1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geezer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-29-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will undercoating void your warranty?

I'm considering having an oil or wax based undercoating applied to inhibit rust but am unsure if it would void the corrosion warranty.

Has anyone had an undercoating applied to their cx3 without any warranty issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
I doubt it will void anything. If you're in the US, they have to show how a modification would have caused a failure in order to void the warranty on a specific part.

That said, I don't know that wax- or oil-based undercoating make a huge difference. They just eventually wash away. You'd be better off with a properly applied rubberized product from 3M or Rustoleum.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 08-29-2017 at 06:47 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-2017, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Reading this thread from a Canadian perspective where our roads are salted regularly, I am pretty sure any rust protection that comes with a warranty of it own (like Rustcheck or Krown which are known to work well in Canadian winters) would be a good idea. If the manufacturer absconds their duty to the customer because of the application of one or the other, you can turn to the people behind these two products for repair as they come with a good warranty. That said, you need to read the contract carefully as there are probably conditions (like having the car resprayed and/or having inspections at regular intervals). There are lesser known rust treatments, but these two are the big guys in Canada.

By the way, where are you from? It might help reading your messages if you visited your User CP page and filled out more information about yourself.
mainemanx likes this.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-30-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
I doubt it will void anything. If you're in the US, they have to show how a modification would have caused a failure in order to void the warranty on a specific part.

That said, I don't know that wax- or oil-based undercoating make a huge difference. They just eventually wash away. You'd be better off with a properly applied rubberized product from 3M or Rustoleum.
I'm wary of rubberized coatings because of the horror stories I've heard if they're not absolutely expertly applied. Everything from chipping/flaking to actually accelerating the corrosion process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Reading this thread from a Canadian perspective where our roads are salted regularly, I am pretty sure any rust protection that comes with a warranty of it own (like Rustcheck or Krown which are known to work well in Canadian winters) would be a good idea. If the manufacturer absconds their duty to the customer because of the application of one or the other, you can turn to the people behind these two products for repair as they come with a good warranty. That said, you need to read the contract carefully as there are probably conditions (like having the car resprayed and/or having inspections at regular intervals). There are lesser known rust treatments, but these two are the big guys in Canada.
I hope on going to the body shop sometime this week. I believe they're offering a rustcheck type product but I'll need to make sure.

Quote:
By the way, where are you from? It might help reading your messages if you visited your User CP page and filled out more information about yourself.
Northeast PA.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was plastered in wax.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #6 of 6 Old 02-01-2018, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This is super delayed, but I am new and bored and reading a lot.
Technically under coating car void a part of the warranty.
If the undercoating "causes" a problem, that particular repair is actually not covered. EX: Undercoating swelling a gasket, or rubber, grommet etc. That's not a manufacturer defect it is a problem caused by the product applied to it. However Me personally, I would find a way to warranty it. Its how I roll lol.

Everyone loves a redhead... except your girlfriend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode