• 2 Post By Jroper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CX3 Questions

Hello, newbie to the forum.

I am looking to purchase a CX3 soon and came to this forum in the hopes of getting some user experience and feedback. I think the Cx3 is an awsome small vehicle with functionality and I have seen all the YT reviews out there, but these reviews are usually one drive opinions. From what I have read from customer reviews, apparently their are issues in the earlier models, A/C compressor and/or evaporator as an example.

I am currently looking at a used 2016 model year CX3 which are also are under the Mazda CPO program, not sure what this entails with regards to repairs and issues that may crop up, so if anyone can explain that would be great.

Is there anything else I should be aware of before purchasing used? Anything I should confirm or have the Mazda dealer certify for me in writing? Basically just want to know what issues exist for this vehicle so I can get assurance from the dealer this is not a problem on the vehicle.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
My advice would be that you do not purchase a 2016 CX3, they have like 80 technical service bulletins. Search this forum and you will find that 2016's have the most problems, buyer beware. Also be aware that some of the problems of the 2016 model year span a certain VIN range and can reach into the early 2017 models.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

How can I find the VIN range as this would be helpful when looking at prospect vehicles?

I guess that explains why I am seeing fully loaded GT models with roughly 50,000km (31,068m) going for relatively cheap $20,000+ CAD ($15,442 USD)
I say cheap as a brand new 2019 GT model is $32,825 CAD ($25,334 USD) not including taxes and delivery.

If a 2016 CX3 was being sold as certified pre-owned, would the purchase be good?
Apparently it's covered for 7 years or 140,000 km whichever comes first, although I don't know the specifics of the coverage.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I've had luck with the following site;

BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

They list the TSB's and some you can read/down load to get the vehicle details.

As far as buying with the 7 year / 140,000 km, it depends on your tolerance for the hassle of getting the car repaired and the down time without the vehicle.

Perhaps you can get the maintenance history from the dealer and it will show if it has any repairs done already?
mainemanx and Dukez like this.

Last edited by Jroper; 09-24-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Added info.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-25-2018, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
I have an early 2017 GT, and although I have limited experience (<10K miles), the only significant issue I've had was rectified under the factory warranty (search for the brake TSB).

If you're considering an extended warranty, they often include a courtesy car for any extended repairs.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-25-2018, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Zero problems with my early (June 2016) 2017 GT with 15,000 miles.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #7 of 9 Old 09-25-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroper View Post
I've had luck with the following site;

BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

They list the TSB's and some you can read/down load to get the vehicle details.

As far as buying with the 7 year / 140,000 km, it depends on your tolerance for the hassle of getting the car repaired and the down time without the vehicle.

Perhaps you can get the maintenance history from the dealer and it will show if it has any repairs done already?
Thanks for your replies. I've read some owner reviews and it really seems to be hit or miss. Some 2016 owners say that have no issues while others are having to go back to the dealership and getting runarounds which kinda scares me, but I suppose as long as the vehicle is covered by some form of warranty it should be okay.

I will definitely ask for the service history of the vehicle before a transaction is completed.
Even if the vehicle has zero issues to date, I would still want it documented on the purchase receipt that common problems such as A/C evap. system are covered under warranty.
This would be my terms for purchase of the vehicle otherwise I think I'd rather just rather walk away.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for you replies, it seems to be a hit or miss type of situation.

I will definitely before purchasing request the service history.
Even if it has zero issues to date, I would want them to sign in writing on the purchase receipt that a common problem such as the A/C evap. is covered for repair as part of the warranty.
I've also read about some other occurrences such as transmission issues and dash rattling.
This would be a term/condition of my purchasing the vehicle, otherwise I feel I would just walk away.

It's good to know though that not everyone is having that experience!
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroper View Post
My advice would be that you do not purchase a 2016 CX3, they have like 80 technical service bulletins. Search this forum and you will find that 2016's have the most problems, buyer beware. Also be aware that some of the problems of the 2016 model year span a certain VIN range and can reach into the early 2017 models.
I guess you had a few problems with your 2016 CX3. I also have a 2016 CX3 and have had nothing go wrong with it in the 3 years I have driven it. So let's not tar the whole batch with the same bush, eh?

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode