Greetings from New Zealand - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-10-2018, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Smile Greetings from New Zealand

Hi folks my username gives the game away - I am from a little place called Hawera on the southern side of Mt Egmont in New Zealand. Been looking at buying a "retirement car" for sometime with all options in the 2 litre SUV / crossover bracket at around the $30 to $40,000 class being considered. Mitsi ASX, CX-5, RAV4, Jeep Compass, Kia Sportage, Nissan Quashqui, Holden (GM) Equinox, etc. Had given the CX-3 the pass as the cargo capacity was a bit on the low side compared to what we had (and still have - a 1997 Honda CRV) until I decided to replace my rusted out non WOF compliant 1990 Ford Courier ute (pick-up) with a 2014 Nissan Navara (Frontier?) which got rid of the lack of storage space - lol. Was going to order a base CX-3 (had 2 schemes I could use which gave an effective 4% discount) but looked at a 2017 Limited (top of the line here) with only 14K on the clock and cheaper than new bottom of the line, and in Soul Red that we pay an extra $300 for here. Needless to say it is now in our shed.
Came here coz I want to find out some technical stuff. Want to fit some HID driving lights as the factory LED headlights lack in long range (500m) punch for use on the back roads of NZ. Either side of the grille there are two pop out bungs that exposes a thread in the end of the chassis . Trying to get some info on what Mazda put them there for (lots of things are removed from our models then sold back to you as an after sales extra for an exorbitant price) - I thought I would find something that screws in to this thread and them hang some 4" HID's on there. Back to the research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Welcome to our happy group! Nice introduction ... thank you! I see from google maps you’re on the North Island ... a man needs good wheels to travel between Aukland and Wellington!

As for your question about driving lights, I thought I saw someone here had installed driving lights ... but maybe it was on carviews minkara jp. (Use google to find it, and of course, google translate to know what they’re saying). I’ve found minkara to be an invaluable source for all things CX-3.

Just waking up over here, more, later :—)

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Driving Lights P.S.

Not where you want to mount them, but to quote our Flying Finn, JPA:

"You can install auxiliary high beam driving lights as I did ... LINK
The LO-beams are actually quite good but HI-beams lack range."

Lots of good info in his thread, including some of the Anchorman's Famous Useful pdfs

post #4 of 7 Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Welcome from Toronto Canada!

2018 CX-3 GT in Crystal White Pearl Mica.
Mods
Lowered 2" on Corksport springs
Corksport axle back exhaust
LED rear reflectors
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
Not where you want to mount them, but to quote our Flying Finn, JPA:
Hi Mainemanx I am curious why you would say that? I thought it would be a good solid place and not too low. Either that or for mounting for a nudge bar, which then I could put lights on (what I have done with my ute (pick-up). Don't think the wifw would like that - the CX-3 is her's she says - lol.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaman View Post
Welcome from Toronto Canada!
Thanks - want to visit there is a couple of years . . .
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn1 View Post
Hi Mainemanx I am curious why you would say that? I thought it would be a good solid place and not too low. Either that or for mounting for a nudge bar, which then I could put lights on (what I have done with my ute (pick-up). Don't think the wife would like that - the CX-3 is her's she says - lol.
Oops, I wasn't clear. I agree, the front tow bar mounts would be the optimum (best?) spot to mount driving lights. My link was meant only as a reference, particularly for the electrical aspects.

For example, ijdmtoy.com has a tow bar license plate bracket that might be adapted. There should be less pricey solutions ... but that might be a start.

P.S. Took a look at Hawera via google maps, interesting town. Moving north, snooping around Aukland, I'm not too sure about McDonalds' "Kiwi Legend"

P.P.S You can find the bracket for US$17 on eBay ... free shipping to the U.S., don't know about N.Z. Caution, it may be too short for the CX-3.

Last edited by mainemanx; 06-14-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode