• 1 Post By SlyCoopers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Greetings from western Canada.

Hello to all of you. My wife and I just recently purchased a CX-3. We almost didn't because Mazda does not make much factual information public and that leaves room for a lot of false information online. Several sites claimed the CX-3 came with an unreliable Jatco CVT transmission and we did not want that. Then I came across a post on this forum by "anchorman" showing the CX-3 came with a Mazda six-speed automatic. Then knowing the model numbers from anchorman's post I then discovered that Mazda has produced millions of transmissions for Ford and their own cars. Most were "decent boxes" as one mechanic wrote. Thanks to "anchorman" we had accurate information and could buy our CX-3 with confidence. This forum is a great source of information so I decided to join and learn a few things about Mazdas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.

The box in your CX3 is identical to those in the high powered CX5 with the 2.5T and 2.2 twin turbo diesel so is really on top of the job in a CX3.

It is particularly smooth and for the most part you won’t feel it changing. If you are mechanically minded, I can post up some PDFs that tell you more about it.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Welcome
The non-cvt transmission was precisely the deciding factor that made me go for this instead of a subaru. After the horrendous experience with 08+ nissans having failing transmissions I think Im set with cvt's for a few decades haha.
anchorman likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you, "anchorman".
Quote:
The box in your CX3 is identical to those in the high powered CX5 with the 2.5T and 2.2 twin turbo diesel so is really on top of the job in a CX3.
My first car was a '62 Pontiac Parisienne which I bought used in 1969. It had a 283 with 2bbl carb and two-speed cast-iron Powerglide automatic. The car was not very high-powered and could run 0-60 mph in the low 14s and cover a standing quarter mile eventually. In '72 I traded it for a '69 Buick Wildcat with 430 cid engine rated at 365 gross hp and 500 lb. ft. of torque. At full throttle that one could shift the earth on its axis. It was very powerful and gave its lowest fuel consumtion at 75 mph. Despite this fact the police kept giving me speeding tickets every time I tried to save fuel. All of those tickets forced me to drive at less efficient speeds and probably contributed to global warming, climate change, or whatever they are calling it now. A CX-5 probably wouldn't outrun a Wildcat 430 but I expect it is quick enough for a family car. From what I have read some of those old Mazdaspeed pocket-rockets might be able to outrun my old Buick.
Quote:
It is particularly smooth and for the most part you wonít feel it changing. If you are mechanically minded, I can post up some PDFs that tell you more about it.
The transmission is smooth and works very well with the 2.0 litre Skyactiv G engine. The car is surprisingly quck for a car with such low fuel consumption. It would be nice, though, if Mazda offered some sort of insurance program to pay for the speeding tickets that "zoom zoom" might cause. They build it into the car and then leave owners to pay all the fines. Typical! [As Basil would say.]
The pdfs that you posted on another thread answered every question I had on the transmission. Thanks for posting them. One thing I have not be able to find is what material the cylinder lining is made of. Do you know what they are using for a liner in the Skyactiv G 2.0?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Welcome
The non-cvt transmission was precisely the deciding factor that made me go for this instead of a subaru. After the horrendous experience with 08+ nissans having failing transmissions I think Im set with cvt's for a few decades haha.
Thanks for the warm welcome, SlyCoopers.
When I bought my first car in 1969 CVTs had been in widespread use in snowmobiles for at least a decade. As I recall they were also available in some mini-bikes and go-carts. The CVTs worked okay for low torque applications but slipped too much for most other uses. Mazda has managed to get low fuel consumption in their vehicles using proven, reliable, and slip-free geared transmissions. They have no need for CVTs.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode