• 2 Post By LostDutchman
  • 1 Post By st3v3cx-3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Consumption and info on the Diesel engine

Hi , I am new to the forum and I would like to ask regards consumption of petrol 2.0 ltr auto ...I have the 2017 mazda Cx-3 and the maximum I see in consumption is 30.0 mpg ( which I am not happy at all )

Btw I am from Malta and our road are without highways and full of traffic..

I am considering to change it to diesel just because of the consumption but I wanted to ask if there is somebody know what is the real brand of the 1.5 ltr diesel engine

Thanks in advance
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Cool

Welcome to the forum. I am not clear as to why you are unhappy with 30 mpg given your island’s restricted roads and heavy traffic. The EPA mileage is 29 mph city and 34 mpg highway, with 31 mpg combined. So much depends on how much accelerating/braking is required and the driving habits of the owner. It seems to me that your mileage is right in line with the estimates.

An Australian magazine test of the CX-3 actually averaged just 38 mpg with the 1.5 diesel; the claimed value was a much higher 49 mpg. https://www.motoring.com.au/mazda-cx...-review-53633/

Before you sell the petrol CX-3 calculate how much money you will save on fuel with the diesel over a year, then compare to the money you’ll lose selling the petrol car and buying the diesel. You may be well ahead by keeping it.

st3v3cx-3 and Geo-687 like this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
How many miles do you do in a year? Lets say it is 5,000 and do some calculations

1) If I take the current UK petrol and diesel prices of £1.219 and £1.239 per litre, then those work out at £5.53 and £5.63 per UK gallon
2) Say you do 30 mpg on your petrol and could do 45mpg if it were a diesel (although like LostDutchman I reckon that would probably be impossible unless Malta has some nice long motorway like roads you can just cruise along out of stop/go traffic) your 5,000 annual mileage would work out at 166 odd gallons of petrol or 111 gallons of diesel
3) At the prices in 1) that works out at £918 p.a petrol cost or £625 p.a. diesel cost
4) Thus, unless I've made errors in the above workings, using diesel instead of petrol saves the princely sum of £293 p.a. !!!
5) Obviously altering the above to your annual mileage and Maltese petrol and diesel prices will vary this saving but not by a significant amount.

Therefore, there is no way it is worth changing to a diesel car with all the loss in trading in the petrol model - let alone the potential DPF costs using a diesel in low mileage run situations.
Geo-687 likes this.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options

Last edited by st3v3cx-3; 01-04-2018 at 08:53 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys for the info ...
post #5 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Geo , Im from Malta aswell . Last june I bought a Mazda cx3 facelift with 2.0 sky active . I did not use my Mazda daily but with €20 i made more tha 200 kms . It s very good consumption in Malta. In the maltese short roads all the diesel engines have problems with the dpf in Malta .

Last edited by Ryan; 01-09-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode