CX-3 design flaw, how to handle any warranty claims? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-03-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question CX-3 design flaw, how to handle any warranty claims?

So our ~6 month old 2019 CX-3 GT, with less than 3K miles, is in the shop for 2 days now, going on 3, because of a loud rattle. It sounded 'exhaust' to me (metal on metal), but the service dept thinks it's from inside the dash somewhere.

I'll let this process play out, but found out today that they were able to replicate the noise on a brand new car they had on the lot, as well as another car with some mileage on it. One adviser mentioned that it was at high RPM that it occurred... he mentioned 6500. When it first happened to me I was going 70-ish mph, not sure about the rpm. When it happened to my wife the other day she said she was going between 40-50mph just after traffic had cleared, so nowhere near 6500 rpm. We are just cruising along and it starts out of nowhere.

Clearly if they replicated it on a brand new car there is a fundamental design flaw in the car. And any mention of only being able to drive at certain speeds or rpms is not acceptable.

If it were to come down to it, would an intrinsic flaw in the design be covered under warranty? i.e. "I'm not going to live with a car that makes noise and can only do this or can't do that because of your manufacturing defect, take this car off my hands and give me something else/money back." Would that be an outright battle with Mazda? Lawyers? How about the value of aftermarket addons like XPEL wrap?

I don't know what's going to happen but I should be educated on what options I might have if it came down to "we can't seem to fix this".

The linked video was recorded the other night on the highway, it was the second or third time I was able to get it to do it but the longest to be able to hit the record button.

https://youtu.be/6_b-ip4iZmM

19 CX-3 GT Deep Blue | Rokblokz Mud Flaps | XPEL Front Wrap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-03-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
No chance thats exhaust shield rattle? Also if you apply pressure around the speaker on the door does anything change? I heard something similar in another car that was a loose speaker screw and was vibrating the speaker in the door.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #3 of 6 Old 10-04-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

The 'chance' of anything is possible, and hopefully it's not something like a door speaker screw!! I don't have all the details but from the sounds of it they have ripped apart the entire dash area. Who knows how extensively.. that would be pretty bad if it ended up being in the door panel!!

However, I "feel" that the intermittent occurrence points to something less obvious/a little deeper. If it were exhaust it would rattle all the time, at whatever speed caused it to happen. If it were a loose screw, same thing. If I can be driving at 60-70mph and nothing happens, but then randomly starts, and then ends, all at the same speed/rpm/whatever.. it would seem like whatever is causing it should cause it consistently.

It's not like it only happens when the wind hits me at a certain speed and angle............. or is it? (insert spooky music here)

post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykop View Post
It's not like it only happens when the wind hits me at a certain speed and angle............. or is it? (insert spooky music here)
I joke.. but you won't believe what happened.

The service people ripped apart the car, in the dash, pillars, everything... on the Mazda tech line multiple times... Mazda's determination was that it was 'normal operating noise' for that model, basically they had no idea so call it normal and get the car out of there.

Took a coworker for a ride right after picking the car up, and low and behold there's the noise.. I hear it from the right side.

He's in the passenger seat and hears it from the left side.

He moves around, hears it from above.

Puts his hand on the sun glass holder area and feels the vibration, viola! it's from up here!

What's above the sun glass holder that can be seen shaking and rattling? The GDMF moonroof wind deflector. We can see the center of it is flexible and flapping so much that it's probably hitting the glass, that seemed most likely, or maybe one of the retaining clips is vibrating.. but hitting the glass seemed like the obvious answer.

Took it off and then drove home, hit 102mph and still had no noise. I'm pretty sure that was the culprit. The wind was strong enough at the right angle to go under/through the deflector and cause it to vibrate.

It's the OE genuine Mazda accessory. And their accessory caused my entire car to be dismantled for 3 days for no reason.

Also saw that the dirt that collects under the rubber gasket that sits on the roof acts as sand paper and now I have scratches on my roof from their accessory.. going to have to look into that one.

I'm irritated at this whole situation because of a wind deflector.

Last edited by Rykop; 10-05-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Lol sorry that was a bit funny for all that work to be something so trivial but at least its taken care of for now hopefully. I forgot those existed since once you throw a roof basket on the crossbars on top of the car, the sunroof becomes a cage which isnt much use anymore for me.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2019, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Mine is a 2019, currently 3 months old with about 1800km. I've heard similar noice from the 2nd weeks which I suspect is coming from behind the infotainment thingy.

I don't think for me, the noice is coming from the sunglass holder but I'll check it out later. So glad to have read this coz I don't see this to anywhere else and I thought I was hearing noises.