2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-15-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Technical Service Bulletins..

Hi all.
Its finally getting warmer here on the west coast, and I had to use my AC recently on some warm days.
My 2016 CX3 will be 3 years into the warranty from Oct. 2015. Well the AC wasn't working, so I got it serviced and today picked up my car.

Edited to add: So it apparently was a leak in the condensor. Mazda removed and replaced AC condensor, added PAG oil and dye to AC system. CHarged AC with R-134a 00.420kgs.

On the Mazda $0.00 invoice I see there is a TSB number 07-17-03, and a TSB issue date of 10/4/2017.
Does this mean that the dealership knew of an issue or possible issue and didn't issue a recall, but only if there was a problem? If I'd waited til after October apparently this would have been off warranty.

Is there a way to find other TSB that have been hidden and not addressed under warranty??
Thanks
Pat

Last edited by zbgirl; 05-15-2018 at 01:53 AM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-17-2018, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbgirl View Post
Hi all.
Its finally getting warmer here on the west coast, and I had to use my AC recently on some warm days.
My 2016 CX3 will be 3 years into the warranty from Oct. 2015. Well the AC wasn't working, so I got it serviced and today picked up my car.

Edited to add: So it apparently was a leak in the condensor. Mazda removed and replaced AC condensor, added PAG oil and dye to AC system. CHarged AC with R-134a 00.420kgs.

On the Mazda $0.00 invoice I see there is a TSB number 07-17-03, and a TSB issue date of 10/4/2017.
Does this mean that the dealership knew of an issue or possible issue and didn't issue a recall, but only if there was a problem? If I'd waited til after October apparently this would have been off warranty.
Pat
I just received an interesting message from my service guy telling me that Mazda now has a upgrade program for replacement of the A/C unit and asked me to make an appointment to get the work done gratis. In the message it points out that the welding points are weak in the early units and the whole condenser part needs to be replaced.

Is this only in Canada or are others getting the same offer from other markets?

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-17-2018, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I just received an interesting message from my service guy telling me that Mazda now has a upgrade program for replacement of the A/C unit and asked me to make an appointment to get the work done gratis. In the message it points out that the welding points are weak in the early units and the whole condenser part needs to be replaced.

I believe this has occurred in the UK and other European countries in recent months.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options

post #4 of 14 Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 PM

There are two other Worldwide TSBs relating to the A/C evaporator (R107/16REV) and control unit (R081/16 ) problems which were issued in late 2016 relating to certain year / VIN range. Might be worth checking out with your dealer especially if your car is getting close to the warranty period ending.

post #5 of 14 Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbgirl View Post
Hi all.

Is there a way to find other TSB that have been hidden and not addressed under warranty??
Thanks
Pat
If you try doing a web search for Mazda CX-3 Technical Service Bulletins there is one site shown which does give a very comprehensive list. I can't give their name as it would be considered advertising. Happy searching

Last edited by st3v3cx-3; 08-17-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling correction grrrr
post #6 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

My Canadian CX-3 is also within the VIN range of this AC issue, but I've not been contacted. To be honest I would not have expected to be contacted as that usually only happens with recalls, not Technical Service Bulletins. So I'm curious that someone got in touch with you Geezer. From your post it sounds like this was someone from your local dealership that called you? Were they responding to an inquiry you made, or did they just call you out of the blue to come get the AC issue repaired?

My 3-year warranty will expire this September so I should probably look into this. My understanding is that issues related to recalls are fixed under warranty regardless of whether the owner reports an issue, but with Technical Service Bulletins they only make repairs if the owner experiences the issue, and only during the warranty period. Or am I wrong?

CURRENT MAZDAS2016 CX-3 GT - Soul Red / Pure White - 6 speed automatic • 1990 Miata - Mariner Blue - 5 speed manual - collector plates • 2003 B-4000 - 5 speed manual
PREVIOUS MAZDAS2003 Protegé5 Special Edition - 5 speed manual • 1991 Miata - Classic Red - 5 speed manual • 1986 B-2000 - 5 speed manual • 1985 626 - 5 speed manual • 1970 1000 - 2 speed automatic - my 1st car!
post #7 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
My Canadian CX-3 is also within the VIN range of this AC issue, but I've not been contacted. To be honest I would not have expected to be contacted as that usually only happens with recalls, not Technical Service Bulletins. So I'm curious that someone got in touch with you Geezer. From your post it sounds like this was someone from your local dealership that called you? Were they responding to an inquiry you made, or did they just call you out of the blue to come get the AC issue repaired?

My 3-year warranty will expire this September so I should probably look into this. My understanding is that issues related to recalls are fixed under warranty regardless of whether the owner reports an issue, but with Technical Service Bulletins they only make repairs if the owner experiences the issue, and only during the warranty period. Or am I wrong?
Back in November I received an email from the Mazda dealer (Achilles Mazda) in Milton ON where I bought my CX3. It invited me to arrange an appointment to fix a known problem with the AC on early CX3s (mine was bought in late 2015). Whatever they did seems to have resulted in an AC that is almost too effective in cooling the interior of the car. I believe the condenser unit was replaced. Maybe you should approach the BC dealership where you bought yours and insist on a review of recalls that may have been missed on your car.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Back in November I received an email from the Mazda dealer (Achilles Mazda) in Milton ON where I bought my CX3. It invited me to arrange an appointment to fix a known problem with the AC on early CX3s (mine was bought in late 2015). Whatever they did seems to have resulted in an AC that is almost too effective in cooling the interior of the car. I believe the condenser unit was replaced. Maybe you should approach the BC dealership where you bought yours and insist on a review of recalls that may have been missed on your car.
Thanks Geezer, most helpful. Interesting that not all dealerships handle these things the same way. I've always been impressed with my local dealership... but I'm even more impressed with yours right now! As it happens I'm due for a service in a few weeks, so I will be bringing all this to their attention.

CURRENT MAZDAS2016 CX-3 GT - Soul Red / Pure White - 6 speed automatic • 1990 Miata - Mariner Blue - 5 speed manual - collector plates • 2003 B-4000 - 5 speed manual
PREVIOUS MAZDAS2003 Protegé5 Special Edition - 5 speed manual • 1991 Miata - Classic Red - 5 speed manual • 1986 B-2000 - 5 speed manual • 1985 626 - 5 speed manual • 1970 1000 - 2 speed automatic - my 1st car!
post #9 of 14 Old 02-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I am going to bring my 2017 (purchased September 2016) in for service sometime next month. I am going to mention this TSB and ask that the A/C system be entirely checked out, especially the condenser. I will add that the VIN on mine is within the numbers on the TSB, so I believe is a valid request - I am at 18,000 miles currently. I will make sure this request gets documented on the write-up, so even if their Tech writes NPF (no problem found) and the condenser fails after the 3-year warranty is up, hopefully it will be covered (and assuming I still own the car - been looking at a CX-5 GTR).

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #10 of 14 Old 02-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I am going to bring my 2017 (purchased September 2016) in for service sometime next month. I am going to mention this TSB and ask that the A/C system be entirely checked out, especially the condenser. I will add that the VIN on mine is within the numbers on the TSB, so I believe is a valid request - I am at 18,000 miles currently. I will make sure this request gets documented on the write-up, so even if their Tech writes NPF (no problem found) and the condenser fails after the 3-year warranty is up, hopefully it will be covered (and assuming I still own the car - been looking at a CX-5 GTR).
FYI the issue is actually with the Evaporator, which is the unit that lives under the dash, whereas the condenser is the one mounted with the radiator.
Good luck, let us know what happens.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode