings, sand from gravel, etc. that tends to collect in these areas. The salt, in particular, is a royal pain to get out of the carpeting once it's there. Does anyone know if the carpets have a moisture barrier on the back side of it? I don't want to wet it down with water or carpet shampoo to clean it because then the salt would just dissolves and soak into the carpeting and comes in contact with the underlying metal which would be worse long-term if there's no moisture barrier. The Weathertech liners come up on the sides to help better protect these areas that the factory mats don't cover. If the Weathertech mats would have been available when I bought my car, I'd have gone that route instead of the factory mats, but they didn't become available until the following spring or summer.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode