User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Greetings from Michigan!

Hello everyone! Iím MechaBouncer from Michigan. I use this handle everywhere, so if youíve seen it before on other forums, itís probably me. Iíve been pretty obsessed with the CX-3 since I first saw it at the Detroit Auto Show. So Iíve been trying to learn everything I can about it while waiting for it to finally arrive in my area.

I currently drive a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT. I have become very accustomed to the high-riding hatchback that the Vibe (and Matrix) offers and even owned a 2003 Vibe before it. Sheís been a reliable car for the last several years, but Iíve been wanting a bit more out of a vehicle in terms of fuel economy, AWD (we get a good amount of snow), infotainment and media streaming. It seems like now this class of vehicles has really taken off and the CX-3 appears to offer the most of what I am looking for. It also sounds like it handles more like a sporty car than an awkward SUV, which is another thing I really want coming from how the Vibe handles.

So Iím excited to be here to learn all that I can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Glad to have you here on the forum. You must have got one of the last Pontiacs ever made. There is some good info on this forum, and we are pretty on the ball about finding new info as it shows its face.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy View Post
Glad to have you here on the forum. You must have got one of the last Pontiacs ever made. There is some good info on this forum, and we are pretty on the ball about finding new info as it shows its face.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers.
Just about. 2010 was the final year for them. And the transition hasn't been very good especially considering the Vibe is pretty much a Toyota Matrix underneath. It's always felt like an unwanted stepchild in their eyes, but I've loved it for what it is. I'm really hoping that the CX-3 is a suitable upgrade/replacement and that's what I'm trying to find out.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!
Glad to hear your Pontiac has been reliable, always been skeptical about GM vehicles, but it's always good to hear someones great experience with them.

Have you been looking at any other CUV's than the CX-3?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXIII View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Glad to hear your Pontiac has been reliable, always been skeptical about GM vehicles, but it's always good to hear someones great experience with them.
Since the Vibe was built at the NUMMI plant, it's quite a bit more Toyota than GM. But my brother is still driving my old 2003 with about 160,000 miles and my 2009 still runs well with 113,000 miles. The only major service either needed was the radiator replaced on the 2003, but that was because I managed to get ice jammed up into it and punctured the plastic housing. The rest has been mostly cosmetic and recalls. Then again, they have had their fair share of those.

Quote:
Have you been looking at any other CUV's than the CX-3?
Here's my current list of possible vehicles:
1. Mazda CX-3 - This one is still king. Appears to offer best value, fuel economy, and fun factor.
2. Honda HR-V - Does offer a bit more in terms of space and utility, but also more *yawn*. Also I HATE touch button climate controls.
3. Fiat 500X - Recently added to the list, but offers most features that I want. Mileage would be about the same, but power would increase.
4. Jeep Renegade - "Jeep! Jeep!" It's a Jeeped-up version of the 500X, for better or worse.
5. Chevrolet Trax/Buick Encore - Actually drove a Trax, but it felt awkward. It's back on the list for now, but barely holding on.

Subaru was really high on the list with a XV Crosstrek or Impreza, but then I started reading about several people reporting rather high oil consumption of up to a quart every 1000 miles or so. It's even warranted a couple of class action lawsuits. That's rather excessive to me, so I took them off of the list. I just don't want to risk that despite liking them otherwise.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 PM

As nice as the Jeep Renegade is, i've been hearing owning have been having a lot of problems. With that vehicle, you'll be better off sitting on the sidelines and waiting for things to improve.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-29-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
As nice as the Jeep Renegade is, i've been hearing owning have been having a lot of problems. With that vehicle, you'll be better off sitting on the sidelines and waiting for things to improve.
Glad to hear! The 500X and Renegade were recent additions in the sake of being more thorough with my options. That and price was decent. I've only recently been hearing about quality issues with Fiat and sounds like the same goes for the Renegade. The more I can cross off the list while I wait, the better.

Technically I'm in no need of a new vehicle right now. My car has been running well and does what I need of it. Ideally I'd like to get a new vehicle with AWD before next winter.

Having said that, the more I read/see about the CX-3, the more I want to drive one. I'm also a bit nervous as I cross more vehicles off the list about only having the CX-3 remaining. What if I don't like it after all? What if I do find some glaring issue with it? This is also driving my obsession to find out everything I can about it. So far, the things I know about I think I can live with (poor visibility around the C/D pillars, lower ground clearance, lower cargo space, lower rear seat space, and awkward placement of CD drive to name a few).

In the end, it will probably come down to the CX-3 and HR-V. I'm somewhat tempted to put the CX-5 on there, but it's a little bigger than I was looking for.

EDIT:
And just today I got a link from Mazda regarding the latest Consumer Reports ratings. They're 2nd on the list overall, while Fiat, Crysler, Jeep, Ram, and Dodge round off the bottom. So I see what you mean. Here's the link:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...card/index.htm

Last edited by MechaBouncer; 04-29-2015 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #8 of 11 Old 04-30-2015, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Welcome Mecha! The Renegaede seems great on paper but the options don't scale well, it really feels like they're trying to squeeze every last drop out of you (probabaly a result of FCA's dismal margins right now and Jeeps popularity)

I too am CX-3 vs HRV (you can find me on the HRV site as well, are you there BTW?) The only thing that worries me about the Mazda is the dealer network size compared to Honda, then again if you're in a metro that probabaly doesn't matter as much...
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanban View Post
Welcome Mecha! The Renegaede seems great on paper but the options don't scale well, it really feels like they're trying to squeeze every last drop out of you (probabaly a result of FCA's dismal margins right now and Jeeps popularity)

I too am CX-3 vs HRV (you can find me on the HRV site as well, are you there BTW?) The only thing that worries me about the Mazda is the dealer network size compared to Honda, then again if you're in a metro that probabaly doesn't matter as much...
I haven't joined any HR-V forums yet, but Honda has been a bit better about getting information out. I'm still a bit more lukewarm about the HR-V in general, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to get all the info I can.

Dealer networks shouldn't really be a problem for me. There are 2 Mazda dealerships within pretty close proximity, one of which is on my way to work. Both of which are very close to the dealerships that I bought my previous Vibes from, funny enough. Although there are a couple Honda dealerships that are closer to my work and home. And I do believe that there's one near the Mazda dealership in between home and work. So I don't anticipate an issue either way.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2015, 09:51 PM

HR-V is one of the more worth competitors to look into especially as it has been available elsewhere for a while now, known as the Vezel. Meaning, more initial problems worked out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode