2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-23-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Smile Newbie here from Delaware

Hi,
My sister owns a 2017 CX-3, she's in Philadelphia.
She loved the feel of her torque-heavy VW Jetta (2003) but finds the CX-3 frustrating in terms of engine response.
It seems to be a combination of automatic trans and engine management software because even the pseudo-manual operation leaves her wanting.

I am here to see if there is a way to "chip" this engine in the U.S. .... what options are out there, see if anybody has tried them, what levels of success.

Thanks!
HukkFinn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
There aren't any/many go-fast bits for the CX-3. Econo-crossovers don't have a big tuner presence yet (I expect this to change as sedans and hatchbacks continue to decline) and the CX-3 is a small player in the lineup of a small player.

Which Jetta did she have? If it was a 1.8T, chip tuning worked really well because they could alter the amount of boost from the turbo. Not much to be gained from tuning an NA engine beyond raising the redline, tweaking AFRs, and moving timing a bit. I think Orange Virus did a tune for us but I only know of one person that has it (search this board for orange virus).

If her Jetta was a chipped turbo, it's going to be tough because those things were awesome (I had a 1999 Passat 1.8T with an APR chip). I made the jump from an Infiniti G37x sedan (300+ HP) to my CX-3 and I really miss the power and torque.

If she had a 2.Slow then I don't know what to tell you since those engines only made 115 HP and 122 lb-ft (read: less than the 2.0L SkyActiv in the USDM CX-3).

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 08-24-2018 at 04:37 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-24-2018, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
There aren't any/many go-fast bits for the CX-3. Econo-crossovers don't have a big tuner presence yet (I expect this to change as sedans and hatchbacks continue to decline) and the CX-3 is a small player in the lineup of a small player.

Which Jetta did she have? If it was a 1.8T, chip tuning worked really well because they could alter the amount of boost from the turbo. Not much to be gained from tuning an NA engine beyond raising the redline, tweaking AFRs, and moving timing a bit. I think Orange Virus did a tune for us but I only know of one person that has it (search this board for orange virus).

If her Jetta was a chipped turbo, it's going to be tough because those things were awesome (I had a 1999 Passat 1.8T with an APR chip). I made the jump from an Infiniti G37x sedan and I really miss the power and torque.

If she had a 2.Slow then I don't know what to tell you since those engines only made 115 HP and 122 lb-ft (read: less than the 2.0L SkyActiv in the USDM CX-3).
On this forum, I believe it is @TORQUERULES that has the Orange Virus yes?

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaG View Post
On this forum, I believe it is @TORQUERULES that has the Orange Virus yes?
Yes, I do.
PandaG likes this.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-25-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Orange Virus.... what does that do?
Does anybody in the U.S. have it?
Thank you!
post #6 of 16 Old 08-25-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Orange Virus Tuning

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-29-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukkfinn View Post
Orange Virus.... what does that do?
Does anybody in the U.S. have it?
Thank you!
I do. In the U.S. It is custom tuning for the Mazda Skyactiv platform.

I may be one of the first, if not the first, in the U.S. with this tuning on a CX-3.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-30-2018, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES View Post

I do. In the U.S. It is custom tuning for the Mazda Skyactiv platform.

I may be one of the first, if not the first, in the U.S. with this tuning on a CX-3.
Just found your March thread about your OV tune.

Early on you say “For the most part, I am surprised with the smoothness. Way smoother than stock.”
Can you expand on what you meant by smoothness? Sorry I am not experienced in this area.

Very happy to see you felt increased linearity in throttle response! That’s our big complaint.

Does every tune like this need to involve sending data back to OV? Are we saying that each CX-3 is unique?

Finally could my sister do this herself? She has NO experience under any hood, but she’s OK with a laptop.

Thank you so much for posting your experience!

Last edited by hukkfinn; 08-30-2018 at 07:09 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-30-2018, 11:08 AM

https://www.cx3forum.com/forum/engin...irus-tune.html

post #10 of 16 Old 08-30-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukkfinn View Post
Just found your March thread about your OV tune.

Early on you say “For the most part, I am surprised with the smoothness. Way smoother than stock.”
Can you expand on what you meant by smoothness? Sorry I am not experienced in this area.

Very happy to see you felt increased linearity in throttle response! That’s our big complaint.

Does every tune like this need to involve sending data back to OV? Are we saying that each CX-3 is unique?

Finally could my sister do this herself? She has NO experience under any hood, but she’s OK with a laptop.

Thank you so much for posting your experience!

The power delivery is much more linear and smooth just like the throttle response. You can tell there is more under the curve which is what these little engines need. Yes, there is more peak power, but it is what you are getting everywhere else that can be felt the most.

Anyone who can operate a computer and read instructions can do this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode